Uniden SDS 100 or Unication G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

minasha

Question Please:
On P25 trunking systems mainly LSM but non LSM too I never had luck with all scanners, 436hp, 325p2, WS1080/pro668
In order to hear a TG I'm interested in I would have to find a "sweet spot" in my home to monitor it, but if moved even a few inches it would
garble or disappear.
Then I got a Unication G5 and magic! All Tg's would be rock solid anywhere I used it never losing reception.
My question is:
Will this be the same with the Uniden SDS 100? will my P25 systems be rock solid anywhere like the G5 is

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I had an SDS100 and it worked just as well on simulcast as the G5. I just like the smaller size and portability of the G5 and it has a bit better battery life. I only listen to one P25 system so the additional scanning capabilities of the SDS100 are not of interest to me.

cfegs

I have an SDS100 and G5. I would hear transmissions from a nearby county crystal clear on the G5 but the SDS100 sitting right near my G5 would not pick anything up. I tried moving the SDS100 around while they were still transmitting and could still not pick up the transmissions that I was hearing on the G5. I think the G5 is more superior to receiving P25 Trunking systems.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Unications are better are picking up weak signals than the Unidens, and may be a better choice if you want to monitor a system from outside its intended coverage area. But given reasonable signal strength, the SDS models handle simulcast perfectly. The Unidens also cover more bands than the Unications, are much better at scanning multiple systems, and are far better for travel use with GPS and Location Control.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I wil agree with Jon, I have an SDS200, not a 100 that is mobile mounted and versatility wise, it gives more bang for the buck. As far as sensitivity on a distant system, the G5 is the choice, so if you're only looking to monitor those two systems, I'd go with the G5, otherwise, the SDS is probably the better option.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Presently, the G5 can monitor only a single system at a time. You may want to wait until the beta firmware version 1.4 testing is completed and see what features it adds. It is intended to make the pager act more like a scanner. If you only want to monitor 700/800 MHz, the G4 pager will save you some money.

minasha

Of the 3 P25 systems I listen to, all are local systems to me, 1 is LSM and the other 2 are regular P25 systems.
Does that sound like the Uniden will be good for me ? or will i need to search for a sweet spot?

belvdr

No longer interested in living
My deciding factor was connectivity to external audio. The Unication bluetooth option doesn't seem to be the best implementation so I went with Uniden.

If you have 3 systems you want to monitor at once, the Unication is not a current option.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you have 3 systems you want to monitor at once, the Unication is not a current option.
That is why I suggested waiting until the version 1.4 firmware is available to see if that option is added. minasha, you may want to ask about scanning multiple systems with the new v1.4 firmware on the Unication forum.

Last edited:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Actually, it doesn't look like he's asking which would be better, I think the question is if he gets an SDS100 can he expect the same performance as his G5? Unfortunately, without a lot more info, I think the best answer is order it from somewhere with a decent return policy and if it doesn't meet your expectations, return it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
With local systems, (monitoring within designed coverage area), there isn't going to be much difference between the SDS and Unication. The Uniden's better scan functionality would probably make it a better choice.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
With local systems, (monitoring within designed coverage area), there isn't going to be much difference between the SDS and Unication. The Uniden's better scan functionality would probably make it a better choice.
But, as I read it, there isn't a choice. The OP already has a G5, they are not asking which is the better choice they are asking if they buy a SDS100 will it have the same performance as the G5, which the 436hp, 325p2, WS1080/pro668 that they have tried were unable to duplicate on both LSM and non-LSM systems.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Agree with this 100 percent.
I had an SDS100 and it worked just as well on simulcast as the G5. I just like the smaller size and portability of the G5 and it has a bit better battery life. I only listen to one P25 system so the additional scanning capabilities of the SDS100 are not of interest to me.

whooey

I had interest in getting a Unication G5, but lack of talk group hold and no delay after transmissions was a deal breaker for me. Will version 1.4 firmware address these 2 issues?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have never owned a Unication, but from what I have read here for a long time, they are suited more for someone parking it on a specific base dispatch TG and probably what is desired for first responders and medical, LEO, etc. to hear their agency, and for someone needing to hear a specific system. Indeed, a pager.

The SDS100/200 is a lot more fun ;)

minasha

I have never owned a Unication, but from what I have read here for a long time, they are suited more for someone parking it on a specific base dispatch TG and probably what is desired for first responders and medical, LEO, etc. to hear their agency, and for someone needing to hear a specific system. Indeed, a pager.

For me I want to know when I put my radio down anywhere in my home it will receive my local p25 systems clearly
With a Unication it does, will it do the same with a Uniden? that's my question

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber

You've misinterpreted what you've read then.

I use it to monitor most of the State of Rhode Island. About 75% of the communities are on the RISCON sytem and it allows me to plug in the TG's for all of those fire departments and scan them. I am part of the beta testing, so I have the TG hold option-which should soon be available to everyone. Definitely not what you describe. It is a pager, just not the simple one that you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.