Uniden response to Pro-96 DSP 1.3 release?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewC75

Radio Shack just released an upgrade for the Pro-96 which aims to:

Improve digital decoding of weak or distorted digital signals
The enhancements that were made to the digital decoder to provide improved
digital performance on systems like the Detroit Project 25 system also provide
noticeable decoding improvement on all supported digital system types in areas
with weak digital signals, or digital signals that are distorted due to
multipath or simulcast .
I’ve read at least one side-by-side comparison of the newly-flashed Pro-96 vs, a BCD396T which was described as “phenomenal” in favor of the Pro-96.

From the Radio Shack scanners forum:

rdale said:
“Not even close... A good 1/3rd of the transmissions I heard on the "new" Pro96 had either nothing at all on the 396, or the talkgroup would flash but nothing heard. Another third both received but the 396 was more chop than audio. The last third they were both the same….I just finished testing extensively in Monroe Co and the side-by-side was phenomenally in favor of the Pro96. Also spent an hour in Flint and it rocked there too...”
Anything similar on-deck from Uniden for the BCD396T and BCD996T? It sure might help on the 5 site P25 simulcast system I listen to regularly.

John_M

UPMan should be aware of this by now and will probably pass this on. I wouldn't expect anything (if at all) for a few months.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I'm happy that GRE has addressed concerns about the PRO-96 and CQPSK for some in the Detroit area and some in Ohio. I've updated my PRO-96 DSP to 1.3, but live in an area that does not use CQPSK. To me it's not worth the extra encrypted noise I get from the PRO-96 from encrypted talkgroups that the 396 and 996 block out, with the exception of the first 2 microseconds of an encrypted comm.

So far, I've not heard anything on the 96 that the 396 or 996 is missing between comms with the exception of scanning other systems. If I need to listen to just specific talkgroups I can hold on a particular system or scan specific talkgroups. The digital voice sounds just fine with the current settings I'm using in the 396 with no noticable difference to the patched PRO-96 DSP, but as always YMMV. +;-)

However, the PRO-96 will do something the Uniden's can't. You can run PRO96COM to visually display activity on a P25 system without modifing the radio for baseband audio out.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"I'm happy that GRE has addressed concerns about the PRO-96 and CQPSK for some in the Detroit area and some in Ohio. "

"Some" in Detroit? Check your atlas again - Detroit isn't just a small burb ;> It also affects Cincinnati, Flint, Monroe, Australia, and many more.

"The digital voice sounds just fine with the current settings I'm using in the 396 with no noticable difference to the patched PRO-96 DSP, but as always YMMV"

Of course it does - you aren't listening to CQPSK. This is a patch to fix CQPSK, and now the Pro96 is clearly the leader in those areas.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Can't argue with that, Rob. You've obvously done your homework and can support your opinion. Enjoy!

John_M

Dave, the update also addresses weak distorted signals on all supported digital system types. So if you are getting good reception you won't notice any difference. I still need to get a dedicated 800mz mobile antenna for my apartment. The 800mhz antenna from RS barely brings in the signal and i'll have to say that with the upgrade I am hearing more transmissions. My 396t sits quiet. If I walk outside the reception improves dramatically and the 396t and Pro-96 act the same. I am monitoring a MOT Type II P25 anolog mixed system.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
John_M said:
Dave, the update also addresses weak distorted signals on all supported digital system types. So if you are getting good reception you won't notice any difference. I still need to get a dedicated 800mz mobile antenna for my apartment. The 800mhz antenna from RS barely brings in the signal and i'll have to say that with the upgrade I am hearing more transmissions. My 396t sits quiet. If I walk outside the reception improves dramatically and the 396t and Pro-96 act the same. I am monitoring a MOT Type II P25 anolog mixed system.

Where do you see that John? As Lou Magg pointed out, I don't see any oficial release from Radio Shack included with the installation instructions, or otherwise, that tells us what the 1.3 DSP improves, unless you and Rob know something we don't.

Now it looks to me, from the previous posts, like it does more than just CQPSK, but I can't really tell the difference with even a marginal signal this morning.

I'd like to see something official from Radio Shack/GRE on what the update exactly is other than what someone thinks it does.

So far, I have yet to see anything that needs improvement from Uniden on the P25 digital voice because of the PRO-96 DSP 1.3 patch, but I don't live near any of those areas that Rob has tested in (like Cincinnati or Australia).

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
From my view, the many reports of remarkable improvements with CQPSK scattered around the world is sufficient to convince me that this is the reason for the upgrade. Now, if that is its purpose, can GRE/RS prevent improvements in other P25 decoding with this upgrade? I think not.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
"I'd like to see something official from Radio Shack/GRE on what the update exactly is other than what someone thinks it does."

How about the RS file that describes the patch? Which says exactly what I said?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
rdale said:
"I'd like to see something official from Radio Shack/GRE on what the update exactly is other than what someone thinks it does."

How about the RS file that describes the patch? Which says exactly what I said?

There is no RS file in the 1.3 DSP upgrade, only the one in the 1.2 upgrade, unless you have something else?

Never mind, I'm done.

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
RadioShack is pleased to offer this free upgrade to enhance the functionality
and performance of your PRO-96/2096 Digital Trunking Scanner. Please take a
moment to review these instructions before proceeding with the upgrade.

New in this version
DSP APP Firmware Version U1.3 provides the following enhancements to your
PRO-96/2096 Digital Trunking Scanner:

Improved decoding of digital audio on the Detroit, Michigan Project 25 Trunked
Radio System
The DSP digital decoder was fine tuned to maximize performance when used on the
Detroit, Michigan and similar Project 25 trunked radio system.

Improved digital decoding of weak or distorted digital signals
multipath or simulcast .

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
rdale said:
RadioShack is pleased to offer this free upgrade to enhance the functionality
and performance of your PRO-96/2096 Digital Trunking Scanner. Please take a
moment to review these instructions before proceeding with the upgrade.

New in this version
DSP APP Firmware Version U1.3 provides the following enhancements to your
PRO-96/2096 Digital Trunking Scanner:

Improved decoding of digital audio on the Detroit, Michigan Project 25 Trunked
Radio System
The DSP digital decoder was fine tuned to maximize performance when used on the
Detroit, Michigan and similar Project 25 trunked radio system.

Improved digital decoding of weak or distorted digital signals
multipath or simulcast .

And this is found where, and why didn't you just post this to begin with?? It really belongs in the original thread in the Radio Shack forum, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.