Uniden - Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

pseconds

Minneapolis and several surrounding suburbs have already re-banded. Our local county is in the process of reprogramming radios now and rebanding is expected soon. Everything works fine on my 396t. It's just a matter of plugging in the new control channels. Take a look at the Minnsota thread for more info.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
One needs to understand that programming true P25 systems would not be affected by rebanding. Those systems that are Motorola and not P25 are the ones that are the real issue.

73 Mike

JGP

The City of Greenfield, WI, is a six frequency, Motorola Type Two Smartnet system. Frequency 860.4625 was dropped, and a new frequency of 854.2125 was added to replace it.

The other frequencies are 856.4625, 857.4625, 857.9875, 858.9875, and 859.4625. Scanners still work the same with the change.

n2mdk

There is a thread here about "true" rebanding of Motorola systems http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100058
A lot of the systems have simply been frequency shifted moving down 15MHz. True rebanding as I call it means a shift in the frequency allocation and spacing of the Motorola channels. Some of the GRE made radios such as the Pro-96, PSR-500/600 can handle this because they use custom tables the Unidens will require a firmware change, since a number of these systems are known I imagine Uniden is working on the problem.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I have held on to my RS-PRO92 Classic for that reason of rebanding because it uses the "sub-audible tone" to trunk Motorola systems and is suppose to work fine on rebanding....I have not heard from anyone in rebanding land that has a PRO92??....

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
UPMan

Forget the question I asked about rebanding, I purchased a psr-600 instead. :)

Despite your individual solution and the generally off topic comments about where and what, I am still curious as to Uniden's progress on this point.

Paul, since we know the LCN's and how they are applied now (indeed for almost 3 months now), is there a reason we have not heard any buzz at all on this issue?

slicerwizard

I am still curious as to Uniden's progress on this point.

Paul, since we know the LCN's and how they are applied now (indeed for almost 3 months now), is there a reason we have not heard any buzz at all on this issue?
The programmers back in Japan appear to move at a snail's pace and even simple fixes seem to take forever.

A rebanding patch requires a per-system change (another system type choice, or a new entry in the system options menu), which means changes to UASD and to the serial protocols used by the 246T, 396, 996, 330...

And then there are the owner's manuals that need updating...

To Uniden, this is a big deal and something they shy away from. How many (hidden!) scanner-wide options have they added so far that should've been system specific? There are the analog/digital AGC settings and that new P25 Waiting Time; so now I can "improve" things on one problematic system by missing the start of comms on every other Moto 3600 bps system! Uniden just won't bite the bullet and do these things properly.

To this day, every time I use my 396 in the car with the audio routed through the stereo, I have to listen to the ticking sound it makes as it briefly enables, then disables the 396's audio amp as it switches from one trunking system to the next. We're supposed to handle the 200 talkgroup limit by splitting them across two systems (never mind how that causes its own problems), but how do we handle the never ending "tick tock" it creates?

Fixing that bug is dead simple - no new poweron sequence, no menu changes, no protocol change, no UASD or manual updates, nada. But they won't do it. If that fix can't happen, how long will a major change take?

Y'know, when fixes take this long, it's a pretty good indication that the code (scanner firmware and UASD) are poorly written, inflexible and prone to breaking when changes are attempted.

D

DaveNF2G

Japanese engineering started off as taking foreign inventions and finding ways to make them smaller. They are learning originality.

The radio companies based in Japan all have problems coping with American frequency allocations and radio system designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.