Uniden SDS 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

shocker81

Is there anybody in the Wichita area that has a Uniden SDS 100 that has all of the KSICS frequencies and all of the law and fire and ems talk groups installed? If so how is the reception from Wichita. I have the Pro 106 and the Pro 2096 and I pick up several agencies. I pick up Ford County S/O, Butler County, Reno County, Kansas Highway Patrol Troop C, Troop D, Troop E, and Troop H. I even pick up Ellis County and Ellsworth County as well as Pottawattatomie County. I am considering buying a SDS 100 depending on how the reception is. Also how does it do with picking up Sedgwick County and Wichita? Are there any dropouts?

Last edited:

shepsvettes

Is there anybody in the Wichita area that has a Uniden SDS 100 that has all of the KSICS frequencies and all of the law and fire and ems talk groups installed? If so how is the reception from Wichita. I have the Pro 106 and the Pro 2096 and I pick up several agencies. I pick up Ford County S/O, Butler County, Reno County, Kansas Highway Patrol Troop C, Troop D, Troop E, and Troop H. I even pick up Ellis County and Ellsworth County as well as Pottawattatomie County. I am considering buying a SDS 100 depending on how the reception is. Also how does it do with picking up Sedgwick County and Wichita? Are there any dropouts?
Im in Nw Wichita. My SDS100 picks up all surrounding county's just fine. No problem with simulcast anywhere I take it in Wichita.

shocker81

Im in Nw Wichita. My SDS100 picks up all surrounding county's just fine. No problem with simulcast anywhere I take it in Wichita.
Ok. But do you pick up any counties on KSICS like the far out counties like I mentioned?

dgruver911

You can't pick up distant counties in Wichita unless someone from that county is in the Wichita area, has their radio tuned to their local channel, and it is set as statewide on the system. Trunking just doesn't work that way. Otherwise they would need a thousand repeaters at each site.

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
Ok. But do you pick up any counties on KSICS like the far out counties like I mentioned?
The KHP uses some frequencies that cover the state,I am in Wichita and listen to the Highway Patrol in the Kansas City,Salina,Lawrence area..I hear them all the time,also the Turnpike authority uses the same,I hear KHP and KDOT and turnpike collectors from the south border all the way up into the Kansas City area.

shocker81

You can't pick up distant counties in Wichita unless someone from that county is in the Wichita area, has their radio tuned to their local channel, and it is set as statewide on the system. Trunking just doesn't work that way. Otherwise they would need a thousand repeaters at each site.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know what kind of options they had on their radios. I just knew on some days I can hear KHP in Troops A. B, C, D, E and Troop H and some days I wouldn't hear them so I couldn't figure it out. Troop C was always more active except for Troop F. But other agencies were coming on some days and not on some days. Barton County SO was very active now I hardly hear them at all. One thing I hear consistantly across the state and out of state are all of the medical helicopters. I hear them everyday from Goodland to Springfield, Missouri and from Kansas City to Elkhart, Kansas.

dgruver911

The KHP uses some frequencies that cover the state,I am in Wichita and listen to the Highway Patrol in the Kansas City,Salina,Lawrence area..I hear them all the time,also the Turnpike authority uses the same,I hear KHP and KDOT and turnpike collectors from the south border all the way up into the Kansas City area.

And again, their talkgroups are all statewide, but unless someone from Troop A is in Wichita, affiliated with that tower, with their radio set on troop A, you're not going to hear it. Yes it happens, and yes far too many agencies DO have their channels statewide. When I run reports and see how many dozens of small PD's and SO's hit our local towers every month as they travel to KLETC, it seems ridiculous to me. I have had the state block talkgroups from our towers because they were hitting them far too much and unnecessarily and causing our users to busy out.

Status
Not open for further replies.