Uniden Repair Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Hello all!

I sent my scanners In a couple weeks ago for repairs and they don't seem to be up the Uniden repair page site yet. I'm guessing the brutal Texas storm must be slowing down the repair process on top of COVID restrictions?

Thank you

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Received: 1/7/21
My estimated ship date shows 2/4......

No updates since to the SRO, or the case since it was received.
Yea, the weather... but 2/4 was WAY before the weather hit.

JoeBearcat, it's 2/22 - I want my radio back!!!!!
SRO 2016494

ems170

Feed Provider
I hate to break it to you, but I sent a radio in around 12/15. It had an expected return date of 1/14. I called the other day to follow-up and they said that they do not have the needed board and there is no estimate of when it will be available. I asked them what is next, or if there anything that they can do to expedite the process. They said there is nothing that can be done.

MStep

Well there goes my planned SDS100 purchase. :cry: I know. Covid, storms of the century, factors beyond control, etc. But Uniden is a multi-billion dollar world-wide corporation. They can certainly afford to open up a second repair facility in a different part of the United States. Yes, it could take 6 to 12 months to accomplish that, but perhaps the current circumstances will provide the necessary "wake-up call".

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Well there goes my planned SDS100 purchase. :cry: I know. Covid, storms of the century, factors beyond control, etc. But Uniden is a multi-billion dollar world-wide corporation. They can certainly afford to open up a second repair facility in a different part of the United States. Yes, it could take 6 to 12 months to accomplish that, but perhaps the current circumstances will provide the necessary "wake-up call".

But how many people are willing to pay for that new facility? And what guarantee is there that some emergency won't pop up in both locations? The 40-ish year track record says the existing facility is sufficient for nearly all cases. /nearly/

Uniden America is neither a billion-dollar corporation nor worldwide. There are also not enough repairs to justify the expense of a duplicate facility to address freak anomalies like we have currently. And again, where would you put it that would ensure one would always be available?

Last edited:

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
But how many people are willing to pay for that new facility? And what guarantee is there that some emergency won't pop up in both locations? The 40-ish year track record says the existing facility is sufficient for nearly all cases. /nearly/

Uniden America is neither a billion-dollar corporation nor worldwide. There are also not enough repairs to justify the expense of a duplicate facility to address freak anomalies like we have currently. And again, where would you put it that would ensure one would always be available?

Joe, would you be able to confirm that due to the winter storm in Texas, that there is delay with repairs?

Thank you

MStep

I stand corrected, Million, not Billion. According to the Uniden Wikipedia page, they had nearly (and certainly closer then I) to 3/4 billion revenue in 2007. "In 2007, Uniden had a revenue of 77.7 billion yen. Just three years later in 2010, Uniden reported a revenue of just 35.5 billion yen."

So for whatever reasons, the company took a bad hit in those three years. But that page also says they do operate globally. I think that many here would agree that there are few civilized places on Earth where Uniden is not represented.

But I think you are missing the bigger picture Joe. There seems to be an undercurrent brewing that for whatever reasons, natural or man-made, Uniden is having an issue with repairs. With turn-around times. They were clearly not prepared for these types of events. Having one repair facility for the entire United States gets back to the old adage of not "putting all your eggs in one basket".

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
So many people today are brought up used to getting instant gratification from almost everything they do. Other's learn to be patient and continue to live on even if they have to wait a little now and then. It makes me wonder how people are able to wait 9 months for their children to be born? Oh wait, they're not covered under Amazon's PRIME membership benefits! :D

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Joe, would you be able to confirm that due to the winter storm in Texas, that there is delay with repairs?

Thank you

I will ask, but I don't see how there would not be a delay given the power unavailability.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
But I think you are missing the bigger picture Joe. There seems to be an undercurrent brewing that for whatever reasons, natural or man-made, Uniden is having an issue with repairs. With turn-around times. They were clearly not prepared for these types of events. Having one repair facility for the entire United States gets back to the old adage of not "putting all your eggs in one basket".

Perhaps you should make yourself available to Uniden to offer your expertise, since it appears you have multi-dimensional experience with electronic manufacturing on a large scale, and along with the requisite knowledge of design, engineering, implementation, service and repair of same - even in the light of circumstances beyond anyones control.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I stand corrected, Million, not Billion. According to the Uniden Wikipedia page, they had nearly (and certainly closer then I) to 3/4 billion revenue in 2007. "In 2007, Uniden had a revenue of 77.7 billion yen. Just three years later in 2010, Uniden reported a revenue of just 35.5 billion yen."

So for whatever reasons, the company took a bad hit in those three years. But that page also says they do operate globally. I think that many here would agree that there are few civilized places on Earth where Uniden is not represented.

Wow. Figures from over 14 and 11 years ago?

And you are still conflating Uniden America with Uniden. They are not the same company.

Next, do you realize a Yen is about 10 CENTS? 78 billion Yen is LESS THAN one Million dollars. Using your figures, the revenue for 2010 was about $350k. That won't even buy the building for a second repair facility. Of course, this is still using Uniden figures and not Uniden America figures, so....

While I agree with the "not putting all your eggs in one basket" part, there are several pieces you are missing. First, the corporate structure. Uniden America is not Uniden. There are very few companies that have multiple repair facilities across the USA. Some major global corporations don't even have any in the USA. Next, even within Uniden, the scanner division is not the entire company.

Yes, the world is a mess right now. There are very few who don't know that. Yes, the natural disaster doesn't help. Neither of these are things Uniden can prepare for. If you believe they are, then I would ask what is next so I can forewarn management to prepare.

While I would love to debate the finer points of economics, that really is OT for this thread.

MStep

Perhaps you should make yourself available to Uniden to offer your expertise, since it appears you have multi-dimensional experience with electronic manufacturing on a large scale, and along with the requisite knowledge of design, engineering, implementation, service and repair of same - even in the light of circumstances beyond anyones control.

Absolutely. I would be more than happy to offer my expertise and advice, based on my vast experience in both marketing, electronics, public relations, and the like. As long as they understand, I don't come cheap. I'm willing to entertain any reasonable offer they make to help get them back on track. I would further venture to say that there are others here with even better qualifications than my own, that could turn that service department around very quickly, providing that a free hand and the right resources were dedicated to the cause.

MStep

Snipped for brevity....)

Yes, the world is a mess right now. There are very few who don't know that. Yes, the natural disaster doesn't help. Neither of these are things Uniden can prepare for. If you believe they are, then I would ask what is next so I can forewarn management to prepare.

While I would love to debate the finer points of economics, that really is OT for this thread.

You asked, so I shall answer to the best of my ability.

Now on one item I will agree, economics discussion is out for now. And I agree with your second point. The world is in a mess right now. In this current iteration, it has been since the time that Covid first emerged in Asia in December 2019. In February and March of the following year, it began to have further ramifications here in the United States.

Joe has stated that he "would ask what is next so I (he) can forewarn management to prepare." You may call me a pessimist. Others would say, a realist. So prepare, prepare, prepare. I think it's gonna be more of the same. Even with "herd immunity" Covid and it variants will continue to be a threat.

And so will storms and other "acts of God". History has a way, sometimes on its own, and sometimes with man's help, to repeat itself.

Preparing for these types of emergencies also requires a good deal of pre-planning. I hope the heads at Uniden have learned that lesson. Lessons like to contract out to companies that can provide emergency generators on site when needed with 12-24 hours notice.

To prepare special means of transportation for the workers who must report to the plant who no longer have their own methods of transport. And to facilitate that contracts with busing and rail companies be in place to start moving people in and out of plants and conditions warrant.

Not sure the repair department is operating around the clock, but I would put them on a 24/7 schedule to catch up.

And develop better lines of communication between Uniden and its subsidiaries, such as Uniden America and the like. And between the production, sales and service departments, and all other departments, so everyone is operating out of the same playbook during an emergency. And most of all, between the consumers and the company to advance goals and achieve ends. Folks with radios in for repair should not be left in the dark. And still there is so much more that can be done.

The most important lesson every firefighter learns is to "expect the unexpected". Commercial entities have to start thinking"emergency" and planning along those same lines.

You have asked what is next, and I have given my best assessment based on my current knowledge and impressions.

I guess the thread will now continue with Uniden Repair Delays. Let's hope that they can use some of this to turn that around.

Last edited:

MStep

And you are still conflating Uniden America with Uniden. They are not the same company.

So Uniden Japan and Uniden America are two completely different entities with no reliance or affiliation with each other? I am surprised if that's true. I think there is a little confusion here. It seems that Japan is the parent company who calls the shots with subsidieries around the world. I live to learn. But it does not invalidate problems at Uniden USA.

Last edited:

durango5550

Booger D.
I was advised by Uniden , My screen repair is at the mercy of parts. The screen is on back order with an unknown date of receipt. I had two options, Wait for the part for the repair to be completed , Or have the unit shipped back without repair. I think I'll wait, My life is not going to end without my scanner sitting on my desk.

I shipped my scanner back in December.

" Patience is a virtue ".

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Absolutely. I would be more than happy to offer my expertise and advice, based on my vast experience in both marketing, electronics, public relations, and the like. As long as they understand, I don't come cheap. I'm willing to entertain any reasonable offer they make to help get them back on track. I would further venture to say that there are others here with even better qualifications than my own, that could turn that service department around very quickly, providing that a free hand and the right resources were dedicated to the cause.

Well there goes the second repair facility if they have to pay you a salary. I am to understand they don't come cheap as well.

People need to calm down. Uniden is doing the best they can with everything going on (Power out, Covid delays, chilly days by north Idaho standards LOL, Etc.)

Like tracking things of a multi billion dollar entity? Try USPS (2019 Operating revenue, 71.1 b b b b b Billion DOLLARS). How many packages are lost? I know I have not received packages that show "still in transit" over a year ago. Other Packages that show the same but was delivered.

MStep, Might I point you to the Postal service as I'm sure they could use some of your skills. LOL

Honestly, everyone needs to understand things happen and have patience.....

Said woman take it slow and things will be just fine
You and I'll just use a little patience
Said sugar take the time cause the lights are shining bright

(Sorry couldn't resist)

MStep

Well there goes the second repair facility if they have to pay you a salary. I am to understand they don't come cheap as well.

People need to calm down. Uniden is doing the best they can with everything going on (Power out, Covid delays, chilly days by north Idaho standards LOL, Etc.)

Like tracking things of a multi billion dollar entity? Try USPS (2019 Operating revenue, 71.1 b b b b b Billion DOLLARS). How many packages are lost? I know I have not received packages that show "still in transit" over a year ago. Other Packages that show the same but was delivered.

MStep, Might I point you to the Postal service as I'm sure they could use some of your skills. LOL

Honestly, everyone needs to understand things happen and have patience.....

Said woman take it slow and things will be just fine
You and I'll just use a little patience
Said sugar take the time cause the lights are shining bright

(Sorry couldn't resist)

Well that's all easy enough to say, but I have a lot of empathy for folks who have spent 600 - 700 of hard earned and long-saved money for receivers that have suddenly gone bad and find that they have no recourse but to wait for two or three months (or more) to get their equipment back, because the company that manufactured said equipment cannot even get the parts to replace defective boards and the like.

Empathy for guys (and gals) who have drooled over magazine ads and read reviews for a product that they could only dream about for months or years, and finally face this type of disappointment.

Unlike you, I for one do not believe that Uniden is doing the "best they can" under the circumstances. But that's one man's opinion. Reflected by some of the posts here on the threads.

And I'm not sure what the postal service has to do with this. It's a non-sequitur. As far as the Postal Service is concerned--- they don't need my help--- they were saved by Amazon.

I tend to be more of a consumer advocate than a company advocate. And of course Uniden would have to pay a salary---- I don't do charity work for commercial money-making enterprises. I happily do a lot of charity work for non-profits. I have no problem making that contribution to society.

As for myself, I am very calm, and will continue to wait and see what develops. But I am going to hold off on the SDS100 purchase until I have a better idea how long it is going to take for the Uniden repair situation to "normalize". My gut instinct tells me others are also a bit nervous about purchasing a "flagship" SDS100 or SDS200 right now.

As I am posting this, I just saw Durango's post above yours where he points out that there is no ETA's for the parts that are needed, and that he is given a Hobson's-type choice; either Uniden keeps it until whenever, are they will return it to him in it's current broken state. His attitude that patience is a virtue is a blessing on him. Good for you Duragno.

I read these posts and I feel for these folks. Let's not make jest or jokes out of their misfortune.

Last edited:

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Don't get me wrong. I feel for them too, honestly.

In all sectors of manufacturing we are seeing backlogs. from airbags for replacement, radio equipment, parts for electronics (Mostly made overseas) there is shortages.

As for Uniden saying they can't give a ETA, I guess I look at it another way. They could say give us a month. a month later say still no parts give us another month.

If they don't have the parts its kinda hard to fix it.

Should Uniden take a new one off the shelf, yeah, I think it would go along way in the PR department.

Busting JB in the chops isn't the answer.

durango5550

Booger D.
Well that's all easy enough to say, but I have a lot of empathy for folks who have spent 600 - 700 of hard earned and long-saved money for receivers that have suddenly gone bad and find that they have no recourse but to wait for two or three months (or more) to get their equipment back, because the company that manufactured said equipment cannot even get the parts to replace defective boards and the like.

Empathy for guys (and gals) who have drooled over magazine ads and read reviews for a product that they could only dream about for months or years, and finally face this type of disappointment.

Unlike you, I for one do not believe that Uniden is doing the "best they can" under the circumstances. But that's one man's opinion. Reflected by some of the posts here on the threads.

And I'm not sure what the postal service has to do with this. It's a non-sequitur. As far as the Postal Service is concerned--- they don't need my help--- they were saved by Amazon.

I tend to be more of a consumer advocate than a company advocate. And of course Uniden would have to pay a salary---- I don't do charity work for commercial money-making enterprises. I happily do a lot of charity work for non-profits. I have no problem making that contribution to society.

As for myself, I am very calm, and will continue to wait and see what develops. But I am going to hold off on the SDS100 purchase until I have a better idea how long it is going to take for the Uniden repair situation to "normalize". My gut instinct tells me others are also a bit nervous about purchasing a "flagship" SDS100 or SDS200 right now.

As I am posting this, I just saw Durango's post above yours where he points out that there is no ETA's for the parts that are needed, and that he is given a Hobson's-type choice; either Uniden keeps it until whenever, are they will return it to him in it's current broken state. His attitude that patience is a virtue is a blessing on him. Good for you Duragno.

I read these posts and I feel for these folks. Let's not make jest or jokes out of their misfortune.

I'm not happy about it what so ever. It does suck , but coming onto a forum to whine about it is not going to make things any better. Just getting yourself fired up for no reason. I'd rather them tell me they don't know when it will be in, than lie to me and get my hopes up. Poop happens , their isn't a single company out there that is perfect , If there was I wish they made scanners! :) Let's not forget about this "pandemic" that we are facing. There are things that are not in Uniden's control. Even the screen flicker isn't their fault. This issue obviously is not in all the units and had it acted up in the warranty period they would have covered the cost. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.