Uniden radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

cb225662

Going to think twice before I buy another Uniden radio. had one update so far on bcd996xt 500.00 dollars is a lot of money, and thier done with it! and the home patrol had a couple all ready. smh

W6KRU

He stated a fact, nothing wrong with that. Some users here feel the XT model need some attention, that Uniden seems to overlook.

Yeah, I've seen people state that Uniden listens to customers and incorporates their suggestions into firmware fixes. I have no idea what they are talking about.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
what updates do people want for the 996XT??? (please dont say provoice TDMA etc)....

Ive seen people state they want firmware updates but dont state what they need fixed... I think some people just want firmware updates just for the sack of having them or feeling like they are getting something more.

the 996XT for me has been a perfect scanner.. audio is amazing (for me)... ive had NO defective units/returns and it does everything it was promised it would do from the start + more (unit id's were added)

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Going to think twice before buying another GM car again. Im still waiting for my 2000 Chev Malibu to get an update as well... I mean $23,000 (canadian) and no updates from Chevrolet or GM... ! And they are done with it?? Yet the newer 6th generation Malibu's have had a couple updates already !!

well.........I am still waiting on my pro-2032, pro-2040,pro-2053 and etc. to update as well......dang it....

Last edited:

Highpockets

what updates do people want for the 996XT??? (please dont say provoice TDMA etc)....

Ive seen people state they want firmware updates but dont state what they need fixed... I think some people just want firmware updates just for the sack of having them or feeling like they are getting something more.

the 996XT for me has been a perfect scanner.. audio is amazing (for me)... ive had NO defective units/returns and it does everything it was promised it would do from the start + more (unit id's were added)

You've been around here long enough to have seen this thread, read it!

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/218460-bcd996xt-still-ver-1-04-a.html

OCO

My dad's Browning Eagle (R27 - S23) is still sitting in the boxes, waiting for the 40 channel upgrade from Browning Labs .... On the other hand, I think current model radios should get equal attention, or maybe an explanation of why some of the things can't be accomplished that were possible in previous generations of the same models.....

Highpockets

Going to think twice before buying another GM car again. Im still waiting for my 2000 Chev Malibu to get an update as well... I mean $23,000 (canadian) and no updates from Chevrolet or GM... ! And they are done with it?? Yet the newer 6th generation Malibu's have had a couple updates already !!

The XT upgrades may be a joke to you, but not to others, wise guy!

W6KRU

I want a fix for the terrible digital decoding on my 396XT. I have error rates over 50 on a regular basis. The audio is amazing. Amazingly bad.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The original post and my reply was about the 996XT...

That being said I have no problems with the decoding on the 50x 396XT scanners ive used myself as long as its connected to a good antenna (for me) it decodes amazingly well !

I wish the volume was a bit louder but thats a hardware due to the small sized speaker... not a firmware update solution.

I want a fix for the terrible digital decoding on my 396XT. I have error rates over 50 on a regular basis. The audio is amazing. Amazingly bad.

W6KRU

The original post and my reply was about the 996XT...

That being said I have no problems with the decoding on the 50x 396XT scanners ive used myself as long as its connected to a good antenna (for me) it decodes amazingly well !

I wish the volume was a bit louder but thats a hardware due to the small sized speaker... not a firmware update solution.

My 396T has P25 error rates in single digits and the 396XT has error rates over 50 under the same conditions. The 396XT audio is unintelligible garbage when the error rate is over 50. The 396T allows manual P25 threshold level per system but that feature was removed from the XTs. The automatic threshold adjustment does not work but we are forced to use it on the XTs.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Simply stating an example... im tired of hearing people asking for firmware updates just because they want an update and complaining because uniden went onto a different model.

I think my example was not a joke but a reality. is it not true??? GM keeps going onto other models and not updating my Malibu!!!

Thanks for calling me wise, I appreciate it.

Read above... The original poster has even said the unit is great he (and others) just want a firmware upgrade and is upset uniden went onto another model 4 months after buying his.

The XT upgrades may be a joke to you, but not to others, wise guy!

Last edited:

Highpockets

Simply stating an example... im tired of hearing people asking for firmware updates just because they want an update and complaining because uniden went onto a different model.

I think my example was not a joke but a reality. is it not true??? GM keeps going onto other models and not updating my Malibu!!!

Thanks for calling me wise, I appreciate it.

Read above... The original poster has even said the unit is great he just wants a firmware upgrade and is mad uniden went onto another model.

You just don't get it, the XT models to some have problems that could be corrected by putting things back that were taken out with the new model.

Last edited by a moderator:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
And I stated I had NO problems with over 50x 396XT units and probably over 50x 996XT. A couple warranty returns on the 396 and NONE on the 996's.

AMAZING decode on the 396 and 996 with a proper antenna hooked up to them.

I dont think Uniden needs to fix anything...

I wont go back and forth with someone who wont even read the original posters replies... just wants to start a flame war.

If you talk to Uniden like that as well, no wonder why they dont help you.

You just don't get it, the XT models to some have problems that could be corrected by putting things back that were taken out with the new model.
I won't go back and forth with you, you appreciate wise, I should have said the back end of a horse.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Its been a great radio! but when buy it and 4 months they come out with another one. I see some people get upset here wont post no more.

No one is upset.
All that is being said is that comparing the 996XT to the HomePatrol is foolish
because the HP-1 is not a successor to the XT line of radios.
Facts:
---The 396XT & 996XT are still current radios (not discontinued) being produced by Uniden America.
---The Uniden HomePatrol HP-1 is a different type of radio with different feature sets and is being produced along side of the XT series of scanners. If offers features that the XT models don't and the XT models offer features that the HP-1 does not.

Your assertion would be like saying the GRE PSR-800 is the successor to the GRE PSR-600. It is not a valid statement.

There are a vocal couple of folks around here that would have you believe because both of them have had issues that means all XT scanners have issues and the whole line of scanners should be recalled. Obviously that is not the case overall as evident by other responses in this thread and in this forum in the past. Is any scanner perfect? No, but the overall positive satisfaction feedback with the XT line of radios speaks volumes.

To sum up: Both the 396XT & 996XT are current models of scanners still being sold and the HP-1 is a scanner that is targeted towards a different userbase than the XT line and is not a successor to the XT line.

As always, the best way to send a message to any manufacturer of any product is to speak with your consumer dollars. I want both GRE & Uniden to continue coming up with new radios with new features so I buy from both. I want both companies to continue to survive as competition is always the best option for everyone. :)

Happy Holidays & Happy Monitoring to all!

Marshall KE4ZNR

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
well said KE4ZNR, great points made.

There are a vocal couple of folks around here that would have you believe because both of them have had issues that means all XT scanners have issues and the whole line of scanners should be recalled. Obviously that is not the case overall as evident by other responses in this thread and in this forum in the past. Is any scanner perfect? No, but the overall positive satisfaction feedback with the XT line of radios speaks volumes.

To sum up: Both the 396XT & 996XT are current models of scanners still being sold and the HP-1 is a scanner that is targeted towards a different userbase than the XT line and is not a successor to the XT line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.