Uniden Scanners capable of DMR/NXDN upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9upc

Greetings,

I was looking at purchasing another scanner soon as I have x2 436HP's and the internal batteries are having issues. Until Uniden answers me via email (third attempt) I was going to pick up another scanner. I plan to do the DMR/NXDN upgrade once the x2 436 HP's are fixed. Until that time I wish to get one that I can use to monitor DMR/NXDN.

I thought the SDS series came with the options already installed but since they do not I feel I can save some $$$ and buy a less expensive one. However, I have seen things across the web, here, and the Uniden site is a little confusing as to which ones can do DMR/NXDN. I am not asking for the answer, unless someone has it and it IS correct, but even just a good clear source - Which current production Uniden scanners are capable of the DMR/NXDN upgrade?

Any help would be great as I do not want to purchase and be stuck with something that does not allow or can do the upgrade. I know the upgrade will cost money and I need the scanner first. However, I want all my ducks in a row before I purchase (from HRO) this week.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
SDS models [if simulcast is in your area] and the 436/536 models [if simulcast is not in your area] accept both the DMR [Moto Trbo] and the NXDN upgrades.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

I was looking at purchasing another scanner soon as I have x2 436HP's and the internal batteries are having issues. Until Uniden answers me via email (third attempt) I was going to pick up another scanner. I plan to do the DMR/NXDN upgrade once the x2 436 HP's are fixed. Until that time I wish to get one that I can use to monitor DMR/NXDN.

I thought the SDS series came with the options already installed but since they do not I feel I can save some $$$ and buy a less expensive one. However, I have seen things across the web, here, and the Uniden site is a little confusing as to which ones can do DMR/NXDN. I am not asking for the answer, unless someone has it and it IS correct, but even just a good clear source - Which current production Uniden scanners are capable of the DMR/NXDN upgrade?

Any help would be great as I do not want to purchase and be stuck with something that does not allow or can do the upgrade. I know the upgrade will cost money and I need the scanner first. However, I want all my ducks in a row before I purchase (from HRO) this week.
The TRX-1 & TRX-2 have DMR & NXDN reception capability, though they do not actually track a trunked system using either of those modes. They are focused on receiving those transmissions by utilizing the emissions codes. If you are monitoring a system that is not really busy, they may work well for you, Uniden charges for the upgrade, since they have to pay a royalty for each scanner upgraded for DMR or NXDN. But doing that allow the Uniden scanners to actually trunk track DMR & NXDN systems.

n9upc

The TRX-1 & TRX-2 have DMR & NXDN reception capability, though they do not actually track a trunked system using either of those modes. They are focused on receiving those transmissions by utilizing the emissions codes. If you are monitoring a system that is not really busy, they may work well for you, Uniden charges for the upgrade, since they have to pay a royalty for each scanner upgraded for DMR or NXDN. But doing that allow the Uniden scanners to actually trunk track DMR & NXDN systems.

Thanks and that is why I was looking at Uniden instead of Whistler. Doing this to start to work on a set-up for monitoring some strategic partner systems.

n9upc

Just wanted to jump in and say thank you to all that replied. I did purchase the DMR upgrade for my 436HP as well as my new SDS-100. While traveling from IN -> IL -> WI it has proven well worth it.

Now I just need to get in an program some systems into it for confirmed and ease scanning. (I think manually programming them is more than programming Kenwood/EFJ and Motorola on trunking systems :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.