Uniden NexEdge

Status
Not open for further replies.

paragould12

I Have Noticed Dept. Switching To NexEdge [Including Everyone In My County] Will Uniden Scanners Be Able To Receive NexEdge In The Future? I Have Read About NexEdge On Hear But Dont Understand If Its Possable For Scanner Manufacturers To Offer Or Is Their Licensing Issue? What I'm Asking Is Their Hope For Me Or After 30+ Year's Of Tunning In A Uniden Scanner Is Scanner Days Over When Everyone Around Me Go's To NexEdge?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No need to have every word in caps...

So far the answer is no scanner is supporting NEXEDGE, and probably not in the future. It's likely the specs for this mode are proprietary and expensive (if the specs were even to be released), and there's no real push for it in the market. However, there is software you can use with a discriminator tap that reportedly works with this mode. It's talked about in our digital voice forum, and the wiki is here...

DSD - the RR Wiki

best regards..Mike

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No need to have every word in caps...

So far the answer is no scanner is supporting NEXEDGE, and probably not in the future. It's likely the specs for this mode are proprietary and expensive (if the specs were even to be released), and there's no real push for it in the market.

best regards..Mike

Soon to change: News - 2011 / NXDN(TM)-Forum SITE

NXDN uses the AMBE+2 vocoder, just like P25, however the software that makes it all work is less expensive to license than the P25 versions, so the cost of the radios are cheaper. We've been buying 800MHz NexEdge radios for around $600, and that includes the radio, battery, charger, etc.
Now, there are 2 different trunking protocols, Icom and Kenwood, and they are not compatible, so there is some more work that would need to be done to make this work, at least if you wanted to listen to a trunked system.

Also, since the signal has been digitized, adding encryption is really easy, as easy as checking a box on the set up. So, while it would be easy to add NXDN to a scanner, you may find that there won't be much in the clear.

Demand will end up being the driver. Looking at some of the scanners that are offered out there now, there seems to be a demand for higher end gear. As more NXDN systems roll out, the demand will increase and the manufacturers will likely offer this on some of the higher end models first.

Last edited:

frazpo

I know this thread is old but had to add on to what was previously posted. NEXEDGE is everywhere in my area. If its here then its everywhere. Scanner producers not addressing the increasing numbers of Nexedge systems out there now would be like them not addressing 800 trunking systems 10-15 years ago. I realize the technology challenge and price to produce but it seems that this will be a real issue as the numbers increase at this rate. Can't be good for the hobby. :(

N8IAA

Kenwood and Icom sell radios that you can monitor NEXEDGE. With Uniden being the only manufacturer making digital scanners, I believe we are between a rock and a hard place on any of the new digital modes coming out in the near future in a scanner. Just an add, Yaesu and Moto sell Mototrbo radios. It's just how bad you want to monitor your area as to what you own.
JMTCW,
Larry

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
Kenwood and Icom sell radios that you can monitor NEXEDGE.

To monitor a Kenwood Trunked NEXEDGE system, you'll need a Kenwood radio with the system key (cannot be done listening to the individual frequencies in conventional mode either). Good luck getting that from a system administrator.

The Kenwood and Icom can only monitor conventional frequencies with user programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.