Like buddrousa, I own both BCDx36HP and TRX units. My views (I'm sure others will have different opinions):
- Overall, the Uniden is a superior scanner for functionality/ease of use/software vs the TRX....the Uniden is a 'proper' high-end scanner: sometimes the Whistler feels a bit more like a prototype.
- Both are good at decoding conventional DMR repeater signals, with excellent voice decode quality.
- The Uniden is superior for properly decoding and following the various types of DMR signalling (Trunked, XPT, TIII etc).
- However, the Whistler is superior for DMR Simplex/Uplink signals where the Uniden really struggles here, in particular on VHF channels.
- Relative to the TRX-1, the 436 eats batteries like they're going out of fashion.
- I prefer the ease with which recording is enabled on the TRX (it just works), but the recording capabilities and ease of playback on the Uniden is better.
- The Whistler is really only gered up for scanning channels - it has very limited tools and functionality to make it easy to search for new channels. As a proper high-end scanner, the Uniden is much better here.
- I won't comment on price, as only you can make a judgement on what you're prepared to pay for what features.
Overall for DMR decoding, if the DMR simplex issues were resolved, and you don't mind swapping batteries more often, then I'd vote for the Uniden every time.