Uniden SDS-1000 HDX (Fantasy scanner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

techynyc

I noticed today that the SDS 200 was SOLD OUT on Uniden's website. Due to supply chain interruptions it may be a while before they can get back up to speed to build and sell more units for the later half of 2020. This got me to think more about the global supply chains. Uniden as a global electronics manufacturer will face the same economic choice as many others:

1: Restart production of SDS-200 units (which could take months).
2: Accelerate the development/ production of their next generation SDS product. for sale in 2021

I'm not suggesting Uniden will abandon the SDS 100/200 owners. They would issue minor software tweaks and upgrades. But my economic management 101 ‘gut sense’ tells me that Uniden is better off spending its time and resources on its 'next gen' SDS series scanner.
(This fantasy model is a “mash up” of features from the SDS 200, ICOM 8600 and AOR4700.) It would make it easier if Uniden was acquired by Icom because together they could make an awesome products - combining patents, features and consolidating manufacturing.

I’m curious what other RR scanner heads think of the below. Add your own “feature suggestions” to add in the comments.
UPMAN didn’t whisper or offer any suggestion I swear!

------
June 1, 2020 Uniden announces they are accepting deposits for pre-orders of the "SDS 1000 HDX" (Tesla)

SDS-1000 HDX Features: (Start with SDS-200 then add/update/extend with features found in the Icom 8600 and AOL-4700)

Dimensions - W x H x D: 220 × 90 × 230 mm (Icom 8600) metal case
Screen - 7" Hi resolution TFT touch LCD screen (Icom 8600)
Screen Displays: Waterfall and Band Scope display functions (Icom 8600)
Multi Split-screen capability (AOR-4700)

4x independent tuners (VFOs) (AOR-4700)

Multiple Antennas: (Icom 8600)
2x PL-259 (50 Ω)
2x BNC (50 Ω)

Trunk Tracker X
RX digital: P25 Phase I+II, DMR, NXDN*, D-STAR*, ProVoice* (*included)
RX analog: USB, LSB, FSK, CW, AM, S-AM, FM & WFM

CW-Morse Decoder – Onscreen text display with logging to memory.
Frequency coverage (10kHz – 3GHz) (Icom 8600)
10.000kHz–499.999 MHz
500.000–1099.999 MHz
1100.000–1499.999 MHz
1500.000–3000.000 MHz

Connections: Front
Micro SD card slot (128 GB SD)
Micro-USB
3.5 mm headphone
Connections: Rear
2x USB-C (rear)
RJ-45 (rear)
2x HDMI (for dual monitors)
Remote control for VFO dials
Ext Speaker
4x 3.5 mm output jacks (AOR-4700)

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
MSRP would probably be in the $3000-3500 or more. Including more digital modes out of the box would only drive the bottom line up much further. Provoice is an obsolete mode with very few systems still in existence, might be better to keep this as an option & perhaps add YSF & Tetra to the option mix too, LOL. In all honesty an SDR, a laptop and the right software can do most of this for a fraction of the price so I highly doubt there'd be that much of a market aside from the serious communications enthusiast with $$$ to burn which may be highly uncommon given today's economic climate amidst the coronavirus pandemic

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I noticed today that the SDS 200 was SOLD OUT on Uniden's website. Due to supply chain interruptions it may be a while before they can get back up to speed to build and sell more units for the later half of 2020.

It's been posted many times here in the forums.....

Uniden's website quite often shows "out of stock" for many of their items. They have clearly stated that they prefer to push units to their dealers first so as not to compete with them for sales.

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
AOR? SERIOUSLY? <gag>
Currently the radios are being made in VietNam, from what I heard. Good quality (vs. China or Philippines) but considering the coros crap things came to a standstill. There are a few places that have current stock

Ubbe

I wonder what the SDS500 are supposed to offer. The roumors about SDS100 and SDS200 turned out to be true and the SDS500 where mentioned at the same time, so no reason to doubt that it also exists at Uniden.

I would like to see a scanner with good RF performance using more front end filtering and a better receiver.
Maybe varicap filters and/or programmable varicap notch filter to attenuate strong off frequency signals.

It should have several assignable antenna connectors to link to from each memory channel and frequency range settings.

The IF at 45MHz or around that band, should have an output that could be connected to a SDR dongle and then a computer would handle the decoding process of different modes. A serial USB datacommunication would be used so that the decoding process could stop scan/search when needed to give enough time for the decoding to analyze the signal and either stop to monitor or send command to continue scan.

The same USB link are also used to send commands from scanner to PC to start recording the audio, or the whole IF spectra, and also the text tags and audio and visual alerts from the scanners programming as the scanners audio could be selected to mute if all audio should be played from the PC or some, or all audio, from scanner and the audio are then in some cases needed to be sent over from the PC over USB to the scanner to be output from the speaker with the scanners own volume control.

Two physical different receivers so that one receiver scan one channel and the other scan the next channel while the first one analyze the signal. It would double the scan/search rate and could also be used for true priority listening. A complete BCT15x costs $200 with front panel and all, so a extra receiver shouldn't cost much to add.

When two receivers are used the second one could then also be used to scan the last active channels in a small activity list so that a later response to a call, or most active channels, are always monitored for a defined time period, like 10 minutes.

With two receivers they could be used in a diversity configuration to use the receiver with the best signal.

The same way the offset volume are used it could also be used for treble and bass control of each channel/TG and also for squelch offset.

The scanner could have a channel/TG/UID setting to zoom the display to show only the vital info in a big font size. It could go back to normal display after some seconds but zoom again if new info are shown.

Each channel/TG/UID could have a personality selection of 15 different ones and each personality are set with the different parameters that a scanner needs. Delay time, temp avoid time, hold time, antenna input, bas/treble/AGC, activity scan list enable, turbo scan mode, diversity, audio out PC/scanner, attention tone/visuals, voice/IF record, external trigger out relay, external input for resume scan, avoid, hold, mute, replay, zoom, offset level for squelch and volume, monitor encrypt, etc.

Attenuation continously adjustable between 0-20dB for each personality.

Low-noise 10dB pre-amp on/off for each personality.

Signal strenght meter that gives a warning when near overload levels.

Indication/alert when a frequency are offset more than 3Khz.

Frequency calibration option in the menu to be used with a known good signal.

VFO memory that quickly sets a frequency to monitor from several memory positions, and goes back to previous mode when exit.

Fully programmable bandplan with start and stop frequencies and step size and modulation mode. The same for reverse/repeater mode.

Photo sensor to adjust display backlight/contrast.

Microphone capsule (the loudspeaker could be used while idle) to detect background noise level and adjust speaker volume accordingly at a settable scale, like many car radios do.

Ignition sense control to power off/on and with adjustable off timer, 0-60minutes.

CTCSS/DCS should work as normal and with ignore/search for a channel but also with a None parameter that are used when no subtones are detected.

Most programmable values should be selectable from the dial wheel to quickly adjust the setting, like treble/bass/high pass filter or RF filters/attenuator/gain or antenna inputs.

When scanning/searching frequencies and TG's it could give an alert and show a symbol that informs if it is an unknown frequency or TG detected, even when id-scanning. At least when under PC control and the PC have compiled all frequencies and TGs into a lockup table.

/Ubbe

Kaleier1

All I want to see is a simple firmware update that allows two things for the SDS200.

1. An option that allows me to have the keypad back light off, but if I press a button on the keypad, the back light comes on and stays on until 5 or 10 seconds after the last key press. Currently it can either be on all the time or off all the time.

2. When the display is set to be off except during squelch openings, have an option to set how long the display stays on after the signal disappears. So many times I hear something of interest and look up to see what channel or agency it was and the display has already blacked out.

and this isn't as simple but

3. Automatic volume limit to equalize the volume between those who speak normally and those who scream into the microphone.

Since Uniden hasn't come out with a firmware update in almost a year, they should open source the open source it and let the community add to it and make changes.

techynyc

I wonder what the SDS500 are supposed to offer. The roumors about SDS100 and SDS200 turned out to be true and the SDS500 where mentioned at the same time, so no reason to doubt that it also exists at Uniden.

I would like to see a scanner with good RF performance using more front end filtering and a better receiver.
Maybe varicap filters and/or programmable varicap notch filter to attenuate strong off frequency signals.

It should have several assignable antenna connectors to link to from each memory channel and frequency range settings.

The IF at 45MHz or around that band, should have an output that could be connected to a SDR dongle and then a computer would handle the decoding process of different modes. A serial USB datacommunication would be used so that the decoding process could stop scan/search when needed to give enough time for the decoding to analyze the signal and either stop to monitor or send command to continue scan.

The same USB link are also used to send commands from scanner to PC to start recording the audio, or the whole IF spectra, and also the text tags and audio and visual alerts from the scanners programming as the scanners audio could be selected to mute if all audio should be played from the PC or some, or all audio, from scanner and the audio are then in some cases needed to be sent over from the PC over USB to the scanner to be output from the speaker with the scanners own volume control.

Two physical different receivers so that one receiver scan one channel and the other scan the next channel while the first one analyze the signal. It would double the scan/search rate and could also be used for true priority listening. A complete BCT15x costs $200 with front panel and all, so a extra receiver shouldn't cost much to add.

When two receivers are used the second one could then also be used to scan the last active channels in a small activity list so that a later response to a call, or most active channels, are always monitored for a defined time period, like 10 minutes.

With two receivers they could be used in a diversity configuration to use the receiver with the best signal.

The same way the offset volume are used it could also be used for treble and bass control of each channel/TG and also for squelch offset.

The scanner could have a channel/TG/UID setting to zoom the display to show only the vital info in a big font size. It could go back to normal display after some seconds but zoom again if new info are shown.

Each channel/TG/UID could have a personality selection of 15 different ones and each personality are set with the different parameters that a scanner needs. Delay time, temp avoid time, hold time, antenna input, bas/treble/AGC, activity scan list enable, turbo scan mode, diversity, audio out PC/scanner, attention tone/visuals, voice/IF record, external trigger out relay, external input for resume scan, avoid, hold, mute, replay, zoom, offset level for squelch and volume, monitor encrypt, etc.

Attenuation continously adjustable between 0-20dB for each personality.

Low-noise 10dB pre-amp on/off for each personality.

Signal strenght meter that gives a warning when near overload levels.

Indication/alert when a frequency are offset more than 3Khz.

Frequency calibration option in the menu to be used with a known good signal.

VFO memory that quickly sets a frequency to monitor from several memory positions, and goes back to previous mode when exit.

Fully programmable bandplan with start and stop frequencies and step size and modulation mode. The same for reverse/repeater mode.

Photo sensor to adjust display backlight/contrast.

Microphone capsule (the loudspeaker could be used while idle) to detect background noise level and adjust speaker volume accordingly at a settable scale, like many car radios do.

Ignition sense control to power off/on and with adjustable off timer, 0-60minutes.

CTCSS/DCS should work as normal and with ignore/search for a channel but also with a None parameter that are used when no subtones are detected.

Most programmable values should be selectable from the dial wheel to quickly adjust the setting, like treble/bass/high pass filter or RF filters/attenuator/gain or antenna inputs.

When scanning/searching frequencies and TG's it could give an alert and show a symbol that informs if it is an unknown frequency or TG detected, even when id-scanning. At least when under PC control and the PC have compiled all frequencies and TGs into a lockup table.

/Ubbe
THANKS UBBE! WOW, Now that is a response with heart and soul and lots of thougthful detail. I started this thread to get all of us Uniden "Scanner heads" thinking about how we could collectively croud-source desgn and features for then Next Gen Uniden Scanner. Yes, we will scratch ProVoice, Yes it will costs lots more money. That's the whole point of this exercise. Let find what makes a better product. I hope other RR Uniden fans will add their thoughts to this thread. Its a nice distraction from the EMS calls I am hearing on my scanner.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Several receivers sound great, BUT..... Make them optional addons (post buy, IE Supports up to 6 receivers, 2 are included). As much as I would love to see 4 wideband receivers, maybe look at a high performance band(s) specific models. (HF, VHF-low, VHF-hi, Air Band, UHF 440-470, 700/800, etc.).

For Fire Tone Out, which sounds great currently but in use is really limited, by having a dedicated receiver listening to the FTO freq would make it more usable.

These receiver "Modules" would be a plug and play expansion slot type add on. It would have a BNC connector that would be similar to a computer case. Remove the blank and install the new module. Clicks in and when in place it screws in and is locked into place and with the RX port out of the back. It would also reseal the unit to provide dust and water resistance via a gasket of some type.

Also add in a internal style GPS antenna w/ the option to add an external GPS antenna that is powered by the unit. The antenna would be a small bulge on the top of the case (Similar to an aftermarket XM antenna but mounted to the case).

WiFi builtin along with Bluetooth.

A line out/recording port, along with a headphone port.

Software.... rewrite the software so for example. I have my normal scan list. I save it to the computer as "Normal" everything is saved, profile, freqs, tones, etc. Then I get ready to go on a trip to Kansas lets say. I get the freqs for RR, add in a few more. Then I save that as "Kansas Trip" and upload to the scanner. Take my trip and all goes well, come back, and just load "Normal" and its all back to the way it was.

Add in a true discriminator tap line out.

And for my PIE in the sky, the ability to add in keys for (e) systems for receive only (Obviously). These would be safeguarded and wouldn't be able to accessed by the internet. I know several of us in public safety also have scanners and would like the ability to have a "all in one" receiver.

There, that should make the price several $K but it would be the McLaren super-car of the scanner world.

ludek-brno

Anybody else who wants a scanner with a fountain ???
All you need is TETRA TMO / DMO and that's too much !!!

techynyc

This is great banter, suggestions, technical usage discussions. Clearly there are many people who have ideas on what they would in their next Uniden scanner. Thank for taking the time to post a reply.
Keep it coming!

sfb88

Maybe a simple fantasy scanner would be a collaboration between Uniden and Unication with Unication providing receiver hardware and Uniden handling the scanning and trunking software.

techynyc

Thank you to KB7GJY for taking the time to post a detailed reply.
That was a good point. Public Safety Police/Fire/EMS/Military, Auxiliary etc. and their families are also scanner users. Securing Encryption "Keys" for P25E Public Safety Users & Accredited Media etc could be implemented via a USB (ie Google Titan Security key) that is specifically locked to the MAC address of the Scanner. Remove the physical USB security key and the encryption is turned off. Attempt to insert the key into another scanner and it won't work. Key will then "bricked" itself. Great idea!

I didn't include Wifi/BlueTooth/GPS in my original specs as I though their respective TX/RX might cause interference with the receiver’s sensitive internals, but still they are both definitely a contemporary techn features to consider for inclusion. The 3.5 mm like the RCA phono output is becoming obsolete anyway. I like the idea of a external GPS antenna connecting - lower cost if not on-board and inter-changable with a more-accurate 3rd party version. Built-in externally-accessible discriminator tap would really open this unit up to many clever uses and hacks - like tracking ATIS and AIS tracking integrated with Google maps! Booyah!

Screen size. Do you enjoy squinting to read the screen on your BC996P2? The BC996P2’s screen looks like a toy compared to the SDS-200.
The SDS 20-‘s screen looks like a toy compared to the Icom 8600’s high resolution screen. (FYI it was this realization is what got me to start this thread.)
(Correction: Icom 8600 has a 4.3” in screen.) I'd prefer one even bigger 7"
Hint: iPhone and Samsung abandoned small phones Users loved the big screen!

techynyc

AOR? SERIOUSLY? <gag>
Currently the radios are being made in VietNam, from what I heard. Good quality (vs. China or Philippines) but considering the coros crap things came to a standstill. There are a few places that have current stock
I happen to like their next gen AOR AR7400 model which the Product demo image shows 4 VFOs. Thought that was ingenious feature especially for an Air Band focused scanner. But WHY do they think making this so small and compact is an advantage. Its gonna be hard to see that screen with 4 mini VFOs. That maybe advantageous to Japanese market where compactness (cars/apartments/dogs) is important. In USA we like things bigger. Make a version built like a 4 door Toyota Tundra, F-150 or Dodge Ram with vibration dampening, larger armored corners and rubberized knobs and you win us over! Make it so that you could swap the standard ivory cover with some form of camouflage pattern and you'd sell 100,000 units on Bass Pro Shops in a year. Let be honest Preppers, like to have their hardware match their camouflage patterns when the SHTF or its the TEOTWAWKI too. Link to AOL 7400 here --> new AOR AR7400

Last edited:

Ubbe

AOR re-use their hardware to save costs.

ar1-2-_pr10463_1.png
aor-ar-dv1.jpg

/Ubbe

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
That was a good point. Public Safety Police/Fire/EMS/Military, Auxiliary etc. and their families are also scanner users. Securing Encryption "Keys" for P25E Public Safety Users & Accredited Media etc could be implemented via a USB (ie Google Titan Security key) that is specifically locked to the MAC address of the Scanner. Remove the physical USB security key and the encryption is turned off. Attempt to insert the key into another scanner and it won't work. Key will then "bricked" itself. Great idea!

I have a better idea, leave the primary dispatch and normal channels in the clear and reserve encryption for sensitive operations (SWAT raids, drug busts, etc).

On topic with the OP, I agree with others that multiple receiver and multiple antenna capability would be awesome if the unit could function efficiently with such a configuration. Though I could foresee that cutting the amount of radios in a room in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.