Uniden new BCD 436 HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

darunimal

A known LSM area and you are complaining more because of that than anything Uniden did or didn't do. Jump with Trentbob and make your own scanner line.

http://forums.radioreference.com/co...bill-defective-first-responder-equipment.html
http://forums.radioreference.com/un...oves-lsm-simulcast-reception.html#post1975319

You've harped on Uniden enough, Whistler didn't get it right either, not their fault, call your Congressman and Senator and tell them how Motorola and Harris and a few others are defrauding tax payer of Billions for system that don't keep our Nations First Responders Safe!

I don't care about us average Joe scanner users.

These people, OUR NATIONS FIRST RESPONDERS, depend on theses system for their LIFE at times and they don't work 99.999999999% of the time.

Last edited:

phillydjdan

You should jump off me and find someone else to rag on, cause first of all, I never said in my previous post that my reasons for wanting a refund was LSM issues. If you've followed my posts on these forums and actually read all of them before spouting off behind the keyboard you would already know that I've determined that every scanner model out there suffers LSM issues, not just the 536. If your ASSumption was accurate I would be asking for refunds for every scanner I have.

Now, what I want my money back for is spending $600 on a scanner full of empty promises and faulty components. My 396XT, 996XT and 996P2 all have bright displays, never had to have the clocks reset, and all of the features on the side of the box worked the day I opened the box. Nobody on this big ball can say that about the 536, not even Paul Opitz. THATS why I want my money back.

But I appreciate your putting words in my mouth. Thanks for stopping by.

NYPDAUX

A known LSM area and you are complaining more because of that than anything Uniden did or didn't do. Jump with Trentbob and make your own scanner line.

http://forums.radioreference.com/co...bill-defective-first-responder-equipment.html
http://forums.radioreference.com/un...oves-lsm-simulcast-reception.html#post1975319

You've harped on Uniden enough, Whistler didn't get it right either, not their fault, call your Congressman and Senator and tell them how Motorola and Harris and a few others are defrauding tax payer of Billions for system that don't keep our Nations First Responders Safe!

I don't care about us average Joe scanner users.

These people, OUR NATIONS FIRST RESPONDERS, depend on theses system for their LIFE at times and they don't work 99.999999999% of the time.
I think they should build these things in the USA maybe then we will be making quality merchandise. What do you think?
You should jump off me and find someone else to rag on, cause first of all, I never said in my previous post that my reasons for wanting a refund was LSM issues. If you've followed my posts on these forums and actually read all of them before spouting off behind the keyboard you would already know that I've determined that every scanner model out there suffers LSM issues, not just the 536. If your ASSumption was accurate I would be asking for refunds for every scanner I have.

Now, what I want my money back for is spending $600 on a scanner full of empty promises and faulty components. My 396XT, 996XT and 996P2 all have bright displays, never had to have the clocks reset, and all of the features on the side of the box worked the day I opened the box. Nobody on this big ball can say that about the 536, not even Paul Opitz. THATS why I want my money back.

But I appreciate your putting words in my mouth. Thanks for stopping by.

Voyager

Yet it is consistently only a few areas that have these LSM issues. Other areas like mine don't seem to have the same LSM issues with our LSM systems. Must be the scanner is the conclusion because Motorola radios work on the system. News flash: no scanner will have the same sensitivity/selectivity/coding as a Motorola radio.

So, it would appear Uniden and Whistler made the scanners specifically to not work in areas like Philly. Is that the real complaint? :D

phillydjdan

Ok, now you're just being an annoying chud. I never said that, stop being an *******.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
... saying only Philly has LSM issues shows a fundamental misunderstanding of LSM... it depends on location (in relation to towers), terrain, antenna and stationary or mobile use (as you pass through and in between the towers)... some will have no problem and others will depending on these factors... it's all over the country not just Philly... to see it any other way just shows a lack of understanding of the issue... denial and rationalization won't make the problem go away... as more and more LSM systems come on line only then will the problem be realized in mass... it is obviously something Uniden and GRE missed in R&D... a new generation of scanners will need to be developed as the country moves into LSM over the years... to those that are happy with the x36's and have no issues consider yourselves lucky and enjoy your radios... some of us can't use them because of the dim display... I also find that the digital audio is muffled and garbled... I too wish I could get my money back... I am replying because you pulled me into this spat while you were unfairly ragging on Dan...

Voyager

Well, as you move, the relationship to the towers change, and while I can't say I've experienced every distance from any number of towers possible, I think I've experienced many.

Yes, other places have similar issues, but Philly and Baltimore and I think Phoenix seem to have it much more often than others. And some don't have it at all. That fact alone tells me it's not a fundamental flaw in the LSM implementation, but another factor as yet unconfirmed. "denial and rationalization won't make the problem go away" - yes, so it's time to stop denying that it might be a factor other than the scanner.

Yes, future systems may or may not have the issue. I would concur with that statement 10000%. You can never know how a system will be set up. And no, Uniden/GRE/Whistler I'm quite certain had nothing to do with the system design. But again, as some LSM systems don't have the issue, it's not a fundamental flaw.

Now, let's try to figure out what it is with THAT system that is different and causes problems....

XTS3000

Well, as you move, the relationship to the towers change, and while I can't say I've experienced every distance from any number of towers possible, I think I've experienced

Heck, you don't even have to move an inch for the signal(s) to sometimes wildly fluctuate from strong to weak.

I am almost right between 2 towers (800mhz) and when watching the control channel on a HP1E using the "RF Power Plot" feature. That 853.xxxx frequency goes from approx -70dBM to -115dBM while never moving or touching the HP1E.

I think what some people are experiencing with Uniden and GRE/Whistler scanners is they are just not sensitive enough to decode a P25 transmissions when it drops down past approx -115dBM.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Well I mind as well jump into the fray. I have three 536HPs. One of them is in Phoenix at my daughter's house. Phoenix has the well noted RWC system that has given some scanners a real difficult time with P25 decoding. I find my 536HP and 436HP to do a great job on that system in Phoenix. I have commented in other posts about their good performance on P25 here on most systems in Los Angeles,
That said, if the boys in Philadelphia say they have problems with these scanners there, then I'm sure they do. Every situation is different. Not only that, I've had a couple of systems here in LA that I can get good decode from about 20 miles away, and at my sister's place about 4 miles away, it sounds terrible.
Probably if we had 50 different people in each major city with all these different scanners, we would get a variety of reports, this one stinks, this one is great, etc. The point is, if someone who has been around the "scanning block" a few times says something doesn't work, then in that situation, it probably doesn't work.
I have a terrible time with the WS1080 out here on some P25 that the x36HPs do well on. That's my experience. None of these scanners are going to work in every situation, in different cities, in the same city on different systems, and probably between two neighbors a mile or two away from each other who are monitoring the same system.
Unfortunately, one universal thing seems to be the "dim screen" and "RTC problem." I know some say they have not experienced it, but I think over time, it is pretty universal. My 536HP in Phoenix is still quite bright, and even on the "low" setting, it is brighter than one of mine here in LA on the "high" setting. Love the features of the x36HPs, but there are some really "crap" components.
As others have also commented, I never had these issues with the x96XTs. The 996P2 and 325P2 seem more solid with regard to QC, but let's see over time.

joeuser

The Wretched
Well said. I'm sure Uniden cannot keep up with every systems nuances - I've had good luck with my 436 but I've also had good luck with my other radios. I have to assume the KSICS network is using generally accepted standards - I'm glad.

Voyager

Well said. I'm sure Uniden cannot keep up with every systems nuances - I've had good luck with my 436 but I've also had good luck with my other radios. I have to assume the KSICS network is using generally accepted standards - I'm glad.

It would be virtually impossible to design firmware that uses different subroutines for every system. It would have to be updated each time a new system came on the air (after that system's setup is analyzed).

But yes, adhering to standards is one thing that has not been proven with the Philly system. Even within the standards, there are setup choices that will affect performance.

With respect to Phoenix, perhaps it was a different system in the area that was the trouble system. I do remember one in the SW that had issues similar to Philly and Balti.

phillydjdan

Honestly I believe the issue is the timing between the tower sites is not just right. It could be that a tech out here isn't doing something right and while the /\/\ radios can compensate the scanners cannot. Here in Philly it is now the Philadelphia, Bucks and Camden County systems that have the issue, so it's likely a tech from this region making his rounds and not doing something right. I know those delay settings have to be JUST RIGHT.

Voyager

I would say that is a VERY distinct possibility, and is one of the system settings I was talking about. It's also very easy to mess up. Could even be a factory tech.

NYPDAUX

Needless to say I never heard back from Uniden wonder if anybody else in the form of the got a letter asking them to send in their radio for repair needless to say it again just another deception by Uniden apparently

NYPDAUX

Yeah but after he try and then I called them and they said yeah we sent the email but only to 14 people but you only have parts to repair 14 units I have not heard back from them since in his time he said that they were no parts available as of yet so who's telling the truth I like to know

Voyager

Likely parts are enroute then. The manufacturer probably sent Uniden some replacements to try before devoting a full stock shipment. Makes perfect sense. They want to make sure the fix works before saying it works.

walter900

The above is a little premature. While we are setting up a process for those of you who are experiencing this issue, the fix will require some parts that have a long lead time. We expect to be able to start the program in a couple of months. In the mean time, we appreciate your patience while we get everything in place. At this time, if you are experiencing either the display backlight fading or real-time clock battery issue, please do not send your scanner in for repair.

As a prospective buyer... I would like to know if Uniden has already made these design changes to "new" or upcoming production stock, and if so, is there a way to tell (perhaps by serial number)??

Status
Not open for further replies.