Uniden new BCD 436 HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Microsoft started the sell the beta fix it then sell the new version beta fix it then sell the new version beta until they gave it away this time. Chevy sold cars they new had safety problems it took 10 years get get it fixed and it still is not all done. We have the same scanners you do. You do not want to hear this but the problems have been acknowledged by upman. They have to get 1000's of parts find the most efficient way to do the repairs and setup a way to get them repaired and returned to the customer. You 8 or 10 think you are the only ones and you are not. I remember the TV repairman keeping a TV for weeks to months to replace tubes that were in plug in sockets.

Paulsan

The above is a little premature. While we are setting up a process for those of you who are experiencing this issue, the fix will require some parts that have a long lead time. We expect to be able to start the program in a couple of months. In the mean time, we appreciate your patience while we get everything in place. At this time, if you are experiencing either the display backlight fading or real-time clock battery issue, please do not send your scanner in for repair.

Thank you Upman. Some of us appreciate it.

NYPDAUX

Accepting what upman says that's not the problem I'm wondering if any of the 14 email send in they scanners because they had limited parts to try and see if the Fix would work I like to know because I'm safely assuming at least a couple of the 14 on hand at this point from others and I just like to know if the potential fix actually did work this would give me an idea of up to three months if the fix worked if did not work we could be looking at another 12 months.

Last edited:

joeuser

The Wretched
Dont worry about Voyager - he's the great defender of things needing to be defended. Mostly harmless. At the end of the day - quality has gone downhill in this Wal-Mart generation. People wanted cheap & now our landfills are bloated like Chris Christie at the buffet line. Used to have to pay more for things but they lasted.

Who can forget Mom & Dad's washer & dryer? It's the same one that was your diapers. Now you're lucky to get 20 years & parts?! lol - let's not even go there...

Voyager

A neighbor just passed away a few months ago. She STILL had (and used) the washing machine she purchased in the late 50s. It had the wringer on the top of it.

Dan - you never see me and Iron Man in the same place at the same time either. Your point?

dsalomon

Premium Subscriber
Upman -

It's good to hear a status update. Speaking only for myself (but I'm sure many would echo my sentiments), more frequent periodic updates would go a long way to making the user community feel better about their purchases. I have both a 436 and a 536, and am disappointed about the display and battery issues. Nothing short of a free fix for both of those issues will satisfy me, whether in or out of warranty. These issues are both clearly design faults and the end user should not have to pay for resolution.

Please, please, please issue a status update twice a month, even if the status hasn't changed. Even if it's only a single line, e.g. waiting on sufficient parts stock, it will go a long way. We just want to know that Uniden is still working on resolution of these issues.

One more point, please don't ever release another product that requires that it be powered on to charge the RTC battery. That's just (to use a phrase heard from a co-worker) "felony stupid". My 2p worth for RTC charging design: charge from the main power source all the time. Yes, we'll all know that this will drain the battery over time if no wall adapter is attached. However, that's a much better choice (again, just my opinion) than only charging when the device is in use. I use my 536 much more than my 436 (I work from home). In my situation, that means I have to have my 436 powered on for some time every week simply to charge the RTC battery....that's just absurd.

73 - David Salomon, AG4F

Voyager

My 2p worth for RTC charging design: charge from the main power source all the time.

I don't know why they didn't just use the AA source for the clock. The AA cells have to have tons more capacity over the RTC battery. Hopefully that is their 'fix' for the issue - or at least for the symptom.

phillydjdan

Voyager, I would suggest phoning a friend or family member for help in understanding my point, because I will not be explaining it...

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
... actually Dan you make a good point... I have thought the same thing... what other motive would there be to defend the indefensible even at the cost of sounding foolish if he wasn't actually on Unidens payroll?...

Voyager

Speaking of Felony Stupid - can't record or playback because of low or no batteries? What the...

Not sure which 'side' the felony stupid lies here, but you can't record or play back without batteries since the scanner would have no backup power source to use if it is recording an loses power.

In other words, they are trying to save card crashes.

Darned if they do and darned if they don't. Guess no matter what someone is going to be unhappy.

Better question: Why are some so quick to criticize someone for merely trying to help other Uniden users unless they were on Whistler's payroll? :D

And Dan, unless you are intentionally twisting a very common joke, I get it. I guess you didn't get mine.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
That is what he is saying about the flash cards I pulled a usb jump drive out before it was done writing and it corrupted the usb drive.
Even reading a file you write to the directory of the drive and that could cause a card to be corrupted.

joeuser

The Wretched
Yeah, I suppose not everyone realizes it can just be formatted and used again. OK but they could give me the option to play / record anyway

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
Phillycheesecakeorhoagie dan...your comments bore us....bad assumptions....sheesh...makes us wonder...but your comparison with Voyager and Upman....really?

Status
Not open for further replies.