Uniden Scanners and Motorola Shuffled Band Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
While this is currently a regional (Illinois only) issue, it will likely eventually spread, so I'm posting this in the Uniden forum. You might arrive here because of a pointer in a regional forum.

I'm receiving word this week that the Grundy County, IL Motorola system rebanded with the "Motorola Shuffled" band plan. This is the first system to go live with this variation of the standard Motorola band plan, so do not yet have a definitive and tested setup for it, but tentatively users should try:

3 band plans, as:

Base 1: 851.0125
Step 1: 25 kHz
Offset 1: 319
Polarity: Negative (-)

Base 2: 851.0125
Step 2: 12.5 kHz
Offset 2: 559

Base 3: 851 or 851.0125 or 851.025
Step 3: 25 kHz
Offset 3: 759

Reports on success (or failure) using the above would be appreciated.

pto

Feed Provider
the grundy shuffle

Paul, Are the three band plans specific to the system frequencies?
If so, the frequencies listed for Grundy are wrong and have been for some time.
That's another story though!

If this is the case, I'll post the 'correct' lineup.

Thanks for You help.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The three band plans determine how the scanner (and the system two-ways) determine system frequencies. The Base frequencies are not themselves necessarily a system frequency.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
OK guys MR.Opitz comes thru AGAIN.....I put his plans polished a little in my 346XT and 396XT and Grundy WORKS!!!...Choose Custom menu under the Site, Bandplan1=base-lower-851.0125, base-upper-854.000-Step-25, offset-319, POL"-", Bandplan2-base-lower-851.0125, base-upper-868.9875, Step-12.5,offset-559, POL"-", Bandplan3-base-lower-851.025,base-upper-868.9875,Step-25,offset759,POL"-"....When it starts scanning you see i0816, sounds like a CC, L/O and it will not be heard and the system trunks Grundy great...THANK YOU MR. OPITZ.....

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You might want to watch it for a while to make sure it hits on all the system frequencies. If one or two are correct but the other one (or two) is not correct, you'd get partial reception. On channels where the band plan is wrong, you'd see the scanner quickly flip back and forth between the control channel and an incorrect frequency. I'm most suspicious of whether BP3 is going to be correct or not...

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
So far all BPlans work fine on all freqys on my 346,396,996 "XT" models...My 898xt does what Paul said and skips the transmissions on the 852 freqs but im not bothered by that model....AS mentioned you need to L/O that i80156 TG that sounds like the CC twice so its out for good??....Sounds like the old days Paul....

pto

Feed Provider
the shuffle continues, or, as Moto shuffles

Ron & Paul, this may be a dumb question, will these band plans work with the 'non XT' models? ie; 246t 396t, 996t etc;?
Is polarity still an issue?
If so, I updated my 396t last night and can't /don't have the option to change polarity.
(bad firmware update download?) Is firmware an issue?

Granted, I'm not home yet, to try the new band plans , just curious.

Group, Normally Ron & I would work this out amongst ourselves, but I don't think this is going to be the only shuffled system to come online and maybe our info may help others in the future.

Phil

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It will work in all models that have received a Rebanding update and have the Motorola Custom system type.

Not sure what you mean by "Is polarity still an issue?"...never has been an issue to my knowledge. You use + for all rebanded systems up to now, and for "shuffled" you will use - with the appropriate other band plan values. You do have to use "Custom" type (not MOT 800) for rebanded systems, though (might be why you are not seeing the option?).

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I think what Phil is saying is when he upgraded his 396t with the newest firmware for the rebanding ability he does not see the polarity in the menu??...I used pol-"+" first and it did not work, only when i changed the polarity to "-" then voice came.....I don't know how to do the 2096 Phil, im not sure how to change the rebanding to the new steps like in the Uniden products....

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Polarity will only be in the menu for systems/sites programmed as "Custom."

As far as I know, this kind of system cannot be programmed on any RS or GRE scanner at this time.

TGP

Premium Subscriber
So,if I understand this correctly I do not need to try this yet on my radios listening to St. Clair County IL. Star Com 21?
Thanks for all you do!
TGP

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
You do NOT set any bandplans for Starcom, this applies only to Grundy Co Trunk system....

pto

Feed Provider
The Shuffle Saga

I have done a 396T and 996T per UPMan and Ron's instructions.
All is well on the Grundy Shuffled system.

Thank You both very much.
Phil

Motorola Shuffled Band Plan

Polarity will only be in the menu for systems/sites programmed as "Custom."

As far as I know, this kind of system cannot be programmed on any RS or GRE scanner at this time.

To prevent an uproar about ill placed posts is this a good thread to ask about 396T updates?

Thank you

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Probably not a good place, but for those wanting to know where the rebanding updates are, the latest BCD396T update is available at BCD396TFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki. Substitute your model # in the path if you have a different model.

I cannot talk about updates until / unless they are disclosed in any case...so there is no good place.

DonS

This type of system can be programmed into any scanner that can effectively map "channel number" to "voice frequency", where the scanner's number of available mappings is at least as great as the number of voice frequencies. For this Grundy system, of course, that would include the entire PSR-500 family of scanners (for a system with fewer voice frequencies, one could even program a PRO-96 or PSR-300-family scanner). All one has to do is determine the channel -> frequency mapping.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I stand corrected, I was assuming the full channel calculation method, not the channel mapping method. My apologies for any confusion that this might have caused.

pto

Feed Provider
What I have as far as Grundy frequency "moto/rebanded" numbers are, per frequency,

851.8250 = 63
852.1875 = 90
852.6625 = 126
853.0875 = 158
853.6625 = 204
Don, does this help?
if this is wrong, pardon Me, I know the that the frequencies are correct though.

Thanks, Paul, DonS and RoninJoliet for the help.

Highpockets

I've been reading this thread, very interesting, at this point in the thread, would a program like Unitrunker or Trunk88 assist in any way to help figure out a band plan for a given system. (Motorola Shuffled Band Plan)

I'm not trying to take the thread off topic, I was just wondering if they could be helpful. I apologize if this is off topic, if so please move it to the Trunking Control Channel Decoding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.