Not open for further replies.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Something strange here.
I just received a new SDS 200 the firmware version is Main Version 1.10.08
Sub Version 1.02.01

The SDS 200 that I have had for awhile has firmware Main Version 1.10.00
Sub Version 1.02.01

I went into Sentinel software for both tried firmware update : both came up with message
This version of the scanner is the current version

Both radios where purchased in the USA

So what goes on here ?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I have two SDS200’s that show the same 1.10.00 & 1.02.01 numbers for main & sub respectively. And when I check i’m told my firmware is also up to date. I also wonder about why your new SDS200 shows a main firmware version that is different. I didn’t look at the update history to determine what Uniden improved upon with the .08 update but perhaps Uniden thinks the .08 update isn’t worth being pushed out due to it being minor?

Ubbe

But the good news is that firmware upgrades are still in progress and not at a stand still, even if they aren't pushed out to all users at this moment.
That needs someone so manage the upgrade server and writing release notes and that person might not yet be in place, or haven't reached that stage in his learning process.

/Ubbe

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Guessing we are all spitballing?... and knowing Uniden’s track record for responding, this question will go unanswered by them, even when Upman was our definitive source of all things Uniden. I’ve come to rely on the “Scanner Guys” from Scanner Master... they seem to have an “in” with Uniden. It’s probably some Uniden contact the dealers routinely talk to. I shouldn’t forget to mention RR wiki also. It probably wouldn’t hurt to ask the Scanner Guys about this and see what they can glean and post to RR.

etihparg

Premium Subscriber
I have two SDS200’s that show the same 1.10.00 & 1.02.01 numbers for main & sub respectively. And when I check i’m told my firmware is also up to date. I also wonder about why your new SDS200 shows a main firmware version that is different. I didn’t look at the update history to determine what Uniden improved upon with the .08 update but perhaps Uniden thinks the .08 update isn’t worth being pushed out due to it being minor?
Same here....

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Well, we knew the hobby suffered a serious blow with the passing of Upman. Hopefully Uniden can begin work on someone who may eventually fill his shoes, to the extent possible.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Top is old scanner , bottom is new scanner firmware versions.

IMG_1731.jpg

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Guessing we are all spitballing?... and knowing Uniden’s track record for responding, this question will go unanswered by them, even when Upman was our definitive source of all things Uniden.

I do remember UPMan responding to a similar question way back somewhere in ancient forum history. I'll continue to look for his post on the subject

So what goes on here ?

It's not unheard of to see that. Uniden has done it before, and other products from other manufacturers have also put newer firmware versions in units that were recently manufactured, but not offered as public releases for earlier production of the same units.

One reason noted was that changes made may have been so miniscule.... such as correcting a spelling error that someone noticed in an obscure error message that popped up in a rare circumstance during use of the product. Something like that, or similar changes that might never be seen or noticed by the end user (and that don't have any affect on any operational or performance aspects of the product) could easily wait for the next public release of firmware to be incorporated in all productions of that model.

There is a similar thread going on right now discussing the very same subject of firmware versions, on the Uniden BC125AT scanner at this link, and I posted some other reasons there that have been mentioned as to why that happens:

elias1988

Feed Provider
I have 2 SDS200s both purchased from Bearcat Warehouse,one is running 1.10.00 2019 unit 1256. 2nd one is running 1.10.07 2019 unit 3255.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I suspect that the most accurate part of the firmware designation is the first two sections, 1.10. The second set of numbers are probably inconsequential. The 1.10.00 is the latest public release. The .07, .08, or other suffixes are simply variations in how the firmware was applied at the manufacturing level, and have no noticeable difference between them and the 1.10.00 public version.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I suspect that the most accurate part of the firmware designation is the first two sections, 1.10. The second set of numbers are probably inconsequential. The 1.10.00 is the latest public release. The .07, .08, or other suffixes are simply variations in how the firmware was applied at the manufacturing level, and have no noticeable difference between them and the 1.10.00 public version.

Weren't those beta test firmware releases in the past...the .02, .03 and so on, while the .00 is the public release? UPMan used to release beta firmware versions for us to experiment with and give feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.