uniden or radioshack scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonk83

i have a pro-197 & i'm looking in to a uniden bcd996xt i am reading the manaul online & it has gps scanning what is that can put your own frequencies which scanner is better for vhf

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
An external GPS can be added to the Uniden BCD996XT to control which channels are considered to be "in range" or not while traveling mobile. It does nothing much while stationary like home-use.

The Uniden HomePatrol-1 has the most complete usage of the GPS to control it since it has every frequency and system in the RR database available to it all the time. The GPS coupled with the "geotag" information for each system or department lets the scanner select what to listen to automatically as you travel. Once again, not needed at home - just enter your zip-code there.

lep

I agree with your basic premise with one minor point, the HP-1 has the data in the Uniden mirror version of the rr.com db. In other words, Uniden 'massages' the rr.com db to remove items that are not suitable to be decoded by the HP-1 and does NOT include them, that sometimes leaves out you might want or need. In other words there is a possible error factor. In my own personal case a well meaning db admin listed my local P-25 system as Phase 2 instead of Phase 1. That made no difference whatsoever to my 996XT which continued to receive the system fine, however, it prevented by HP-1 from hearing them at all until the error was corrected.

N8IAA

i have a pro-197 & i'm looking in to a uniden bcd996xt i am reading the manaul online & it has gps scanning what is that can put your own frequencies which scanner is better for vhf

First, are you going to be using it for a base or mobile? The 996XT is better for VHF scanning. My 197 hears too much on VHF. Which can be a good thing for distant signals. GPS is only useful when mobile. You can have the scanner set up to change to different systems on the go. I suggest the 996XT for mobile because of the ease of turning groups on and off. I have yet to run out of memory on my 396XT. It is used as my main mobile/portable scanner. Using the GPS has a drawback, if you are entering a different lat/long, and listening to something really interesting---the scanner cuts over to the next system. Boom. You're missing out on what is happening on the other system:( To get the better features of the 996XT on the HP-1, you have to spend an additional $99 to get the extreme upgrade.
We can only suggest. It truly is your choice for what you want to pay for.
HTH,
Larry

bonk83

it will be for base use i won't be for mobile will my pro-197 be better on distance signals than the bcd996xt

N8IAA

it will be for base use i won't be for mobile will my pro-197 be better on distance signals than the bcd996xt

I really can't answer that question. My 106, 197, and my 396XT do very well on any of my VHF/UHF conventional frequencies. Distant signals on VHF can travel far, but, mountains, trees, atmospheric conditions all contribute to how a signal is received. But, most of all, the antenna makes or breaks how well a receiver and a transceiver will hear and transmit. Don't have specific knowledge of where you live. Maybe ask in your state forum further down the forums page for a better answer.
Adding a 996XT will only give you more to monitor:)
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.