Uniden Repair Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Serial number on this one is 383z18001189. Any thoughts?
If I'm reading that correctly, the 1 after the Z (383z18001189 ) indicates built in 2021, the 8 means built in Vietnam, possibly the '1189'th' one built this year, so likely the first part of this year.

'Joe Bearcat' started his "Help me help you" thread Jan. 23'rd, and started collecting reports of issues, and had already starting browsing through existing threads. We know that, at some point, he referred comments & suggestions to management, regarding chronic issues, whether with the repair process disconnects, or problems created during production (cold solder joints, the dreaded hum, etc). We, of course, don't know how long it took for management to review the issues, and pass them on down the line with instructions on corrective action that needed to be implemented.

My guess is that once a unit is manufactured & boxed up for shipment, it joins a number of other scanners & other devices that Uniden makes in a container to be shipped to the U.S. That ocean voyage is likely three weeks or so, and then there's also the well documented problems with ships anchored off the west coast, waiting for an open dock where they can get offloaded. That's more delays before it begins it's trip through the distribution progress, before landing at a dealer to be sold.

Probably, your unit was built before any process changes were in place & being used. That's unfortunately something you cannot control or verify before purchase. What I wish Uniden would do is, in lieu of a 'recall', or service campaign as was done on the x36HP series scanners to deal with the RTC & display issues, is to provide an extended warranty covering the specific CSJ repairs. If you remember when the 536HP was first released, some early production units had a hum issue of their own, due to an unauthorized sub of one of the parts by the manufacturing facilty. My 536HP was an ealry production unit, & had that issue. I sent it in, and got a replacement unit, with a sticker applied to the exchange unit that it now had a three year, not one year, warranty,

tampatracker

Probably, your unit was built before any process changes were in place & being used.
Well if they are rolling out units that have addressed those issues mine isn't one of them. Just wonder if Joe Bearcat would like to update if the process changes have been implemented, and if not now then WHEN. Do the people upstairs even pay attention Joe? Whats the Plan? Because as I write this I am also boxing up an SDS100, 3 months old, to send to you guys for what has all the signs of a Cold Solder Joint meltdown.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
We all wish everything we bought was inexpensive and perfect and never had a problem. We all wish everyone just got along and there was no crime. We all wish everyone was a perfect and attentive driver and there were no accidents and no need to get insurance.

All of the above, and everything else humans do, doesn't work that way, humans aren't perfect so the things they do aren't perfect either.

That's just the way it is.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I will tell you one thing, I am not going to fret about Uniden's repairs. Things like that tend to drive me right up the wall. Since I have a spare, I don't care if it takes three months. I will wait for the Uniden Santa.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Don't get me wrong. I feel for them too, honestly.

In all sectors of manufacturing we are seeing backlogs. from airbags for replacement, radio equipment, parts for electronics (Mostly made overseas) there is shortages.

As for Uniden saying they can't give a ETA, I guess I look at it another way. They could say give us a month. a month later say still no parts give us another month.

If they don't have the parts its kinda hard to fix it.

Should Uniden take a new one off the shelf, yeah, I think it would go along way in the PR department.

Busting JB in the chops isn't the answer.
That presumes they have new ones on the shelf. Lately, the SDS series has been coming in in batches to dealers that sell them out quickly.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Uniden, you hit a home run. I have never ever received any of the many electronics I've owned as quickly as Uniden's repair expediency.

I sent this off on July 23, 2021 and received it on August 3rd.

The problems: 1) SMA post needed replacing, broken; 2) internal clock issue; 3) rotary knob needed replacement.

Uniden fixed everything; however, they fixed things I did not ask for, which I wanted: 1) the input housing and rubber booting on right side; 2) replaced the keyboard; 3) replaced display; 4) the battery contacts were tighter and looked new; & 5) the holder for the micro SD card.

Now, that is what I call service!

Bravo Uniden

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Uniden, you hit a home run. I have never ever received any of the many electronics I've owned as quickly as Uniden's repair expediency.

I sent this off on July 23, 2021 and received it on August 3rd.

The problems: 1) SMA post needed replacing, broken; 2) internal clock issue; 3) rotary knob needed replacement.

Uniden fixed everything; however, they fixed things I did not ask for, which I wanted: 1) the input housing and rubber booting on right side; 2) replaced the keyboard; 3) replaced display; 4) the battery contacts were tighter and looked new; & 5) the holder for the micro SD card.

Now, that is what I call service!

Bravo Uniden
Congratulations. Sounds like they "did you right".

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
396XT took to the post office on Saturday October 2, 2021 just after mail gone out. Post office moved it out on Monday the 4th, delivered on the 8th to Roanoke at 2 PM. It was for the power connector J402 replaced.
Received the scanner this afternoon by Fedex.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Good to hear. It sounds like the repair shop is back to a more realistic level of normalcy with a turnaround of less than a month!

That being said, it’s my understanding the microchip shortages are projected to last into the 4th quarter of 2022, early 2023. But it’s also been noted by the same reliable source that other electronic components are also taking a hit… the reserve supplies have dwindled to a point where common resistors etc are also being affected.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I hear all of these comments; however, I received mine in less than two weeks. I am sending my other 436HP for repair soon.

Brentorious

I sent my radio in on July 24th and I’ve heard absolutely nothing. Nothing comes up on the status check site. I know they received it because my check cleared on August 4th and they wrote on it before they deposited it. I’ll try calling next week I guess. Any other suggestions?

I sent my radio in on July 24th and I’ve heard absolutely nothing. Nothing comes up on the status check site. I know they received it because my check cleared on August 4th and they wrote on it before they deposited it. I’ll try calling next week I guess. Any other suggestions?
What did they say when you called them? :unsure:

MStep

Not sure that it follows that because your check was cashed, they know where you radio is. It could have gotten lost in the shuffle. Was the check sent separately, or along with the radio? If the two were sent separately, you might consider putting in a claim with the shipper you used, providing that you insured the radio. You need to provide more details.

Brentorious

Not sure that it follows that because your check was cashed, they know where you radio is. It could have gotten lost in the shuffle. Was the check sent separately, or along with the radio? If the two were sent separately, you might consider putting in a claim with the shipper you used, providing that you insured the radio. You need to provide more details.
The check was in the box with the radio and their form. I have a tracking number that details the exact minute, location, and office where it was delivered. Someone wrote a case number on the check and I have that image. If it got lost in a shuffle, fine, I just need a SDS100 shipped.

The check was in the box with the radio and their form. I have a tracking number that details the exact minute, location, and office where it was delivered. Someone wrote a case number on the check and I have that image. If it got lost in a shuffle, fine, I just need a SDS100 shipped.
What did they say when you called rhem?

Brentorious

Uniden told me that they didn’t contact me because it was determined that my radio is not repairable because of water around the SD card slot. The rep is going to “reach out to his corporate office” about an offer on a refurbished radio that I can buy from them.

I had that radio out on a boat and some water sprayed up while we were underway. If an SDS100 cannot withstand that, I don’t consider it water resistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.