Uniden Scanner Mods & Accessories - SDS100 Internal GPS Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
This is my second Uniden scanner modified by Jon, my first was my BCD436HP, modified twice by Jon. The second time was to upgrade the GPS receiver to a much faster, and lower power consumption model. This time, I sent in my year-and-a-half-old SDS100 for the internal GPS receiver mod. I can tell you that Jon just keeps getting better and better at this. The mod is very well integrated into the radio, with the only external evidence being a third LED on the top front of the radio, and you can't install the belt clip knob anymore. That's because that is the only real space inside the scanner for the GPS receiver/antenna. The receiver warms up and starts receiving quickly, giving you a green LED to know it's powered up, and a flashing red/green when it has a 3D lock, and is giving your scanner a good position.

I also took the opportunity to have Jon install a new, extended battery cover latch, one that he has designed and fabricates himself. It provides better leverage and feels more stout than the original. All-in-all, another great product from the Uniden Scanner Mods & Accessories team (of one).

The price is right, the work excellent, and shipping is fast. Take the leap, get GPS installed, you won't be disappointed.

Attachments

• 20200227_230935.jpg
    20200227_230935.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 301

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So GPS mod would give you the option to auto tune selected freqs as you drive to different locations ?
Basically, it updates your location as you drive. Taking your location, and the range you set, the GPS (whether internal or external) will enable systems, frequencies (conventional) & talkgroups (trunked system's sites and departments are the locations used) as they come into range, and disable them as they pass out of range along your route.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
So GPS mod would give you the option to auto tune selected freqs as you drive to different locations ?
Short answer is yes.

With the GPS actively updating the scanner's location, it constantly updates what it scans as your location changes, when you are scanning from the database, or favorite lists with Location Control turned ON.

If Location Control in a favorite list is OFF, the stuff in the favorite list will be scanned regardless of your location.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I am very satisfied with mine as well. All I have to do if I'm taking a rental, or riding with someone else, is bring a power cord, scanner locks in / out to the GPS locations I have set (I set mine typically 4 miles from a city, 2 miles outside each county border) This default of "25 miles" from a city or county center is pretty excessive, IMO, as you travel, you are gonna have a lot thrown at you that is a good ways out. Basically, mine is set to where I am in the general area of the area to be monitored, or within a few miles of the city / county limits. State agencies and so forth are on QK, and can be added to GPS as well, with the option to monitor them. Works great!

ResQguy

Meh
This is my second Uniden scanner modified by Jon, my first was my BCD436HP, modified twice by Jon. The second time was to upgrade the GPS receiver to a much faster, and lower power consumption model. This time, I sent in my year-and-a-half-old SDS100 for the internal GPS receiver mod. I can tell you that Jon just keeps getting better and better at this. The mod is very well integrated into the radio, with the only external evidence being a third LED on the top front of the radio, and you can't install the belt clip knob anymore. That's because that is the only real space inside the scanner for the GPS receiver/antenna. The receiver warms up and starts receiving quickly, giving you a green LED to know it's powered up, and a flashing red/green when it has a 3D lock, and is giving your scanner a good position.

View attachment 81078View attachment 81079

I also took the opportunity to have Jon install a new, extended battery cover latch, one that he has designed and fabricates himself. It provides better leverage and feels more stout than the original. All-in-all, another great product from the Uniden Scanner Mods & Accessories team (of one).

View attachment 81080

The price is right, the work excellent, and shipping is fast. Take the leap, get GPS installed, you won't be disappointed.
Please let us know how this impacts the battery life of the SDS100.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The difference is approximately 5%. Not something you'll really notice unless you're using a stopwatch. The amount of traffic, volume, and backlight settings have a greater impact on run time than the GPS.

Mork

Premium Subscriber
Do I understand correctly that with the GPS mod you cannot attach the belt clip?

KO4IPV

View attachment 81080

Can you tell me the cost of this upgrade and we’re can I get it installed

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You can see options and prices on Jon's website:

To contact Jon directly, use the email in his signature in post #10 above:

KO4IPV

View attachment 81080

View attachment 81080

Please tell me your opinion of the hole buisness of This operation of sending this out ! Is it reputable? Is it trustworthy and is it high quality work ? I am very interested in using this service, although a little weary about sending my scanner off to someone I don’t really know of , please tell me all you or other people experiences with this service.

Xray

Please tell me your opinion of the hole buisness of This operation of sending this out ! Is it reputable? Is it trustworthy and is it high quality work ? I am very interested in using this service, although a little weary about sending my scanner off to someone I don’t really know of , please tell me all you or other people experiences with this service.

Why don't you contact him yourself and ask ? PayPal Payments

Randy_Vick

Premium Subscriber
Look around in the forums ... you'll see a record of activity and repeated praise for his work. Upon request he even looked at my BCD396XT and did an internal GPS for it. I couldn't be happier with the outcome, turn around time, or even price.

kruser

Premium Subscriber

You won't have any problems with @jonwienke. He's been around here plus doing his GPS mods for a long time now.
Search his post history and you shall see nothing but good from those that used his services.

Status
Not open for further replies.