Uniden Scanner Mods & Accessories - SDS100 Internal GPS Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norman_24

This is my second Uniden scanner modified by Jon, my first was my BCD436HP, modified twice by Jon. The second time was to upgrade the GPS receiver to a much faster, and lower power consumption model. This time, I sent in my year-and-a-half-old SDS100 for the internal GPS receiver mod. I can tell you that Jon just keeps getting better and better at this. The mod is very well integrated into the radio, with the only external evidence being a third LED on the top front of the radio, and you can't install the belt clip knob anymore. That's because that is the only real space inside the scanner for the GPS receiver/antenna. The receiver warms up and starts receiving quickly, giving you a green LED to know it's powered up, and a flashing red/green when it has a 3D lock, and is giving your scanner a good position.

View attachment 81078View attachment 81079

I also took the opportunity to have Jon install a new, extended battery cover latch, one that he has designed and fabricates himself. It provides better leverage and feels more stout than the original. All-in-all, another great product from the Uniden Scanner Mods & Accessories team (of one).

View attachment 81080

The price is right, the work excellent, and shipping is fast. Take the leap, get GPS installed, you won't be disappointed.

Just received my SDS100 battery cover latch today and I couldn't be happier, looks and feels way stronger than OEM. Thanks so much Jon for lightning-fast shipping on a superior product..

Xray

Because it is not a good habit to ask the bread maker how good is your bread ? Does that answer your question if you don’t want to answer than don’t.

You sure seem snippy, lockdown blues ?
If I wanted to reassure myself about someones service I'd sure as hell want to talk to them personally, so obvious I am surprised it has to be explained - I'm guessing thats exactly why he leaves his personal phone number, he understands it is a risk to send a $600 scanner to a stranger and he is looking to reassure people with personal contact.

Randy_Vick

Premium Subscriber
You sure seem snippy, lockdown blues ?
If I wanted to reassure myself about someones service I'd sure as hell want to talk to them personally, so obvious I am surprised it has to be explained - I'm guessing thats exactly why he leaves his personal phone number, he understands it is a risk to send a $600 scanner to a stranger and he is looking to reassure people with personal contact.
The personal contact ability is nice. And we all know a seller/contractor/provider is always completely forthcoming, particularly about defects.

Norman_24

I stand behind the quality of my work and the products I sell, but if you look around, you should have no trouble finding satisfied customers willing to recommend me.
I stand behind the quality of my work and the products I sell, but if you look around, you should have no trouble finding satisfied customers willing to recommend me.

And I for is one of them...

stevez97

Premium Subscriber
You won't have any problems with @jonwienke. He's been around here plus doing his GPS mods for a long time now.
Search his post history and you shall see nothing but good from those that used his services.

Approximately 2 weeks ago I had my SDS100 returned with the internal GPS mod. I am most satisfied and would highly recommend Jon and the work he does. Jon provides timely updates to any questions and does top-notch work. In regard to my particular situation, the time span for the mod was extended by a few days due to some error codes needing to be remedied. John kept me informed and in a short two days, the radio was en route back to me. The functionality of the internal GPS is truly impressive. I get lock-on very quickly and having GPS functionality without a host of wires makes this a most worth-while modification.

My only regret is that I was in the contemplation phase for so long. If you are considering this mod, trust me.............just go for it. You will be most pleased. IMO, this modification is worth every penny to make a great radio a SUPER great radio.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 436 has a on off switch
I had reliability issues with the switch, so I eliminated it. I now wire the GPS to USB power, so that the GPS runs when the scanner is plugged in (like when in a vehicle), but is off when running on batteries. In most cases you aren't moving far enough on battery power to need the GPS.

If you want the GPS to run even when on battery power I can do that, but it will shorten battery life by about 15-20%. Mention that in the notes when doing the order/payment thing, or send me an email.

fasteddy64

I had reliability issues with the switch, so I eliminated it. I now wire the GPS to USB power, so that the GPS runs when the scanner is plugged in (like when in a vehicle), but is off when running on batteries. In most cases you aren't moving far enough on battery power to need the GPS.

If you want the GPS to run even when on battery power I can do that, but it will shorten battery life by about 15-20%. Mention that in the notes when doing the order/payment thing, or send me an email.
Will do, thanks

RockyHanley0228

Premium Subscriber
I bought my sds100 from someone who had you do the gps internal mod and i am so happy with it your work is top notch . I recommended you to my friend who also has a sds100

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
I had the GPS installed and when I power it up on batteries, it flashes green/red. When I plug it into power it does the same thing. However, I never see "GPS" on the screen, am I missing something?

stevez97

Premium Subscriber
I had the GPS installed and when I power it up on batteries, it flashes green/red. When I plug it into power it does the same thing. However, I never see "GPS" on the screen, am I missing something?

Do you have the GPS set to the correct (9600) baud rate? Are you in a location that allows a good view of the satellites?

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
Yes on both. I also have a 436 that has internal GPS installed with the on/off switch and while turned on, it shows GPS on the screen.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If the status LED is flashing red/green, setting the serial port to 9600 should be all you need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.