Uniden new BCD 436 HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYPDAUX

I would love to hear someone post saying that they had the experimental fix done out of the 14 guinea pig and that it's working fine but I haven't seen anybody post saying that they had this fixed done as of yet .

Voyager

Good question - how would you have done it?

That's sort of a copout, but I would have some the same thing I suspect (and partially know) they did - contact the manufacturer with the issue, and have them research/confirm it, then once they have a solution (confirmed fixed parts) I would invite X number of people to test the fix to make sure it works before running full tilt with the repairs (to make sure the fix in fact is a fix). Then after confirmation I would proceed with full on repair policy.

Now, how would you have done it?

NYPDAUX

That's sort of a copout, but I would have some the same thing I suspect (and partially know) they did - contact the manufacturer with the issue, and have them research/confirm it, then once they have a solution (confirmed fixed parts) I would invite X number of people to test the fix to make sure it works before running full tilt with the repairs (to make sure the fix in fact is a fix). Then after confirmation I would proceed with full on repair policy.

I would imagine that Uniden received more than 14 people who sent in their radios for repair being that I posted that email that I had received I was just wondering is it going also going to take too months for someone from Uniden to too posts in this forum if the so-called parts fix actually did work.

Voyager

I'm sure they did, but we aren't talking normal repairs here. We are talking about a test run which is much smaller by definition.

joeuser

The Wretched

That sounds good to me. I don't know how I'd do it, because that's not my field. I'm glad we have someone who is in the field & an authority on the matter to answer these questions though! So, thank you for that!

NYPDAUX

Let's just say Uniden received some scanning and they are going to try the parts that they had available to see if the experimental fix would work with parts you had on hand has any of those things been done and did it work is the ?

Voyager

That sounds good to me. I don't know how I'd do it, because that's not my field. I'm glad we have someone who is in the field & an authority on the matter to answer these questions though! So, thank you for that!

I've never been in the position to need to perform such a large scale recall, but I have some experience in getting parts from overseas and I know logically that you plan a fix and test the fix before rolling it out. Failure to do so means you will likely have to do it again. So, in my opinion they are taking the prudent steps.

Of course, I also understand that anyone who has the issue wants to be one of those 14, and they want theirs fixed before anyone else's.

As for NY's comment about them having parts, that could be true, but I bet they are using parts they ordered to test the fix, then will place the full order once they know the parts will fix the issue. Otherwise, you will spend a lot of money on inventory you cannot use. And let's face it - the Uniden America only performs repairs (not builds), so their parts inventory is much more limited, as is their budget.

NYPDAUX

You are very good spokesperson but you keep avoiding the question we know that yes Uniden requested 14 people not you what Uniden to send an email for repair or for testing whatever you wanna call it the parts with limited and there was only available for 14 people I got that email I'm glad I didn't send my radio because I don't want to be part of a test group where you test something on the radio and if it doesn't work I still don't have the radio so please answer the question did you have the 14 people did you have them installed test parts on the radio and did it work simple answer yes or no.

Voyager

Holy run-on sentence, Batman!

No, I didn't test any radios, as I don't work for Uniden. I was only commenting that they are likely following a logical and practical test run for the permanent solution. Hopefully the 14 who will be a part of it will report that it works. It's too bad you won't be one of them.

NYPDAUX

Well it sure sounded like you were working for them maybe (Upman) could answer the question that I asked you.

Last edited:

Voyager

If you read my posts, I specifically referred to Uniden as "they", not "we".

XTS3000

I'm sure they did, but we aren't talking normal repairs here. We are talking about a test run which is much smaller by definition.

It's around 8 months into the RTC and display problems and Uniden is just getting around to their first beta tests using its customers as the Guinea pig now? Sounds par for the course again for the x36HP's. The radio was born with beta firmware installed, and now the first repairs are beta. How long do we all have to wait for the "test run"? Seems as every step forward Uniden makes with the x36HP's, a new problem pops up.

It's like there is some rookie running the show at Uniden with regards to the x36HP's and its evolution so far.

Voyager

Yes. We all know they should have had the solution before the issue was known - including working out a deal with the manufacturer in case anything happened to the parts provided. Then had independent confirmation that the solution works without issue. That's how it would have worked in a perfect world.

Unfortunately, the world most of us live in is not perfect...

joeuser

The Wretched
Does that only come with a perfect world?

Seems to me, more & more - stuff comes out half baked.

Not many years ago most things just worked as they were supposed to, was that a perfect world?

the fix

It is a shame that these scanners 436HP went out after I believe exhausting testing by the R&D team about the clock issue and to think 8 months after I receive mine the problem still exists.

Voyager

Not many years ago most things just worked as they were supposed to, was that a perfect world?

Not many years ago you were stuck with the firmware that came in the unit. Replacement meant a return to the factory.

Not many years ago you had only a few radio system types.

Not many years ago you had no database to draw from, and often didn't know all the channels in use in your area.

As for that world being more perfect, many would argue it was for several reasons (most of which are not scanner-related).

NYPDAUX

Voyager try and stay calm with these words I'm about to tell you need to stop this perfect world crap and realize that people bought the scanners for good money talking about upwards of $500 and it's been a long time and as soon as people's got the scanner they had many problems I don't know if you like to dish out 500 bucks and have problems I know I don't and other people don't either so please realize a lot of people are pissed off at Uniden and it's going to stay that way until the problems is fixed try not to sound so much like an advocate for Uniden and more like a person that bought the scanner that once his fixed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.