Uniden SDS100 - ProVoice in Utah

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I have manipulated a couple folks into investing in SDS100's due to the upcoming UCA changes, and they have asked me what accessories/options they should get. I will recommend an extra battery & charger, the DMR option (both people are Ham Radio ops), and the NXDN if they are interested in Business traffic.
Looking up the options, I noticed the "ProVoice" option. My question, is there any/much ProVoice being used in Utah?

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
A quick search of the database shows only 2 remaining EDACS systems in Utah, and neither utilize ProVoice. So, don't buy that upgrade.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
I don't know of any active ProVoice systems in Utah. Enos and I have found that some EDACS systems that seem to be ProVoice capable, but we have never heard ProVoice traffic.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
The Denver electronics and technology system is edacs with a potential (according to dsdplus) of broadcasting provoice on the control channel, but as of yet no traffic. Unitrunker says edacs96, but no traffic...

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
The other edacs is Nevada's system in st george that is active, I'm not sure if its provoice capabile.. but has regular traffic

Signal6

Premium Subscriber
There will be no provoice on the public safety system. All the public safety systems will be phase II P25. Provoice isn’t really utilized here.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
This is all what I had thought.(?) I will let them know to get the DMR option, and let them decide on the NXDN.
Thanks for the input.(y)
--(no more comments needed, thank-you)--

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Nxdn is business and hospitals and some public safety, especially here in carbon and emery county area. But its not statewide. The hospitals mostly are in northern utah that run nxdn such as intermountain health, and university of Utah. Peak and UBET and others are most of the nxdn. Dmr is mostly business and dominion energy, oil wells, and other energy, and is also Geneva rock cement...

Signal6

Premium Subscriber
I would agree, NXDN, and DMR are going to be more useful, Harris doesn’t really have a good grip on Utah. The new statewide system is a Harris system, but that’s only because they are the lowest bidder.

kc7rhw

Premium Subscriber
the only provice that i have ever used was in Albuquerque new mexico for the city fire and pd back when i was driving through that area 6 months ago. I got the provice up grade for my uniden bcd536hp and it work very well.
Due not know if they are still using that system. They was upgrading to a state wide system , and not using provice

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for their input. The radios have been ordered, without the ProVoice option.
Again, thank-you for the input.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Thanks to all for their input. The radios have been ordered, without the ProVoice option.
Again, thank-you for the input.
Hope you didn't order with any option. You can save some money by entering the keys yourself.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Where do "the keys" come from?
They are generated from Uniden. There are two paths: you can purchase yourself, or a reseller can purchase them for you for a fee.

The first is the cheapest:
  1. Once you get your scanner, you register it at my.uniden.com
  2. You purchase the keys ($50 for NXDN and $60 for DMR).
  3. The hexadecimal key will be generated for you immediately
  4. Enter the key from the front panel of the scanner under the menu > Settings > Upgrade
If you have a reseller do it, they tack on $15+ per key to enter it for you. There's nothing magical about entering the key, other than ensuring you enter the dashes with it. It's very simple; paying a 25%+ fee to have someone push a few buttons seems high. However, if someone isn't that savvy, it may be worth it.

The keys are specific to each scanner, so you cannot use one key to upgrade multiple units.

Last edited:

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Bcd436hp bcd536hp bcd325p2 bcd996p2 sds100 sds200 are provoice dmr nxdn capable, with said keys from my.uniden as mentioned, phase 1 and 2 come with no charge.
Home patrols 1 and 2 come with the option for extreme upgrade which just gives u more user options HP1 homepatrol 1 is only a phase 1 scanner, home patrol 2 is a phase 1 and phase 2 scanner no purchase required other than for the extreme upgrade.. the price for those upgrades used to be $99? Not sure now..
The homepatrols don't have nxdn dmr or provoice..

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
They are generated from Uniden. There are two paths: you can purchase yourself, or a reseller can purchase them for you for a fee.

The first is the cheapest:
  1. Once you get your scanner, you register it at my.uniden.com
  2. You purchase the keys ($50 for NXDN and $60 for DMR).
  3. The hexadecimal key will be generated for you immediately
  4. Enter the key from the front panel of the scanner under the menu > Settings > Upgrade
If you have a reseller do it, they tack on $15+ per key to enter it for you. There's nothing magical about entering the key, other than ensuring you enter the dashes with it. It's very simple; paying a 25%+ fee to have someone push a few buttons seems high. However, if someone isn't that savvy, it may be worth it.

The keys are specific to each scanner, so you cannot use one key to upgrade multiple units.
Thanks for the info.