Uniden scanners and MACs....

Genoman

Are there ANY Uniden scanners that have software that work with a MAC without having to jump through hoops to make it think it's a PC? I just want something to work right off the bat. I've always had a Uniden/Bearcat scanner and would like to finally upgrade from my BCT15 and Trunk Tracker III. 😁 In the ensuing years, I've switched to a MAC and I see that the Home Patrol and one or two other Uniden scanners that I was looking at only update through PC based software.

Do I need to start looking at other manufacturers? Or do they all update through PCs?

a417

U+0000
Sorry, Sentinel (uniden's OEM software) requires modern windows.

Windows hardware will be required, or some hoops to be jumped thru. I would point the finger more at the Apple walled garden, rather than Uniden in this case.

You do not have to use it, they can still be programmed by hand - but the firmware will require it should you have to bump it up.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Are there ANY Uniden scanners that have software that work with a MAC without having to jump through hoops to make it think it's a PC? I just want something to work right off the bat. I've always had a Uniden/Bearcat scanner and would like to finally upgrade from my BCT15 and Trunk Tracker III. 😁 In the ensuing years, I've switched to a MAC and I see that the Home Patrol and one or two other Uniden scanners that I was looking at only update through PC based software.

Do I need to start looking at other manufacturers? Or do they all update through PCs?
You would need to either use software to enable your Mac run Windows for programming any of the current scanners, both Uniden as well as Whistler.
Mac Users of Police Scanner Radios | ScannerMaster.com

However, if you look around, you might find a used Windows laptop about as cheap as buying programs to have your Mac pretend to be a Windows machine. Sentinel, as well as other programs for Uniden scanners, does not require the 'latest & greatest' pc. It does not need to be a speedburner with lots of ram. As long as it runs Windows, and connect to the internet, that's all that is needed.

N9JIG

Sheriff
As a die-hard Mac user (and author of the article referenced by others in the thread) I have been doing this with Parallels, BootCamp and Fusion on Macs for years. ProScan, Sentinel, ARC, and others work fine with Parallels and BootCamp just fine.

BootCamp works only with Intel based Macs while Parallels works with both Intel and M1/M2 Apple Silicon processors. There are some issues that need to be dealt with but they are pretty much the same as one would have with "real" Windows computers (drivers, dotnet Framework etc.)

All that said, it is usually easier and cheaper to get a Windows computer. Parallels and a legal copy of Windows would cost you about $200, for that you can get even a new el-cheapo computer complete with Windows already installed.

If you are going to run things on a continuous basis like Virtual Control or a lot of programming then look at a Small For Factor (SFF) computer like an Intel NUC. These can often be found used for $100 or so for older versions. You don't need a lot of horse power for most of this stuff. I love the NUC series, it is basically the Mac Mini of the Windows world. I have a bunch of them.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Look for a refurbished windows 10 laptop. I picked up a new Asus laptop on sale for about $130. It has 4 GB of memory and 64 GB EMMC drive. It has a slot to add a M.2 drive if you need more storage. Not the fastest in the world but good for tasks like programming. It comes with Windows 11 S, which has limited software, but can be upgraded to full Windows 11 for free

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I would point the finger more at the Apple walled garden, rather than Uniden in this case.

Have to disagree. The 'walled garden' as you put it ensures consistency and a quality experience, rather than the Wild Wild West of Windoze, where the UI changes enormously with every major release, and where drivers and hardware are frequently less than optimal. Pretty much any manufacturer can whip together a CCC (Cheap Chinese Computer) to run Windoze, but there's a good chance it will have deficiencies on multiple levels.

Windows software can be ported to Mac by whoever writes it, it just takes the willingness to do so; RT Systems has been doing their ham radio software for both Windows and Mac for a couple of years now and it works just fine on both platforms.

Like N9JIG, I've been a die-hard Mac user for years, running this stuff on various Mac computers using either Boot Camp or VMWare Fusion without any problems at all. Only time I use a Windoze box is for programming radios at work, where I have no choice in the matter.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Like N9JIG, I've been a die-hard Mac user for years, running this stuff on various Mac computers using either Boot Camp or VMWare Fusion without any problems at all. Only time I use a Windoze box is for programming radios at work, where I have no choice in the matter.

One thing I forgot... Virtual Box is the same sort of thing as VMWare Fusion and Parallels, but it's free. If you already have a copy of Windows OS you can install (or can buy a cheap copy of WinXP or Win7 from eBay), you won't be spending much more than $20-30 or so. I've got it set up on a Macbook Air and it works quite nicely.

Using virtualization is not difficult, doesn't have to be expensive, and is preferable to having multiple computers to contend with.

Last edited:

EricRF

Windows software can be ported to Mac by whoever writes it, it just takes the willingness to do so; RT Systems has been doing their ham radio software for both Windows and Mac for a couple of years now and it works just fine on both platforms.
Also a die-hard Mac user and software developer for several decades (around 3). I've developed a lot of software that runs on a Mac and Windows, and still does on the most recent releases of MacOS. It can be a little tricky, but not impossible. It's easier if the intent is to write for cross-platform from the start, but porting is possible. For example, Java was originally touted as the "write once, run everywhere" language (i.e. automatic cross-platform) but that didn't really pan out for GUI applications. Not sure if that's changed in recent years.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Just a small nit. Parallels, VMWare, VBox are NOT emulators. Emulators are slow, kludgy, and mostly suck.

VMWare Fusion provides a full function free license for single user use. Comes without the extor-I mean "subscription" plan of Parallels or Fusion Pro.

For Apple Silicon Macs, (why do people think a Macintosh should be abbreviated like a hardware address? MAC is for a network address) VBox is nowhere near ready for use, and not even really supported. However, a Parallels or Fusion virtualization of WindowsARM, which then runs an x86-64 emulator, does work for the scanners (Uniden, Whistler, GRE) I have tested.

And writing software is not "trivial" or "easy", particularly when trying to do it cross-platform.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
One thing I forgot... Virtual Box is the same sort of thing as VMWare Fusion and Parallels, but it's free. If you already have a copy of Windows OS you can install (or can buy a cheap copy of WinXP or Win7 from eBay), you won't be spending much more than $20-30 or so. I've got it set up on a Macbook Air and it works quite nicely.

Using virtualization is not difficult, doesn't have to be expensive, and is preferable to having multiple computers to contend with.
Just a side note: Both ProScan and the ARC software programs require Windows 7 or above (ProScan specifies Win 7 SP1), So skip XP & look for a cheap copy of Windows 7 or better.

Genoman

Sigh. Ok. Thank you all for your input. I'm wondering if a Windows Tablet would work just as well? Otherwise, I'll talk to some of my computer tech friends and see if I can't rustle up a cheap, small Windows laptop.

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
Also a die-hard Mac user and software developer for several decades (around 3). I've developed a lot of software that runs on a Mac and Windows, and still does on the most recent releases of MacOS. It can be a little tricky, but not impossible. It's easier if the intent is to write for cross-platform from the start, but porting is possible. For example, Java was originally touted as the "write once, run everywhere" language (i.e. automatic cross-platform) but that didn't really pan out for GUI applications. Not sure if that's changed in recent years.
I use a mac for running my HF rig, and for years it worked great. Then sometime around MacOS 10.6 or 10.7 Apple started tinkering with things and it hasn't been the same since :(

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Regarding t runs on a Mac and Windows,
Windows software can be ported to Mac by whoever writes it, it just takes the willingness to do so;
It sounds so easy. I wish there was some magical tool to port a Windows program to MacOS. I would say it has more to do with time than willingness. A lot of time. I estimate my program would take between 8 to 12 years to port over to MacOS. My program has about 85 Win specific APIs, and many many WinForms that would have to be rewritten. Also the Windows controls such as textboxes, labels, comboboxes, grids, tabs, listboxes, etc.. will all have to be redone so the look and feel will be different. Not to mention the graphics which would take a few more years.

Last edited:

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
They're doing some wonderful stuff with AI-driven programming these days. Perhaps it's not too far in the future where you could toss the code to (some different code!) and say 'port this!' :)

sacluded

I just run bootcamp on my MacBook and it works for everything. I got a windows key off eBay for a couple bucks.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I just run bootcamp on my MacBook and it works for everything. I got a windows key off eBay for a couple bucks.
BootCamp does not work on M1 or M2 based Macs. While Parallels allows most programs to work there are some issues with drivers and older software packages that remain.