Uniden Repair Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatracker

My SDS100 is there in limbo at Uniden repair as well. It's been about seven weeks now and the last time I called last Fri I spoke to a very well informed rep who told me that they had switched computer systems approx nine weeks ago. Part of that transition was a move from using SRO numbers to "case numbers". She did some digging and found mine, which is a three digit number. They also said that there was only one tech for all scanner repair there, and that he was way behind. Sounds like a perfect storm between system changes, Big Storms, and maybe not enough tech's, but I remind myself it is what it is, and at least they have some idea of whats going on with the my scanner.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
My SDS100 is there in limbo at Uniden repair as well. It's been about seven weeks now and the last time I called last Fri I spoke to a very well informed rep who told me that they had switched computer systems approx nine weeks ago. Part of that transition was a move from using SRO numbers to "case numbers". She did some digging and found mine, which is a three digit number. They also said that there was only one tech for all scanner repair there, and that he was way behind. Sounds like a perfect storm between system changes, Big Storms, and maybe not enough tech's, but I remind myself it is what it is, and at least they have some idea of whats going on with the my scanner.

I'm really sorry to hear that Tampatracker. I've heard the same thing. It's a complete fire storm for lake of a better word. I'm not sure why they switch computer systems right in the middle of a pandemic. It's prett much made it impossible to check a repair online. Ive called them three separate times and gotten three different awnsers about my scanners. They've been there since mid February.

tampatracker

I'm really sorry to hear that Tampatracker. I've heard the same thing. It's a complete fire storm for lake of a better word. I'm not sure why they switch computer systems right in the middle of a pandemic. It's prett much made it impossible to check a repair online. Ive called them three separate times and gotten three different awnsers about my scanners. They've been there since mid February.
Some good news talked to a service rep this afternoon and she told me my unit's made it to the repair stage, and to call back next Fri if I don't get an email from them first. I asked her if she knew anything about when the their new computer system will be up and running, she said soon. Also that when it comes up just enter your case # and you get your info. Hopefully they are just backed up and they seem to be doing some catching up. Hope springs eternal ....

Last edited:

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Some good news talked to a service rep this afternoon and she told me my unit's made it to the repair stage, and to call back next Fri if I don't get an email from them first. I asked her if she knew anything about when the their new computer system will be up and running, she said soon. Also that when it comes up just enter your case # and you get your info. Hopefully they are just backed up and they seem to be doing some catching up. Hope springs eternal ....

Thanks for the update. I've tried entering my case number and haven't gotten any results. Maybe they gave me the wrong case number?

tampatracker

Looks like Uniden repair is catching up. My SDS100 should be back Thursday 5/6/21, and from what I can tell their new computer system is not up yet. FYI.

blong

Are they offering any extended warranty time for the period that the unit is in for repair?

Mine has been there since 3/21 and every time I call they say it's in the shop should be this week......

scotttish

I had mine in and it took FOREVER! Sent it in on 1/29/21 and it took 8-10 weeks. do not expect your radio to show up on the repair status page, mine did not the entire time. Call Uniden customer service once you see that your tracking number shows they received the scanner, try and talk with Christie, she seems to be the only one that is actually customer service oriented over there. She will find your service order and keep tabs on it, I called every two weeks until she could give me a ship date. Just keep on em!

I feel your pain and although Uniden makes wonderful Scanners, their customer service is the worst in the universe. I have been a Radio scanner user for over 40 years. Radioshack, ICOM, Whistler, etc. never once had a customer service rep ever hang up the phone on me. Today, Caleb (customer service floor manager) and Mark (customer service rep)both hung up on me when I asked questions about the status of my scanner that has been with them for three months now. Not a word. In my experience, Uniden has the worst customer service out of any company I’ve ever dealt with. Even the ones in India where you can’t understand anything they say. This was horrible! Does anyone know of a competent and customer service-based scanner repair company in the USA? Uniden customer Service has earned them an F minus for Customer Service from me and from what I can read, many radio listeners and ham radio operators alike. There needs to be a repair alternative to Uniden!

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
I feel your pain and although Uniden makes wonderful Scanners, their customer service is the worst in the universe. I have been a Radio scanner user for over 40 years. Radioshack, ICOM, Whistler, etc. never once had a customer service rep ever hang up the phone on me. Today, Caleb (customer service floor manager) and Mark (customer service rep)both hung up on me when I asked questions about the status of my scanner that has been with them for three months now. Not a word. In my experience, Uniden has the worst customer service out of any company I’ve ever dealt with. Even the ones in India where you can’t understand anything they say. This was horrible! Does anyone know of a competent and customer service-based scanner repair company in the USA? Uniden customer Service has earned them an F minus for Customer Service from me and from what I can read, many radio listeners and ham radio operators alike. There needs to be a repair alternative to Uniden!

That pretty much sums up my entire dealings with them since February. I've only had them hang up on me once. It's pretty unacceptable to say the least. Hope you gets your radios back soon!

scotttish

That pretty much sums up my entire dealings with them since February. I've only had them hang up on me once. It's pretty unacceptable to say the least. Hope you gets your radios back soon!
Thank you sir! I will never deal with Uniden ever again. Even if it means never buying another scanner. I have spent thousands of dollars on there Scanners just over the past three months and their customer service is completely horrendous!

N4DJC

Can't say I'm surprised about the delay. I have a case number but the new system isn't up and running yet. I'll wait it out. Don't really seem to be missing the scanner as much as I thought I would be. Satellite activity is keeping me on my toes....got a PSAT pass coming up in a bit :cool:

MStep

Unfortunately, all potential buyers should take note of your comments. It seems that when you buy a Uniden scanner, you are also signing up for a rough ride and lots of frustration if you ever require either warranty or non-warranty service. Except for Whistler, Uniden has no real competition in the scanner market. While their product conceptualization and performance are really great, complaints about their service department override all of that.

My suggestion for anyone considering any of the high end Uniden products is to have a reserve of cash on hand in the event that your scanner requires repair, you can replace it with the purchase of a new unit while you wait for your repair to be completed. While this is not a practical solution for most hobbyists and those financially strapped, if your scanner is your constant companion or an important component to the work that you do, this is really the only way to assure that you will have an operating unit when you need it.

blong

Unbelievable, Called Uniden today to get an update on the repair, Stated it would ship last week, The recording says they are closed for training, but heck the recording di apologize for any inconvenience to their customers.

How do they remain in business...........

tampatracker

Good news my scanner has arrived back from Uniden repair they did a good job as usual in my experiences with them but I won't be doing this anymore with this unit it's just not worth it. Reception is good to excellent on most systems, conventional is coming in as well as it did before it went in for repair.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Good news my scanner has arrived back from Uniden repair they did a good job as usual in my experiences with them but I won't be doing this anymore with this unit it's just not worth it. Reception is good to excellent on most systems, conventional is coming in as well as it did before it went in for repair.

Great news! Hopefully mine works fine too!

Status
Not open for further replies.