SDS100/SDS200: Uniden Replaced the USB port on my SDS200

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The oldest SDS200 manual I have found is from the FCC filing. The manual is from November 28, 2018. On page 18 it says
Connect the scanner to a power source and plug the included cable into the scanner’s USB mini port and the other end into a PC.

The SDS200 revised manual from December 13, 2018 says Connect the scanner to a power source and plug the included cable into the scanner’s microUSB port and the other end into a PC.

Maybe the oldest manual was just wrong and was corrected in the December release. Or maybe JANFINE has a pre-production beta test unit that was actually built with USB mini. Anyone with a beta test unit to confirm?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Maybe the oldest manual was just wrong and was corrected in the December release.
Most likely was wrong... even in that oldest manual, the pic at the bottom of that page shows a USB Micro port. The 12/2018 manual does correct the error, but the 9/12/2019 manual has the same error again on page 14 calling it a Mini port - with the Micro port still shown in the pic on that page. As far as I can tell, the 2019 manual calling it a Mini port is the latest version and is still shipping with current scanners.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Or maybe JANFINE has a pre-production beta test unit that was actually built with USB mini. Anyone with a beta test unit to confirm?

Except his pic shows the original faceplate, that he says was not changed and it says Micro on it. His rear pic says and shows Micro

Plus, the Mini is taller than the Micro so if they swapped a smaller one into a larger hole, there would be a noticeable gap around the hole in the chassis and the faceplate.

1713374910278.png

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Or maybe JANFINE has a pre-production beta test unit that was actually built with USB mini.

But he states that the connector on the left in his pic (which is a Mini) has been coming on the SDS200 since 2003.
The one on the left is the original that comes with the scanners since 2003.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The SDS200 pre-production beta units all came with the same USB-Micro on the front and rear as the production units have ALL come with.

I had 3 of them during the beta process and all were exactly the same as was all the other beta units.

Believe me this was a major discussion point during the beta test period.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Starting to wonder....

1: We are being trolled.
2: Medication adjustment is needed.
3: Elderly confusion (I'm old too, so no denigration intended)
4: Just can't admit mistake. (Refer back to my "Black Knight" above....)
5: ???????

At this point, it's pretty evident that one of those does apply.

phask

Premium Subscriber
The SDS200 pre-production beta units all came with the same USB-Micro on the front and rear as the production units have ALL come with.

I had 3 of them during the beta process and all were exactly the same as was all the other beta units.

Believe me this was a major discussion point during the beta test period.
Agree with Rich, and still have a Beta model.

mitbr

Starting to wonder....

1: We are being trolled.
2: Medication adjustment is needed.
3: Elderly confusion (I'm old too, so no denigration intended)
4: Just can't admit mistake. (Refer back to my "Black Knight" above....)
5: ???????
6: beating this topic to death!!! lol
Tim :cool:

manlius

Premium Subscriber
Oh, so they went backwards in technology instead of a USB-C. Maybe a little more durable but pretty sure older tech.
My thoughts exactly 🤨 Sure wish they would go to USB-C and on the SDS100’s, too. I figured they would be forced into it after the EU mandated that all devices needed to go that way.

delmarsnoderly

Premium Subscriber
Can I update my sds 200 firmware and write to the scanner someway besides using the micro usb port on the front? I can’t find the original cable. The cables I have bought supposedly aren’t just for charging. The original worked but that was a year ago or so. Thanks

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Can I update my sds 200 firmware and write to the scanner someway besides using the micro usb port on the front? I can’t find the original cable. The cables I have bought supposedly aren’t just for charging. The original worked but that was a year ago or so. Thanks
Any standard USB to USB Micro cable (NOT Mini) that that carries power and data will work. If you're sure you are using a cable of that type and you can't get the screen on the scanner to change to asking it you if you want serial or mass storage mode when connected to your PC, the port on the scanner is most likely damaged.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Can also be done with an external card reader if you have one....
Put the Sd card in the reader and open Sentinel and do the firmware update...
That will load updated firmware to the card...
When you put the SD card back in the scanner and turn it on it will load the new firmware....