Uniden Repair Backed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmeyer101

Premium Subscriber
Sent in my dead Pro-96, unit was received (per Uniden Website) on 27 August.

However, there appears to be no progress (at least no status updates) so far, and ship date is listed as tomorrow.

Just trying to manage expectations - does Uniden do FCFS, or am I prioritized behind Uniden model repairs?

Thanks

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
FCFS. I have no direct visibility into the repair queue. Typically, status is not updated until either the estimate date is passed or the repair is completed.

county

Premium Subscriber
Unless I'm missing something, the Pro-96 was made by GRE. I'm not sure Uniden will be able to help with its repair.

JamesO

I heard that the repair rates have increased from the FLAT $50 rate. Is that true?

This look likes this sux!!!!

So I have had a 996XT sitting here for about 9 months I wanted to have repaired, but held off due to the 536HP fiasco and issues I had with a prior repair.

So it looks like the 996XT flat rate repair went from $49.95 to $79.95!!!

But what is really ironic, is Uniden claims it will repair other vendors scanner for $69.95???

So Uniden can repair competitors products for $10 cheaper than they will repair one of their own products that they are the masters of??

Kind of seems like Uniden does not want to keep any loyal customers here??

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It might have something to do with the "competitor" repairs being limited to common smaller parts--brand-specific major parts are not covered/repairable.

mule1075

Feed Provider

So I have had a 996XT sitting here for about 9 months I wanted to have repaired, but held off due to the 536HP fiasco and issues I had with a prior repair.

So it looks like the 996XT flat rate repair went from $49.95 to $79.95!!!

But what is really ironic, is Uniden claims it will repair other vendors scanner for $69.95???

So Uniden can repair competitors products for $10 cheaper than they will repair one of their own products that they are the masters of??

So what's the big deal pay the 79.95 and get it fixed or sell it outright broken and somebody else will send it.Then buy what you want new for much more then the repair costs.And really a price increase in repair was bound to happen at some point.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

If that rate includes parts & labor, it's a deal. You don't want to work for nothing, why should someone else? Especially someone who has the training and skills you apparently do not.

Trying to intimidate Uniden in a public form is a cheap shot, don't you think?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
This as a decision made after analysis of our actual average repair costs. We've been at $49.99 for many years. I think you will find that it is in line with what you would pay for factory repair from manufacturers of similar products.

bwilborn

So what's the big deal pay the 79.95 and get it fixed or sell it outright broken and somebody else will send it.Then buy what you want new for much more then the repair costs.And really a price increase in repair was bound to happen at some point.

Exactly. I'll take that broken 996 off his hands for $100. After all, it's not doing anything right now...

-- B

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

LOL.... Some how I think we all knew you would see it that way !! :roll:

AC2OY

Years ago I had my Realistic Pro-2006 shipped out of Radio Shack and repaired for 65 bucks. I thought it was worth it they repaired my scanner that I payed 300 for. I still kick myself for selling that thing at a garage sale was still running like a champ!

JamesO

If that rate includes parts & labor, it's a deal. You don't want to work for nothing, why should someone else? Especially someone who has the training and skills you apparently do not.

Trying to intimidate Uniden in a public form is a cheap shot, don't you think?

Not trying to intimidate Uniden, not sure how "I" or "Anyone else" could intimidate Uniden???

And no this is not a "cheap shot".

Uniden raised the repair price 62% in a single step. This is a BIG jump, but if they raised the repair price this much in a single step, there are/were clearly something else going on. It would have been a lot more useful/helpful if Uniden would have included return shipping in the repair price, even if it was slightly more expensive. The $10 may actually be a bit high if they have bulk shipping agreements and it seems a bit unfair for someone that ships a small handheld in for repair pays the same as someone that sends a base/mobile unit in for repair. So the new $79.99 repair cost comes out in the $100 range by the time shipping is paid both ways.

But what kind of smacks you in the face is they will repair non Uniden products cheaper than their own products? Maybe their level of repair for non Uniden products in not involved, however, there is nothing stating any of this on the Uniden web site.

I held off sending my item in due to the all the 536HP that were being sent back and the fact that there was a problem with the repair group packing the return with anything other than some wadded up paper in the box and scanner were suffering shipping damage. Figured I would give the repair group some time to hopefully get their act together. Also the Repair Groups was VERY bad about communication and being able to be contacted. The phone number they had on their repair documents was busy for over 6 months and likely still is. If I find the number I will call it again just for kicks and see if it is still busy.

As for repairing it myself, I likely could, but without schematics available and some of the parts covered in epoxy this makes is a bit more of a challenge.

What I also found interesting is when looking over the Repair Group web section it is unclear if the HP-1 is still being repaired. It did not matter how I entered the HP-1 wording, nothing came up. Would be much more helpful if there was some clear why to figure out what scanners are being repaired and for how much, a simple spread sheet or basic document indicating what scanners they repair and the repair fee would be much more helpful in case someone does not type in the exact model info correctly.

Anyway, someone stated they thought the repair prices had increased, I checked on a a few prices, they had increased, I put the info out and made a few observations and comments and I am not being told I am making cheap shot at Unden??

Oh well, just stating the facts and see a problem where there is a 60% price increase in a single move, this tells me something else is wrong!! I hope for $40 more the shipping department can at least package a scanner as well as I do when I ship it.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

JamesO

From Uniden's repair page:

Send Item for Repair

ModelRepair AvailableRepair PriceHOMEPATROL-1 Yes $79.95​

Warranty Policy / Repair Rates / Repair Status / Send Item for Repair[/QUOTE}

I guess I tried EVERY combination of Home Patrol configuration other than HOMEPATROL-1. I know in the past choices like Home Patrol, HP-1 pulled up the model. But also other partial model numbers would pull up options.

I stand corrected as I just flipped my HP-1 over and looked closely as the back of the unit and the model is listed as HOMEPATROL-1. But after having the unit for over 2 years I and others still refer to it as the HP-1 most of the time!

JamesO

Price on non-Uniden scanner was also raised.

I am sure it was, it just defies logic that you charge more to repair your own products than another vendors product?

Kind of like taking my GMC to a Ford Dealer, you would assume that since the Ford Dealer is not trained and likely does not have all the special tools or documentation for the GMC, why would the Ford Dealer repair a GMC for less than the Ford?

If they were to perform an oil change each vehicle took the same amount and type of oil, I would at least expect the oil change price to be the same.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
it just defies logic that you charge more to repair your own products than another vendors product

Not when you account for the limitations on repairing non-Uniden products. Only common parts can be repaired/replaced, not custom parts that are unique to non-Uniden products, such as circuit boards, displays, keyboards, etc. How hard is that to figure out???

JoeyC

Correct. Proprietary parts cannot be replaced so the flat-rate repair is lower. That makes sense. James feels the need to have a footprint in every single Uniden thread, plus I think he gets paid by the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.