SDS100/SDS200: Uniden SDS100 Receiving issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had just gotten a SDS100 from Zip scanners. I have had issues with the stock antenna, and now just recently, remtronix which claims to bring better reception, although that was not the case in this situation.

I monitor 2 counties for my region, Mainly under this one whole system called LRGVRRS, and Pharr/Edinburg Public Safety in Deep South Texas. I monitor almost all FD's in Hidalgo, and Cameron County, Reception is bad on my scanner. I have tried turning off close call, still no solved issue. I originally had a Whistler WS1040, which had WAY better reception than the SDS100. I'm not that really technical with scanners. I'm just a fire buff trying to find a resolution to reception, Reception is choppy, and all the time misses transmissions from time to time. its extremely rare when transmissions come in fully clear. Anything I can do to help get extremely good reception? Thanks in advance.

LRGVRRS: Lower Rio Grande Valley Regional Radio System (LRGVRRS) Trunking System, Varies, Texas - Scanner Frequencies
Pharr/Edinburg: Pharr/Edinburg Public Safety Trunking System, Pharr & Edinburg, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Do you know anyone who lives close and also has a SDS100? Wondering how another SDS100 compares to yours. From what I gleaned from your post are two things; you are trying to receive two trunked systems and the Whistler does much better. Can we assume both radios were using their stock antennas? If so, Uniden has included filter settings in its programming software that may help. These settings, while they may be helpful, are not necessarily equal among all SDS100’s. You may find what works on one will not work on another. The reasons are numerous, meaning the various filters need to be tried on your radio one at a time. It could take some time, setting one filter, listening to how the radio performs and then moving on to the next. There have been many posts asking which filter works for which type of system and the answer is always “Your results may vary”. So don’t get discouraged getting through the “which filter setting is correct for me?” You also might try posting on the regional board in the forums section on RR.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
It is appreciated that you put down the systems that you listen to. Usually takes a while and a lot of teeth pulling to even get someone to do that. I don't know your area at all, just want to say that as a disclaimer but it doesn't sound like you're out of range or it is a simulcast problem because you say that your fifteen-year-old rebranded twice, with the reputation of not handling simulcast 1040 picks up what you want to hear well.

Filters can help if applied properly and the right real-time reception indicators are used wisely but again if your 1040 is working the SDS should be working great.

Let's start with the basics, are you properly programming with Sentinel. Have you avoided all of those sites except for the ones that are very close to you so that you're only receiving one or two sites? Rolling through all of those sites that you don't need could be a problem. Also are you listening to too many talk groups, we have a saying, the more you scan the less you hear.

As far as the antenna goes, unfortunately the stock antenna is terrible but the remtronix antenna is superior, not supposedly but it is far superior on 800 megahertz whether you use the sds100 water-resistant SMA mount or the BNC with the adapter.

Being that you bought it from zip, did the radio appear to be brand new? Was everything sealed properly, did it appear to be opened already? If they did programming for you then that would be normal otherwise did it look like it was tampered with at all?

I've also noticed on the systems that you indicated you listen to there are quite a lot of designations of DE, or full-time encryption, not every talk group but a number of them, then again you say your 1040 is picking up what you want to hear.

The first thing you want to do is monitor the weather frequencies. Compare reception with your 1040 how's the weather reception compare but it is important that you use the stock antenna to pick up The Weather Channel's as the remtronix does not perform well on VHF High by design.

You are going to want to troubleshoot this within the period of time of your money back guarantee with zip which I assume they have. I do not deal with zip after some personal bad experiences, and other reports in the past.

I'm sure others will chime in with help but it's important that you report back and let us know how the weather frequencies are working using the stock antenna on the 100 compared to the 1040 with a stock antenna also.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I forgot, original poster, if you would please provide your serial number from the radio itself, not from the menu under scanner information but the serial number that is on the exterior of the radio itself and let's see when the radio was manufactured.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Understood Randy, I just like to use the one on the radio itself LOL.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Another thing I forgot original poster. Make sure all your service types are turned on. By default when the radio comes from the factory not all the service types are turned on. Refer to your manual and make sure. That's not going to affect reception that is broken or poor but it will account for not receiving a talk group at all.

That's about all I've got for now till we hear from you. Perhaps others will step in.

Last edited:

Ubbe

Reception is choppy, and all the time misses transmissions from time to time. its extremely rare when transmissions come in fully clear.
First step are to configure the display to show the Noise level and D-error.
Look at those values and the signal strengh value dBm when the reception goes bad and report back.

/Ubbe

paramedic228

Premium Subscriber
I forgot, original poster, if you would please provide your serial number from the radio itself, not from the menu under scanner information but the serial number that is on the exterior of the radio itself and let's see when the radio was manufactured.
If you can tell when the scanner was manufactured from a serial number, what does this one tell you: 383Z18000915 Just curious

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
If you can tell when the scanner was manufactured from a serial number, what does this one tell you: 383Z18000915 Just curious
Well let's see I should probably look this up to make sure but I'm pretty confident that this scanner indicated by the Z was made in 2021 in Vietnam and it was the 915th machine off the line, that number changes back to zero at the beginning of each year. I'm thinking I should look that up to make sure but... I'm sure someone will let me know anyway so why bother. ;)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Oh sorry I forgot the first three numbers indicate the model number and you happen to have a sds100. Sorry I forgot that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.