Uniden Repair Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Wow. No, you cannot borrow a scanner. Just kidding. Since we are in The Tavern, I think I can mention that I have met several people in my life that seem to carry with them a force that interferes with electronics.

This might make an interesting read for you:

Could you be a "SLIder"? I thought those were just While Castle Hamburgers.

I think its just been bad luck. I might give Uniden a call and see if I can check the status that way since there has been zero updates on the website since it arrived in Texas. It's probably not even at the "received" status yet because of the winter storm.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Don't feed the troll.... :LOL:

View attachment 99547
Geeze, reading this thread makes me want to have a drink LOL. Some interesting observations. One thing, UPM has said that he does not have control over the repair department.

I didn't realize that the repair department was in such shape. I remember there was a shutdown for the China virus but some of these issues appear to have happened before the storm issues and power outages. I'm amazed that there are so many Uniden radios in need of repair. That seems to be the big issue with the backup also.

A solution to the repair backup would be to make changes in production QC that would produce less radios that need repair. Preferably very very few radios that need repair. That makes sense to me.

There's a whole new market out there of people that want to purchase the 100 and 200 but are not because of the identified issues on these forums. As I said, a top priority would be to make production line changes and eliminate these issues, if you're going to do that, eventually you will have less repairs, however the bad news is...

Uniden would have to have an official policy to repair the csj free of charge regardless if the warranty is expired, not on a case-by-case basis but no questions asked. Anyone who wants the hum repaired properly and permanently also free of charge even if the warranty has expired. I guess this backup puts that plan out the window.

If the quality control was improved on the production line with assurances... then there's a whole new market out there that will be buying these radios and Uniden will sell more radios if and I say if that is indeed their mission???

Love to be a fly on the wall at Uniden, what is their business plan? What do they have planned for the future, if anything? How do they feel about the loss of police transmissions spreading faster than the virus and how it affects their business of producing and selling police scanners? Food for thought.

Interesting thread.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I did not read all of the previous comments. I already expected the Texas ice storm to have an impact on Uniden's everyday operations. I am also curious how hard they were hit with COVID and whether they had to make more distancing room as some businesses are having to do. I will wait on sending in my 436HP.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
I did not read all of the previous comments. I already expected the Texas ice storm to have an impact on Uniden's everyday operations. I am also curious how hard they were hit with COVID and whether they had to make more distancing room as some businesses are having to do. I will wait on sending in my 436HP.

I think they were working through COVID ok, when the north pole went south on vacation last week it really did them in down there. I heard about some chip shortage going on now too, PC video cards are nearly impossible to find. I wonder if that's yet another contributing factor?
If you don't mind my asking, what's wrong with your 436?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I think they were working through COVID ok, when the north pole went south on vacation last week it really did them in down there. I heard about some chip shortage going on now too, PC video cards are nearly impossible to find. I wonder if that's yet another contributing factor?
If you don't mind my asking, what's wrong with your 436?

It is an obvious problem to this listener. It took a nose dive after the cat knocked it off onto the floor. The bottom of the SMA thread broke off. The display window is also scratched.

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
Received: 1/7/21
My estimated ship date shows 2/4......

No updates since to the SRO, or the case since it was received.
Yea, the weather... but 2/4 was WAY before the weather hit.

JoeBearcat, it's 2/22 - I want my radio back!!!!!
SRO 2016494
They received my radio on 2/22. I would be happy to get an acknowledgment or a SRO showing they received it. They won’t even take time to answer a email.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Was it shipped to something called saddle creek I think it is... Because if it is, that's not the repair center yet...

I can't find my info from when I sent my 436 back 2019 for the repair campaign...
I think it was called Saddle Creek... It is another package handler that then delivers it to the repair center...
You won't see anything on your SRO until Uniden gets it from them and logs it into the repair queue...

Found the pict of it though...

Saddle C.jpg

Last edited:

Airdorn

Ok, what do you guys think... hold off on an SDS200 purchase? I just got back into the hobby and that thing looks pretty awesome but this repair dept stuff is a wee-bit scary...

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Ok, what do you guys think... hold off on an SDS200 purchase? I just got back into the hobby and that thing looks pretty awesome but this repair dept stuff is a wee-bit scary...

It's up to you if you want to wait... The only issue I had was the Hum... But I did the fix myself,,, Been fine ever since...
No other problems with it at all... Works fine...

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
Was it shipped to something called saddle creek I think it is... Because if it is, that's not the repair center yet...

I can't find my info from when I sent my 436 back 2019 for the repair campaign...
I think it was called Saddle Creek... It is another package handler that then delivers it to the repair center...
You won't see anything on your SRO until Uniden gets it from them and logs it into the repair queue...

Found the pict of it though...

View attachment 99918
I sent it to : Uniden America
C/O Saddle Creek
743 Henrietta Creek Rd. Suite 100
Roanoke, Texas 76262
Attn. Repair
Was my understanding this was the right place???

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I sent it to : Uniden America
C/O Saddle Creek
743 Henrietta Creek Rd. Suite 100
Roanoke, Texas 76262
Attn. Repair
Was my understanding this was the right place??? I must have misread the post and thought you had sent one in not long ago.

Thats the place... Goes there first then they deliver it the repair center...

baj76

Uniden fanboy
Ive had no problems with my SDS 100 or 200...I say go for it, But that's just me
EDIT-Hope i don't jinx myself :)

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Meaning Uniden Repair should have it already... You wont see that it left Saddle Creek...
You will know when Uniden logs it in...
I think mine was about a week from Saddle Creek getting it till Uniden entered it in the repair queue...
And that was before all the covid crap...

Last edited:

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
Thats the place... Goes there first then they deliver it the repair center...
Hopefully I will at least get a reply soon. They can’t be so busy that they can’t take 2 minutes to reply. I’m not asking to not take my turn. I want it to take as long as it takes to get it done right. I don’t want to have to return it again, but I think they should at least acknowledge it has arrived.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Keep checking the repair SRO number for activity... They should have sent you a link...

Hang in there... They will get to it...

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Read the top of the form I posted...
You won't see an SRO# untill they log it in....
They should send you an email with it...

Last edited:

MStep

There is a good chance that you will get a radio with absolutely no issues. BUT, to "hedge" your bet, I would order from Amazon first, using a credit card. If there is an issue, do not ask for a replacement, simply ask for a refund.

Then you can try Walmart. If you have issues with two out of two radios, I would go back into a holding pattern for a few months.

Those are your two best bets for "no questions asked" returns. I would not go with any of the specialized scanner dealerships, large or small, unless you feel you are going to need a lot of hand holding.

And believe me, you will not find a more dedicated, more knowledgeable group of hand-holders anywhere else than right here on Radio Reference.

Airdorn

Well, I've only bought Uniden scanners since the early 80's and I haven't ever had a problem. So I'm just going to have some faith and go for it. I like that Amazon angle though. Those guys will take back anything, no questions asked.

There is a good chance that you will get a radio with absolutely no issues. BUT, to "hedge" your bet, I would order from Amazon first, using a credit card. If there is an issue, do not ask for a replacement, simply ask for a refund.

Then you can try Walmart. If you have issues with two out of two radios, I would go back into a holding pattern for a few months.

Those are your two best bets for "no questions asked" returns. I would not go with any of the specialized scanner dealerships, large or small, unless you feel you are going to need a lot of hand holding.

And believe me, you will not find a more dedicated, more knowledgeable group of hand-holders anywhere else than right here on Radio Reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.