SDS100/SDS200: Uniden SDS100 no reception

Atlanta97

Hello. I recently purchased the sds100. I mainly been using it to listen to Portland (Maine) which is roughly 13 miles north from where I live. The time I’ve had it it’s worked fine on the distance and in fact it was working just last night. This morning I turned it on and the signal bar was tanked on the Portland trunked system. I drove all throughout town holding it on that site that I normally do, only at one intersection was I able to get a signal for a quick second, other than that, absolutely nothing. Like I said I listen to the channel everyday, even while driving about and not much of a signal problem. We do have a blizzard incoming but it’s not due until tomorrow morning. Could it be that or might something be wrong/broken? it’s only a month old (if that). Never dropped or anything. Don’t recall enabling/disabling any settings as of recent

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Do you receive anything else? Try the weather channels. If those do not work then it could be the cold solder joint issue that has been seen in the SDS100 scanners.

K4EET

Chaplain
Who are you trying to listen to? Portland Police? I see where they have an encrypted channel. Being the first weekend of 2024, did the police go full encryption perhaps? Do you receive any noise on the talkgroup(s) that you monitor? If you do, does it sound like static?

Atlanta97

Who are you trying to listen to? Portland Police? I see where they have an encrypted channel. Being the first weekend of 2024, did the police go full encryption perhaps? Do you receive any noise on the talkgroup(s) that you monitor? If you do, does it sound like static?
not just police, I listen to everything on the channel. The trunk group has multiple TGs patch into it. NOTHING comes in as of this morning. I don’t suspect full encryption as my local PD is encrypted and it only mutes the audio. There’s a constant signal bar that shows on the display. That is completely gone. So Police, fire, EMS, public works all that no longer comes in. However, just this one intersection. Elm and south street in my local town I got a signal for like 10 secs with audio then I blanked out again as I drove away. Other systems come in and no there’s no static

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Do a quick search on each frequency (Press Channel soft key, input frequency, press channel again) to determine which control channel is current. If no dice try the remaining frequencies on the system not labeled as a CC to see if one of them switched over

Atlanta97

Do you receive anything else? Try the weather channels. If those do not work then it could be the cold solder joint issue that has been seen in the SDS100 scanners.
Yes. Both digital and analog. Just somehow no signal strength on Portland's P25 system. At the moment it’s only gotten signal and audio at the intersection of Elm and South in my local town …

Atlanta97

Do a quick search on each frequency (Press Channel soft key, input frequency, press channel again) to determine which control channel is current. If no dice try the remaining frequencies on the system not labeled as a CC to see if one of them switched over
What am I looking for? I entered the primary control channel and after hitting the Chanel button again it scanned up to 854.012500 and played static. The freq is not listed on the system

Atlanta97

Hmm, perhaps the site closest to you went down & you're hitting another site at Elm and South?
I have no idea. All I know is I am held on the Portland P25 site. the signal is dead until I hit that intersection. South Portland PD picked up for a few seconds then it tanked again. Portland is 13 miles north and I am located in Biddeford.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I have no idea. All I know is I am held on the Portland P25 site. the signal is dead until I hit that intersection. South Portland PD picked up for a few seconds then it tanked again. Portland is 13 miles north and I am located in Biddeford.
You have either accidently turned on the attenuation, turned the squelching way up, or your antenna has become loose. A few other things could be happening, including the radio itself going bad. Sounds like it's still under warranty so after you check the attenuator, squelch and antenna. It may be time to send to Uniden.

Atlanta97

You have either accidently turned on the attenuation, turned the squelching way up, or your antenna has become loose. A few other things could be happening, including the radio itself going bad. Sounds like it's still under warranty so after you check the attenuator, squelch and antenna. It may be time to send to Uniden.
Bloody hell! Going bad? Already?! It’s not even quite a month old yet! This radio must be trash! Never dropped or anything. Attenuation is off. Squelch is 2 and always has been. Antenna is fine. This is BEYOND absurd if the damn thing is broken.. already….

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
You should be asking about this system in your states forum as something may have changed with the system. Ask users there to confirm normal operations with the system.

beaterbox

Premium Subscriber
I doubt the radio is going bad, it's probably a setting that inadvertently changed. Have you checked to make sure all the service types are still turned on that you want to monitor?

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 3.01.23 PM.png