Uniden scanner VS GRE scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,I was wondering which of these two scanners is a better performer?

The Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT VS the GRE PSR-600,I want to listen to the CT state police which is on a Motorola Type II SmartZone system.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
And the answer is...

YES

Look at each and determine which one has the best featureset for your needs. There is no such thing as a "better" scanner.

W6KRU

My 396XT has terrible digital decoding on the local simulcast smartzone system compared to my PSR-500. YMMV on other systems so you might want to ask people in your local area that listen to the same system you want to hear..

rdale

Premium Subscriber
DDan - Type II SmartZone systems are not CQPSK, so that's not the same.

eyes00only

I'll probably get admonished for this post, but of course there is always a BETTER scanner for a persons needs. As stated, some decode certain systems BETTER, some are BETTER on VHF-UHF, etc.

JK
And the answer is...

YES

Look at each and determine which one has the best featureset for your needs. There is no such thing as a "better" scanner.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
I'll probably get admonished for this post, but of course there is always a BETTER scanner for a persons needs.

Well that's true, but it isn't an answer to the question he asked. He asked which was better, period. So I agree with the first response, because there is no good answer to an ill formed question, and it was an ill formed question that the OP asked.

Objectively they are all fine radios. Each has different strengths and different weaknesses so to ask which is objectively "better" is asking a question that can't really be answered.

Which to buy depends on each person's needs and preferences. I have a Uniden 346XT and a GRE-800. The Uniden 396XT is the same as the 346 except for the added P25 decoding. And having experienced the 346 for several months I chose the GRE800 for P25. Actually the better comparison, IMO is between the 396, the Home Patrol, and the GRE800. The latter was the cheapest where I live and has the same database built in as the HP, so I picked it and am happy with it. Also it fits nicely in my shirt pocket, which the HP doesn't look as if it will do. But my needs and concerns and financial situation are not others.

I suggest the OP list what is and what is not important to him. Then there might be a reasonable answer.

eyes00only

Gee, I thought the OP was asking which was BETTER for a Mortorola Type II SmartZone system. There are none of those systems anymore in my area so I didn't make a recommendation.

JK

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Gee, I thought the OP was asking which was BETTER for a Mortorola Type II SmartZone system.

I have both and have used both on a Mot2 and neither are "better" in reception. If you need FTO, then the Uniden is better. If you prefer USB connections, then the GRE is better.

Hence the conclusion.

W6KRU

I have both and have used both on a Mot2 and neither are "better" in reception. If you need FTO, then the Uniden is better. If you prefer USB connections, then the GRE is better.

Hence the conclusion.

I have both and the GRE's digital decoding is far superior to my Unidens.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I have both and the GRE's digital decoding is far superior to my Unidens.

Which I think takes us back to square one :) For some the GRE's digital decoding is better, for some the Uniden's is better.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I will rephrase the question.What are the pros and cons of each radio regarding peformance? I understand that each scanner will suit this "persons" needs while not doing the same for another "person".

Has anyone had any problems with either radio? How is the digital decoding on all digital systems for each radio? And how is the GRE scanner with interference?

Last edited:

rwier

............ "insufficient data for a meaningful response".........

Lol, that's a good definition for over 95% of all questions posted on RR. Doesn't slow down non-meaningful responses though. Instead, it seem to attract them like a magnet, lol.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Just so you
know the uniden has a USB connecter too....

Well I know the 346XT is serial and so, I believe, is the 396XT. You need to buy a serial-usb conversion cable if your computer doesn't have any serial ports. The Home Patrol uses a straight USB I think, and I know the GRE-800 does. Most PC's sold these days don't have serial ports on them, having gone over to usb pretty much all the way. At least the Acer machine I bought last year is like that.

Even with a full usb cable the driver sets up a logical COM port for the data anyway, so it's a bit of a kludge that way.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I will rephrase the question.What are the pros and cons of each radio regarding peformance? I understand that each scanner will suit this "persons" needs while not doing the same for another "person".

Has anyone had any problems with either radio? How is the digital decoding on all digital systems for each radio? And how is the GRE scanner with interference?

Instead of reposting my review, I'll point you here.

It's kind of a toss up for CSP, since the Unidens have better reception on 800, but the GRE has a bit of an edge on decoding P25 audio. If you are using the scanner as a base and have good signal into your location, then the GRE would be fine. Mobile, the Uniden might have a slight edge.

jackj

I can't answer your question but thought I'd stick my oar in too. There is nothing wrong with the OP's question, he gave all the info needed to answer it. I thought it was really funny that one guy blamed the OP because he couldn't answer the question. Unfortunately, I only own a Uniden 996T so I can't compare it to anything else. I will tell you that I have never been happy with it's performance on the Motorola type II digital systems in my area, it's really bad on simulcast systems.

I would suggest comparing their performance on the system(s) you want to listen too. Radio Shack scanners are made by GRE and the same internally so you can try it out at a local Shack. Ask around and see if any of your friends or neighbors uses a Uniden and sample it. Don't go by price, Unidens cost more than GREs but I question that the extra money buys you anything of value.

DickH

... Radio Shack scanners are made by GRE ...

Not correct. RS scanners are made by both Uniden and GRE. If you look at the back of the manual, usually in the lower right corner, you will see a code.
UBZZ___ is made by Uniden, Japan.
GE-___ is made by GRE.

Status
Not open for further replies.