Uniden Scanner Mods & Accessories - SDS100 Internal GPS Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
IDK, have you seen how inefficient their “current” GPS solution is for this radio? Just awful. :LOL:
You're right. On the other hand, Jon's was (or is) an excellent piece of electronics. I did no special testing but anecdotally, it appeared to only use about 15-20 minutes of battery power over a full day's use. If Uniden would (or could) use Jon's design, they might have something. I don't know if he got a patent for it. Besides electronics, Jon had also "interests" other than electronics which may be consuming his time now.

Ubbe

There's no special with Jon's use of the GPS module. You take a readymade GPS module and connect its TX data to the scanners USB ports RX, that's it. The trick is to find one that doesn't RF interfere with a scanners reception. That's why Uniden didn't want to have GPS or blutooth inside the scanner. Although several 2-way radio models have it but it might need a lot of work trying to shield them away from the receive electronics.

/Ubbe

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
A reminder that this thread is for feedback on the GPS module that Jon sells/used to sell. If you have concerns about Uniden's past and future product designs, discussing them in one of the Uniden forums, probably the Uniden Tavern, would be more appropriate.

junkycosmos

hello
Premium Subscriber
It was a module from Reyax the RY825 that are no longer available. They have the $30 RY826 but don't know it that will fit. It seems to be useable with its default settings. RY836AI | REYAX TECHNOLOGY 爱联智科技
Amazon.com: REYAX RY836AI 10Hz USB GPS Glonass BeiDou Antenna Module Pressure Compass Gyro sensors : Electronics

/Ubbe
Wonder if this could be wired to use power from and feed data into the USB ports on side of SDS100 ?
Would not be as slick as the internal unit done by the master here but might be a good "2nd choice" of if combined in a small package that clipped to the scanner ?
Anyone have pinouts for USB1 and USB2 in the side of the scanner ?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I can't find anybody local that can solder such microscopic leads (On the USB)

Ubbe

I can't find anybody local that can solder such microscopic leads (On the USB)
Those leads goes on the circuit board to other components that are easier to solder to. Sometimes there's a capacitor for each pin and sometimes protection diodes and at other times the actual IC that handle the USB signaling have bigger copper surfaces to use. Take out your multimeter and check for a 0 ohm connection from the pin.

/Ubbe

Reactions: RRR

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
He built them himself, I think.

I was thinking the same thing. If I can get a small enough module I can install it myself.

There's no special with Jon's use of the GPS module. You take a readymade GPS module and connect its TX data to the scanners USB ports RX, that's it. The trick is to find one that doesn't RF interfere with a scanners reception. That's why Uniden didn't want to have GPS or blutooth inside the scanner. Although several 2-way radio models have it but it might need a lot of work trying to shield them away from the receive electronics.

/Ubbe

I had that issue in an AnyTone unit. Some aluminum tape solved it real quick. I covered the flash memory chip with electrical tape, then aluminum tape atop that, the radio works fantastic even with both BT and GPS always on.

Reactions: RRR
Status
Not open for further replies.