uniden remot head

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman1991

Premium Subscriber
ok its my understanding that when you use the remote head and locate the scanner in the trunk you will need to run and external speaker also , am i rite?

andyadler

Premium Subscriber
Also, remember that you can't power the scanner up/down via the remote head. That might be an issue if you mount the radio in the trunk.

A.

Last edited:

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
A good spot for the large scanner is under either front seat so you can reach the on/off switch, plus you need to run a speaker line from that set, so the closer to the cab area the better. my 2 cents

DogBone384

I have a 15XT & remote head in my truck. I mounted the scanner in my center console and the remote head on the dash. I wired both to accessory power so they both go off when I shut the truck off.

rkorchensky

Premium Subscriber
When I installed mine, I installed a small 12 volt relay directly off the fuse block and then fed the radio from there.

The relay goes to a fuse on the vehicle fuseblock that goes off when the key is turned off.

When you turn the key off power is lost to the radio.

When you turn the key on the radio comes alive with the same volume, squelch, settings that it had before.

Works like a charm and costs $1 or $2 for the relay.

OCO

rkorchensky:
You should check the duty cycle of the relay - the coil should be rated for 100% (full time energized) or you'll see smoke sooner or later. This applies also to using Ford style starter solenoids as a relay - their coil duty cycle is not 100%..

W2PMX

rkorchensky:
You should check the duty cycle of the relay - the coil should be rated for 100% (full time energized) or you'll see smoke sooner or later. This applies also to using Ford style starter solenoids as a relay - their coil duty cycle is not 100%..
Yet they held up for years running that way, back when the radio was mounted in the trunk and drew many amps. I still have some that were pulled from service after more than 10 years of 8 hour a day power-on.

OCO

Yet they held up for years running that way, back when the radio was mounted in the trunk and drew many amps. I still have some that were pulled from service after more than 10 years of 8 hour a day power-on.

Current capacity of the relay contacts has nothing to do with relay coil duty cycle. Are you questioning the need for a duty cycle rating of the coils? That coil has to dissipate heat; the longer it's energized, the hotter it gets . While many times the coils just fail, a cheap relay in a plastic case can have more catastrophic results. Your results (if the relays were actually energized continuously for 8 hours at a time) suggest a properly spec'd part, whether you knew it or not..

sandman1991

Premium Subscriber
remote head and location of scanner

well under the seat sounds good how ever i lease my cr so i am limited to what i can do . i measured the distance between two holes in the trunk and they mach up with the bracket. and the dealer said that if i let them tap into the fuse block it would shut off with the switch.and just run cables under the door jam

Status
Not open for further replies.