Uniden SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief5631

I am a brand new police scanner enthusiast and looking to get one of the best on the market. Looks like this might be the SDS100? Question is when I go to purchase it asks me 20 questions about what I want to add, 1 or more counties, various antennas and pgms? I just want to purchase it, turn it on, set my zip code and listen to all police, fire, traffic that my area has to offer? Will this happen or do I have to pay an extra $1k in additional accessories and equip to make this happen?

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Like I have said in another thread, a lot of police/fire/ambulance uses encryption, no scanner will decode that.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
it is if what you want to listen is encrypted. The scanner itself is good but no scanner can decode encrypted traffic. you have to check in the database if the systems you want to monitor are using encryption.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
So it’s a waste purchasing this or any scanner expecting to hear everything?
That depends entirely on where you live and what you want to listen to. What state and city do you live near and what agencies or types of services you want to listen to?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
It depends what systems are in your area, and what you are interested in listening to.

In the broad description you have given of "expecting to hear everything"... the broad answer can only be "no, you won't".

Let us know where your are located, (Country, State, County, and City), as well as what you are specifically interested in monitoring, and we can advise you further.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Buy the scanner, check and update the firmware and frequency database [free], then listen away. Where you live, your listening interests, etc. will determine if upgrades are needed.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thread moved to a more suitable forum. @chief5631, next time, please let us know where you are so people familiar with your area can chime in. You'll get far more intelligent responses than the generic responses you've received up until now.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I am a brand new police scanner enthusiast and looking to get one of the best on the market. Looks like this might be the SDS100? Question is when I go to purchase it asks me 20 questions about what I want to add, 1 or more counties, various antennas and pgms? I just want to purchase it, turn it on, set my zip code and listen to all police, fire, traffic that my area has to offer? Will this happen or do I have to pay an extra $1k in additional accessories and equip to make this happen?
Buy the Scanner, ignore the vendor ploys to get you to buy extras you'll not need.. The free Sentinel Software will enable you to program what you want, Don't pay somebody to do something you'll need to learn to do in the first place..

As for the additional upgrades NXDN/DMR/Provoice, you can buy and install those yourself at a much cheaper price..
And if/when you feel it's needed you can do it anytime..
This is the link to download Sentinel and learn more about the upgrades
You can download Sentinel for free and start practicing/getting used to how it works before you even get the radio..
The SDSx radios use the same program as the x36's don't let that throw you..

ScanningHertz

You'll be able to listen to a lot in the Yuba/Sutter and surrounding areas. (Not Sacramento)
If you're just interested in Police, Sheriff, Fire and EMS, that can easily be monitored.
You can have the vendor program it, which will almost make it turn/on and listen.

Keep in mind, modern scanners are mini computers and in many cases the learning curve is high.
Programming is best accomplished using a computer/software, but is not required.
You will need to learn how to use it, it's nothing like the 70's/80's scanners.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Zip code = 95903
For the immediate area, you don't need anything as elaborate as an SDS-100. But it is the ideal model to monitor something like Sacramento. There will always be stuff we can't monitor, but fortunately so far; most of the stuff in this area we want to hear is available to us.

I personally monitor from Shasta county to the north to Merced county to the south. I am able to do this because I have an antenna system. I say system because it is not just throwing an antenna on the roof and connecting it. There's a lot to consider. I say this because you can own the best radio in the world, but it won't hear more than is at its antenna input. Local signals won't take much, but then you'll want to hear fire traffic at the county line or something like that, and it's the antenna that makes it possible (or not).

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
For the immediate area, you don't need anything as elaborate as an SDS-100. But it is the ideal model to monitor something like Sacramento. There will always be stuff we can't monitor, but fortunately so far; most of the stuff in this area we want to hear is available to us.

I personally monitor from Shasta county to the north to Merced county to the south. I am able to do this because I have an antenna system. I say system because it is not just throwing an antenna on the roof and connecting it. There's a lot to consider. I say this because you can own the best radio in the world, but it won't hear more than is at its antenna input. Local signals won't take much, but then you'll want to hear fire traffic at the county line or something like that, and it's the antenna that makes it possible (or not).
Tell us more and show us some pics of your antenna array.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Tell us more and show us some pics of your antenna array.
No array. Pictures can't really explain all the details.

First is location; especially elevation. Since I am at ~330' above sea level, which is above most terrain around me, I don't need a high mast. My Discone is on a mast of about 15 feet.

I am using an LMR-400 equivalent (Air-802) from the antenna feeding into a filter to remove broadcast radio (AM & FM). That feeds into a Stridsberg Multi-coupler. Each radio is connected to the Multi-coupler via low loss RG-6.

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
No array. Pictures can't really explain all the details.

First is location; especially elevation. Since I am at ~330' above sea level, which is above most terrain around me, I don't need a high mast. My Discone is on a mast of about 15 feet.

I am using an LMR-400 equivalent (Air-802) from the antenna feeding into a filter to remove broadcast radio (AM & FM). That feeds into a Stridsberg Multi-coupler. Each radio is connected to the Multi-coupler via low loss RG-6.
Thanks for the explanation. I am in eastern N.C. so probably near sea level. I have a mast of about 30' tall, with a discone on top. I forget the type of coax but it is very low loss. I think I paid around $100 for 50' a few years ago. That runs into my scanner or SDR's. I need to get a coupler to use the antenna on all my radios at the same time. I'll check out the Stridsberg. Thanks. EDIT: I couldn't stand it. I had to go outside and check my coax. It is LMR-400.

Last edited:

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the explanation. I am in eastern N.C. so probably near sea level. I have a mast of about 30' tall, with a discone on top. I forget the type of coax but it is very low loss. I think I paid around $100 for 50' a few years ago. That runs into my scanner or SDR's. I need to get a coupler to use the antenna on all my radios at the same time. I'll check out the Stridsberg. Thanks. EDIT: I couldn't stand it. I had to go outside and check my coax. It is LMR-400.
Wow!! I just looked at the Stridsberg that you have. Those are high dollar!! I'm sure it is a great one though. Can you recommend a cheaper one, that would get me by?

Ubbe

If you can connect devices together by yourself you can get a product with better specification by buying a $35 low-noise amp and $10 CATV splitter and the necessary coax and connectors and a power adapter or USB 5volt cable. The total gain from antenna to receiver should be around 0-6dB.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.