Uniden RH-96 remote head

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Greeting's All this might be a long shot ???? but does anyone know where I can still get one of these RH-96 remote heads if you happen to know where please PM, New Or Used,

Thank You

AuntEnvy

Is that true in the review that the head doesn't actually turn off the unit?? I'm sure glad I saw that because I want to get one.

That seems rather dumb.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The scanners themselves were not designed with a remote head in mind. We made the remote head after the fact, and the only non-invasive interface available is the RS232 port. While we could certainly send a "power off" command by RS232 to turn off the scanner, once the scanner is off, it is off. There would be no way to send a command to turn it back on.

JamesO

The scanners the RH-96 support, can tolerate being powered off with the ignition or another remote power switch of some sort.

The 536HP with the Siren App will be an entire different case. You can kind of remotely shut off the 536HP with a soft turn off, using the Sleep Timer Option, hopefully Uniden will had a soft turn off like a computer. Then as long as the power supply to the scanner is then interrupted and reapplied, the 536HP will power up in the on state. This feature will allow settings, recordings and other changes to be written to the SD card and hopefully reduce the possibility of corrupting the SD card.

I really hope Uniden is LISTENING to this and considering adding a remote, soft power switch from the Siren App and also allowing the Sleep Timer to be part of the soft power shut down, this along with a time delayed relay on the ignition feed, or better yet, configure the headlight switch sense wire as an ignition sense wire to allow the 536HP to be properly shut off and restart automatically when the vehicle is started back up. If the scanner is remotely mounted in the car where you cannot see it, you could care less about back light dimming on the display, use this additional wire as an ignition sense wire to properly shut down and restart the scanner. Firmware tweak and user adjustable options are all that is required as the hardware already has the sensing ability built into the platform.

SCPD

QRT
Ok now the other ? will it hurt the 996T scanner in any way to leave it powered on with the on/off switch turned on all the time in trunk of my car and using a vehicle power source that kills all power to it when you turn the key off while using the remote head,Why I ask I think it says somewhere in the owner's Manual you should always turn the scanner off before before you remove all the power from it as in shutting the key off in the car will cut all power to the scanner,I think I read it can do something to the memory or ????.

Thanks Again folks for all the help I just don't want to mess up a good scanner

Ok now the other ? will it hurt the 996T scanner in any way to leave it powered on with the on/off switch turned on all the time in trunk of my car and using a vehicle power source that kills all power to it when you turn the key off while using the remote head,Why I ask I think it says somewhere in the owner's Manual you should always turn the scanner off before before you remove all the power from it as in shutting the key off in the car will cut all power to the scanner,I think I read it can do something to the memory or ????.

Thanks Again folks for all the help I just don't want to mess up a good scanner

Been using my 996T like this for the past 7 months in my truck with no issues.

JamesO

Personally I would install a Delay On relay so the scanner does not try to turn on right at the moment when cranking the engine and the DC Voltage drops to its lowest point.

These are something you should be able to easily find from any car stereo parts supplier like Parts Express, Crutchfield, ebay or other online supplier.

There is a configurable delay on/delay off relay on ebay for about $8 shipped. Could possibly use 2 of these if needed to delay on and delay off.

AuntEnvy

Thanks for explaining Paul

So with the remote head, how is the unit turned on/off? Especially since they would most likely be mounted in a position that would be inconvenient.

I have always had my scanners come on with the ignition but they were also the "old" models.

I stated in other threads that I wanted mine to come on with the ignition but now I'm seeing posts that state issues/problems with that and others advising not to do this.

I guess I better just stick with power on/off manually with these new ones. ;)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Modern vehicles have no issue with leaving the scanner permanently on and connected to an ignition-switched source. I ran this way with many models in my 2007 Camry and have never experienced a hiccup.

JamesO

My recommendation is a delay on relay. This way the scanner can be set to only powered on hopefully after the engine has been started.

These delay on relays are readily available on ebay and from car stereo suppliers for amplifiers.

I have ordered a few that actually can be configured as delay on and delay off. I plan on using 2 of these so I can delay the on by maybe 30 seconds and the delay off by maybe 30 minutes so if I stop somewhere I can shut the trunk down and still listen the scanner.

JoeyC

I have had a 996XT with remote head installed to power on at ignition (no relay) since I bought it in 2011. No issues.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I used the ignition to power my scanners/remote head since the when the 996T was brand new. Did it with the 996XT and now I have been doing it with the 536. I have never had an issue with any of the radios.

AuntEnvy

Thanks for the input guys

Now I don't know what to do! ;)

So I'm guessing the main unit would still be wired/plugged in as you normally would but it would always be on with ignition or battery/acc, and the RH would still need to be manually powered?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Just a gentle reminder that this thread concerns the RH96 and its use with scanners that support it. Please stay on topic.

Carry on.

No need to delay in my truck. Power point is not live when key is in cranking position, only with key in on or accessory positions. Your vehicle may be different but its easy to check.

JamesO

No need to delay in my truck. Power point is not live when key is in cranking position, only with key in on or accessory positions. Your vehicle may be different but its easy to check.

That's true in a lot of cars and trunks, however, for the few bucks the delay relays cost I feel much better not having the scanner power cycle on and off so many times and possibly have to deal with unstable power until the car/truck starts and runs for a short period of time. Sure many folks have had their scanner running this way for years, but again, I prefer not to take the chance. Anything I can do to make my electronics live longer, especially if it only cost $8, I will do it.

As you move onto newer model scanners, this is a must in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.