SDS100/SDS200: Uniden SDS-100 Problem

minasha

SDS strange problem
First I want to say:
1- I have my SDS-100 for 2 weeks now
2- I am receiving 4 p25 systems, 1 is an LSM system
3- I am using a ground plane antenna.
4- I have fantastic signals on all 4 systems including the LSM system.
4- rssi are -55 to -70 error count 0-5
The reception is superb no garbled voices solid all around
Here is the problem:
while scanning most of the time I see a talk group light up on the screen for a second or 2 but it never locks or
gives me audio, just blinks and then it starts scanning again. If It does this a second time I quickly hit channel lock softkey and the TG comes in loud and clear. It should stop scanning and open the audio but it doesn't I have to lock it with channel lock softkey to hear it. It happens about 70% of the time sometimes it scans and receives fine then the problem begins again.
It does this on all systems. There must be something to correct this problem I can't figure out what to try.
Please don't suggest hold time or delay time as it has nothing to do with either setting.
Thanks to everyone in advance.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It would be helpful to know what system you are having this issue with and the talkgroup(s) that have the issue.,,,Mike

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I actually have a similar issue with the SDS-100 on just 1 particular Phase 2 system, while scanning it will sometimes momentarily hang on talkgroups when there is no voice traffic, in a very similar manner to an ENC talkgroup.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Did you update the firmware when you received your new SDS-200?

Have you experimented at all with the various filter settings?

Ubbe

If you have a delay set to the TG it should stay on it for that time, regardless of if you lose the signal. The only time it should immediately start to scan are if it thinks it's an encrypted TG, or perhaps a data information transmission if Uniden have fixed that bug. Maybe it will also begin to scan if you have set a fixed NAC and it falsely decodes it wrong. Set that to search or ignore and try again.

I only have one conventional P25 system but on DMR system I often see that both SDS100 and 436 and 546 decodes the color code wrong. The system sends color 1 and a DMR radio works 100% with that code but there are problems with Unidens scanners. If I set it to search for the color code and later look in the recordings I can see that it sometimes logs a different color code, and it's the only system using that frequency.

I try and set as much as possible to search in Uniden scanners as the decode process are so unreliable. If I avoid a DMR TG the same conversation can suddenly pop up again in mid-sentence with another totally out of range TG number for that system. I never see that happen in Whistler scanners.

/Ubbe

minasha

I actually have a similar issue with the SDS-100 on just 1 particular Phase 2 system, while scanning it will sometimes momentarily hang on talkgroups when there is no voice traffic, in a very similar manner to an ENC talkgroup.
Yes like encrypted but the tg are not encrypted

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm this erratic behavior on Phase 2 talkgroups. After a few cycles when their is a long transmission, it will stop on the active talkgroup. Uniden still has an issue with Phase 2 decoding since the x36hp series. It has a difficult time when both slots are being used on the frequencies by 2 separate users. I know it's "on the list", but that doesn't help. No solution unfortunately that I've found.

minasha

I can confirm this erratic behavior on Phase 2 talkgroups. After a few cycles when their is a long transmission, it will stop on the active talkgroup. Uniden still has an issue with Phase 2 decoding since the x36hp series. It has a difficult time when both slots are being used on the frequencies by 2 separate users. I know it's "on the list", but that doesn't help. No solution unfortunately that I've found.
Thank you

minasha

I have this issue whenever I monitor the Aurora, CO simulcast system, luckily I don't live in the area so I don't monitor it much. But it's really annoying.
Especially annoying when a 436 or ws 1080 stop on these tg s and our "top of the line" sds 100 skips right passed them

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Nycicn and Njics do it the most
I hear them both fine up here in Ct 70 miles or more away. Right now at about -100dbm. But, I have to leave the squelch at 0. I'm sure you are aware, there are hundreds of encrypted talkgroups on those systems which would act exactly as you are describing. If you have software that logs the talkgroup hits, you can see if they are encrypted ones. Here are my settings if it helps?
Clipboard-1.jpg

minasha

I hear them both fine up here in Ct 70 miles or more away. Right now at about -100dbm. But, I have to leave the squelch at 0. I'm sure you are aware, there are hundreds of encrypted talkgroups on those systems which would act exactly as you are describing. If you have software that logs the talkgroup hits, you can see if they are encrypted ones.
I look on top of the screen when it happens to see if it says encrypt and it doesn't but maybe they are encrypted so logging software is something to try thanks