Uniden Repair Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

Mstep: Dear Lord. If I'd sent my radio and waited five months, I would be livid. I will keep up with this thread to see if you get your radio back. I know some of the electronic parts are very hard to obtain. I suppose I am going to send my 436HPs after this hopefully improves.

Luckily, my radio will function after they replace the SMA housing in the event they can't fix the electronic issues. I can do without the internal clock (don't want scanner withdrawal symptoms, LOL). I would prefer having all things fixed; hence, I might wait. I am undecided at this point.

I am in full agreement with you Ensnared--- and I believe that VA3ADP should be livid if in fact Uniden has not shipped his pieces yet. Seems like Uniden repairs is going down like the Titanic if VA3ADP's statements are correct--- the only thing missing is the band !!!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
If Uniden told you its supposed to be at your home by XXX, then its shipped. They used FedEx to ship mine back to me. Seriously call Customer Service today. Have them verify it shipped, and start a claim ticket.

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
There is cause for optimism. I sent my SDS100 in for repair of apparent "cold joint" problem on 6/15. UPS delivered it to Saddle Creek on 6/17. Then, utter silence. No information ever became available from Status Page. Gave Uniden a call this morning. I had thought the Status Page was the "new system" that several members have reported hearing about. Actually, the new system replaces the Status Page, which should henceforth be considered "inactive." Repair is complete! Representative could not ascertain why my credit card has not yet been charged and why scanner has not yet been shipped. She gave me a case number, and promised to send inquiry email to repair department and update me by email. If my scanner is repaired and ready for shipment 15 days after arrival at Saddle Creek, I would call that fairly decent service. I would not ask for or expect better. Keeping my fingers crossed for prompt shipment and delivery.

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
It was misplaced optimism. Promised email not been received. One week later, credit card has not been charged, and, of course, scanner has not been shipped. The person who is authorized to process and accept payments has been "out," but may return on Monday, July 12. Or it may be Friday, July 16.

MStep

It was misplaced optimism. Promised email not been received. One week later, credit card has not been charged, and, of course, scanner has not been shipped. The person who is authorized to process and accept payments has been "out," but may return on Monday, July 12. Or it may be Friday, July 16.

It's kinda like a space/time shift. The whole Uniden building disappears into a time/space warp for a day or two, and then they come back out. Emails, phone calls, credit cards circle into the black hole and then are jettisoned out the other end, hopefully with your radio in some type of repaired condition.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
So as of Friday 9/20, 6 months later all my scanners did come back. Everything appears to be working just fine. However my 996P2 was no repaired as there is still cosmetic damage.

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
SDS100 received in good working order. Good luck to those still waiting. I was somewhat surprised that they used the term "cold solder joint" in their work order that was returned with the scanner. I was very careful not to use that or any other diagnostic terminology in my Repair Request Form, even though I knew, based upon numerous posts in this forum, exactly what the problem was. Seems to me that this is an acknowledgement that there is a manufacturing or design problem in the SDS100. Technicians and engineers correct me if I'm wrong, but I would suggest that a cold solder joint occurs only at the time of assembly, even if it's not discovered until months or years later. Seems that argument for a free repair campaign is at least as compelling as the BCD436HP clock battery issue. Bottom line here: WWPS

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I have no idea how many sds100 units had the cold solder joint issue. Yes, it is a manufacturer error. I do not know if that solder joint is soldered by a human or roboticaly (including wave solder) but I do know from my own personal experience that cold solder joints, especially on a switch or rotary knob type usually show up fairly quickly.

So a recall campaign where, say, 90% or more of the units don't have that issue seems excessive to ME.

YMMV

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I am getting ready to take the plunge with Uniden Repair.

Question: What is the best way to send a 436HP to Uniden where you have proof have they received it, like registered or certified mail? Any suggestions. Hell, I am tempted to drive up there, but I doubt they would accept my radio in this t manner.

Kris1359

Kris1359
I am getting ready to take the plunge with Uniden Repair.

Question: What is the best way to send a 436HP to Uniden where you have proof have they received it, like registered or certified mail? Any suggestions. Hell, I am tempted to drive up there, but I doubt they would accept my radio in this t manner.
UPS insured and signature required same with FedEx and get tracking number.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Getting this ready to ship. When it is asking for the serial number, is it talking about the the ESN number? Or, is it talking about the number on the back of the 436HP?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I have SDS100 and the serial number was on the box but I sent the whole number on the inside to be safe

Did it match the ESN or serial number printed on the back of the scanner? If they are wanting the number with the bar code located on the back of the unit, I am out of luck since the bar code and the number have been rubbed off by the hard leather case.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Did it match the ESN or serial number printed on the back of the scanner? If they are wanting the number with the bar code located on the back of the unit, I am out of luck since the bar code and the number have been rubbed off by the hard leather case.
The ESN should be sufficient. Other than the check sum that you see on the scanner when accessing the ESN, the main difference would be in the difference of how the model & & date code are shown in the ESN.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Can you believe this ole fool is finally sending one of the 436HPs in for repair. I have a friend, named Jerry Lewis, I am dead serious. His brother is Tumbleweed Smith. I've been letting Jerry borrow this model and he has displayed dogged persistence as to when I was sending it in for repair. I did not feel comfortable telling a fib because he is a member of my Church. I have not sent it in yet, but I told them to fix the split SMA threaded shaft. I told them about my failed attempt to fix the internal clock and asked them to tighten that blasted-arse rotary knob. I hope they have these parts, but at this point in time, I really don't care. Thank you buddy.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Unless there is truly severe damage, Uniden covers all the parts needed for the flat repair cost.

Part of the fix for the clock includes replacing the main circuit board, which should also replace the display. At least, that's what they did during the now closed repair campaign for the clock. My original 436HP went in during the campaign. The second one was manufactured after a change in production eliminated those issues coming up, and has had zero problems. No problems with the first one either, after it came back from repair.

tampatracker

I am sending in a new SDS100 for the cold solder joint problem, bought on 4/19/21. Typical symptoms, sudden onset unit turned into a brick in approx 10 min this is my 2nd 100, first one had CSJ as well. Go figure. Let the games begin.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I had hoped that production had finally driven a stake into the heart of the CSJ issue. I wonder if your second unit was produced before any of the concerns that Joe Bearcat passed on were acted upon at the manufacturing facility.

tampatracker

I had hoped that production had finally driven a stake into the heart of the CSJ issue. I wonder if your second unit was produced before any of the concerns that Joe Bearcat passed on were acted upon at the manufacturing facility.
Serial number on this one is 383z18001189. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.