Uniden radios on sale at RadioShack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boatanchor

I really want just one digital scanner and you guys keep bragging how many you buy so cheaply :(

Yes, sickening isn't it.

And you just know that most of the discounted scanners these guys are buying will end up on ebay or elsewhere at a healthy 100-200% profit margin.

I'll get shot down now for jealousy or some other personal failing, but why gloat over the fact that you were able to score half a dozen (or more) 996XT scanners for a hundred bucks each when there are probably numerous people on this forum who love the hobby but can't afford to go out and buy a $400-$600 digital scanner?

SCPD

QRT
Yes, sickening isn't it.

And you just know that most of the discounted scanners these guys are buying will end up on ebay or elsewhere at a healthy 100-200% profit margin.

I'll get shot down now for jealousy or some other personal failing, but why gloat over the fact that you were able to score half a dozen (or more) 996XT scanners for a hundred bucks each when there are probably numerous people on this forum who love the hobby but can't afford to go out and buy a $400-$600 digital scanner?

Yes very true I agree with that

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
If you're gonna sling them on eBay...can you drop the price a little? Seems like you guys jacked it up ~$40-50 in the last couple weeks. Sheesh. Lol.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
The sense of entitlement of some people is mind boggling. Others do legwork or make an effort and get a killer deal, and others feel they should be allowed to buy the fruits of their labor at well below market value.

nautlynch

I did the legwork and simply could not purchase one around here or in Washington state at that price. I also tried to contact the district manager. He never returned my call.

Several years back in the flashlight community there was a closeout sale for HID lights at Sam's Club. One of the members offered community members cost plus shipping for any member without a Sam's Club nearby. Rather than buying all the HID lights and making a profit, he helped other flashlight enthusiast members to get the same great price. I bought one through him.

Last edited:

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Several years back in the flashlight community there was a closeout sale for HID lights at Sam's Club. One of the members offered community members cost plus shipping for any member without a Sam's Club nearby. Rather than buying all the HID lights and making a profit, he helped other flashlight enthusiast members to get the same great price. I bought one through him.

Were there people on that forum begging for handouts? Doing it out of the goodness of your heart is fine, posting here telling people they should sell you a $350 scanner for $100 because you want one is pitiful.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
Just checking would someone have the RS sku number for the BCD996XT? I want to try calling a few local stores.
Thanks

nautlynch

Were there people on that forum begging for handouts? Doing it out of the goodness of your heart is fine, posting here telling people they should sell you a $350 scanner for $100 because you want one is pitiful.

There were people complaining there were no Sam's Club in their state and wanting to buy one at the closeout price. It was not seen as "begging for handouts" nor was it viewed as being "pitiful". It was a chance to help other community members, who were not fortunate to have a Sam's Club in their area, to have the same closeout price. If no one said anything it may not have been offered.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Just checking would someone have the RS sku number for the BCD996XT? I want to try calling a few local stores.

Thanks

Post 8 has a picture of the receipt. 2000621 is the SKU.

I bought 2. I took the time to call around and work with Radio Shack sales people to get the radios. I have a full time job, and I also have a kid. I did this on the way home from work and on the weekend (with my son). He also likes to see cool stuff at Radio Shack. If you are late to reading this forum, you are probably a little late for finding radios. For those of you reading for several weeks and complaining, you could have done the same.

None of the 996xt's that I bought went for sale. They did cause a BCT15 to hit eBay for $120. I plan on enjoying my 996xt's for the same 8 years that I enjoyed my BCT15.

There are people complaining that people are selling these radios for a profit. If I wanted to buy and sell things for a profit, I would be in Real Estate, not radios. Kingmobileaudio stated he was giving them as gifts. I think that does a lot for our hobby. I trust he is honoring his statement.

Long story short, if you don't find a Radio Shack that will work with you, try another. Most people live within driving distance to several stores. You live within phone range of about 3000 stores. I called many stores before I found someone that was willing to help. If you talk to someone that understands the economics of selling a $400 radio for $100 (ie a store manager) they will not be eager to help bring in radios from other stores. If you find someone that sees it as a $100 commission sale for each radio, they are probably a little more excited about assisting you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.