Uniden repair sucks 396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
1st time nothing was wrong with it... 2nd time it was "tampered with" costing me 59.90 got it back about 2 weeks ago and over night smelled hot like something fried in it... never been apart but the squelch/volume multi knob stopped functioning, i see alot of people had that issue... NOW the thing smelled hot and wont turn on... supposedly the mainboard was replaced but by the was it smells i highly doubt that or they installed something wrong... my question is how can i get this 7 month old scanner replaced through uniden if possible... i DO NOT THINK that because of a squelch button weekening should have voided the warranty, also still was overheating as stated in origional sro complaint...

now my question is... is unit tampering considered because of the sqelch/volume multifunction key being worn out do to normal wear?... does anyone have a uniden scanner repair supervisors number because its going to be another 17.00 to send out and another 59.90 repair fee and ship back fee because the warranty is now void from "UNIT Tampering" thats bs considering the volume squelch multifunction knob has been a problem since the 396t was out...

Last edited:

Sounds frustrating. If there is a win to be had out of this, I think your best bet would be taking this through Uniden corporate by writing Hidero Fujimoto, their "Representative Director CEO."

The address is:
Uniden Corporation
2-12-7 Hatchobori, Chuo-ku
Tokyo 104-8512

The proper salutation for Mr. Fujimoto in your correspondence is "Fujimoto-sama:"

The couple of times I've had to do this, I was respectful and stressed my brand loyalty, and explained the circumstance without pointing fingers at anyone.

Sometimes something happens, sometimes nothing happens. But you won't get anything if you don't ask for it.

Mention you sent the unit for service and was told that it was physical damage (the service depot's use of the word "tampering" sucks as a description and is almost impossible to prove - even when you know someone is doing it). It was repaired and you paid your invoice. Now, following the repair, it has become completely inoperable and you would like a replacement. Good customer satisfaction practice says they might want to write off the hot, smelly lemmon and send you a fresh lemmon.

No guarantees, but it's worth a try.

The other choice is going round and round with factory service (you have a valid point that it should have been repaired back to factory standards and it despite having been made whole, it failed again), or, since you no longer seem to have an honored warranty, having a third party repair look at it. The last option will still cost you money, but it looks like there's an overt failure now.

Good luck!

Highpockets

Sounds frustrating. If there is a win to be had out of this, I think your best bet would be taking this through Uniden corporate by writing Hidero Fujimoto, their "Representative Director CEO."

The address is:
Uniden Corporation
2-12-7 Hatchobori, Chuo-ku
Tokyo 104-8512

The proper salutation for Mr. Fujimoto in your correspondence is "Fujimoto-sama:"

The couple of times I've had to do this, I was respectful and stressed my brand loyalty, and explained the circumstance without pointing fingers at anyone.

Sometimes something happens, sometimes nothing happens. But you won't get anything if you don't ask for it.

Mention you sent the unit for service and was told that it was physical damage (the service depot's use of the word "tampering" sucks as a description and is almost impossible to prove - even when you know someone is doing it). It was repaired and you paid your invoice. Now, following the repair, it has become completely inoperable and you would like a replacement. Good customer satisfaction practice says they might want to write off the hot, smelly lemmon and send you a fresh lemmon.

No guarantees, but it's worth a try.

The other choice is going round and round with factory service (you have a valid point that it should have been repaired back to factory standards and it despite having been made whole, it failed again), or, since you no longer seem to have an honored warranty, having a third party repair look at it. The last option will still cost you money, but it looks like there's an overt failure now.

Good luck!

That contact info will come in handy for me also, thanks for posting it! :D

W9NES

All you need to do is send me a pm.I will send you a Supervisors Name and telephone number at Unden and you can address the issue with her.You do have a 90 Day warranty after you get the radio back from Uniden. That 90 days covers labor and parts.Sounds like a Unden Tech on a bench did something to your radio while it was open.Why would you deal with Japan when you can deal with Ft.Worth where the Uniden Repair Center is located.I have had excellent service with Uniden and If I have a problem I will call them and get the matter taken care of.They also retrun my telephone calls when requested. If I can be of any futher help please send me a pm.Thank You.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Is it possible you broke it before when you had it open? (Not talking about how it is now, but why Uniden said it had been tampered with.)

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/217051-bcd396xt-losing-reception.html

A technician can tell if a unit has been opened. They also read these forums.

ok thanks in mail tomorrow... i have reciept from april where i bought it from scannermaster.com but i took it apart to check it and now voided that out...lol still well worth 60.00 to have fixed

Oops! :roll:

Tramagod

My question is, why would one open the case of a brand new radio? It makes no sense, and does void the warranty.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Well, I've seen more than a few radios (Both GRE and Uniden made) where they forgot to solder the antenna connection, and in the case of Uniden, a bunch of older models where the speaker leads weren't soldered, and rather than send it back for a several week or more turnaround, I fixed it in a couple of minutes.I left it up to the owner, open it up and void the warranty, but probably fix it in minutes, or send it off and wait and wait. A few people just went and bought another scanner to use while the first one was off to Uniden or RS repair.

tronicbinge

Hey YOU!

All you need to do is send me a pm.I will send you a Supervisors Name and telephone number at Unden and you can address the issue with her.You do have a 90 Day warranty after you get the radio back from Uniden. That 90 days covers labor and parts.Sounds like a Unden Tech on a bench did something to your radio while it was open.Why would you deal with Japan when you can deal with Ft.Worth where the Uniden Repair Center is located.I have had excellent service with Uniden and If I have a problem I will call them and get the matter taken care of.They also retrun my telephone calls when requested. If I can be of any futher help please send me a pm.Thank You.

"Send me (you) a pm..."???? How !!!!??? If I could send you a pm, which I am not able to do, I would say how can I get the battery connector that Uniden has so thoughtfully installed in the scanner that they sold me, uh, make that TWO scanners that they sold me so I can CAREFULLY make my own battery pack? Certainly the billion yen Uniden (hey! that rhymed!) could come up with a couple thousand for me or an adapter cooked up by their geniused engineers? Sayonara.

JANFINE

Premium Subscriber
Bcd396xt repair

I sent my BCD396XT in to replace the case 3 weeks ago.
Anyone know how I can find out the status on my scanner?
Thanks.

W9NES

Uniden Parts 1-800-554-3988.Ask them to look it up for you and they can tell you about your repair. It is better to CALL them than to use a web site for checking on the status of your repair.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
....how can I get the battery connector that Uniden has so thoughtfully installed in the scanner....
Get an old cordless battery and snip the connector off. My not be exact depending on the battery model but at worst you may have to shave a couple tabs from the side of the plastic plug with a razor blade. I went in to Radio Shack one day and the guy let me snip a few off the batteries in the recycle bin located by the cash for customers to throw their old batteries into.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes you just look inside to see how well it was built, do you buy a car without looking under the hood?

David Kb7uns
Opening the hood seems reasonable, kinda like opening the battery compartment of the scanner, but I don't see you pulling the cylinder heads off before you buy a car and am pretty sure if you did it after you bought it that would void the warranty.:roll::D

Status
Not open for further replies.