Uniden SDS200 Stopped Receiving Traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireLt111

Assistant Fire Chief
How many bars of signal? Any improvement if you move the scanner towards a window or exterior wall, preferably towards the direction of closest tower site (if known)
Full bars, when it decides to pickup. We have it near a window. The closet tower is 1 mile from where we are sitting.
Is the cutting in and out at a steady interval or is it random? If steady, what is the timing of the in and out?
it will hold the signal for about 2-5 seconds...perhaps a little longer on occasion.

ka2cdk

Premium Subscriber
Just to be clear, it was working, and then it wasn't?

So either a hardware failure or a user problem (pushed the wrong button).

Since you've replaced the SD card, and have gone through quite a lengthy series of reprogramming steps, I would imagine that any button oopses have been nullified.

Which suggests a hardware issue. Is it dry and carpeted in the news room? Lots of static buildup when you walk around? Did anyone accidentally discharge through the antenna or the back of the cabinet?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
This may have been answered and I missed it, but was the original issue it not receiving anything at all or it would receive for a few seconds then continue scanning?

An instructor told me many years ago "The first place to look for an issue is the last place a human was". I'd suspect "someone" fiddled with it and that's when it starting acting up.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

ka2cdk

Premium Subscriber
There is another thread here on RR which might shed light on this (given the note that VHF is working fine).

Perhaps the front end is overloading on the receiver. If using the stock antenna, try collapsing it down all the way and see if anything changes. Also, try setting the attenuator to ON.

Maybe a cell company just installed a LTE Band 5 unit on that nearby tower.

sds-200-not-recognizing-trunked-system-deaf.387628/

There is another thread here on RR which might shed light on this (given the note that VHF is working fine).

Perhaps the front end is overloading on the receiver. If using the stock antenna, try collapsing it down all the way and see if anything changes. Also, try setting the attenuator to ON.

Maybe a cell company just installed a LTE Band 5 unit on that nearby tower.

sds-200-not-recognizing-trunked-system-deaf.387628/
I'm having a similar problem about a week ago I notice my sds 100 was cutting out every other transmission, but my SDR radios were working fine on op25. I notice the noise floor level on DSD+ FL was jumping up and down. Open sdr sharp to see what was going on I saw 767-768 " I think it's firstnet LTE" coming in real good. I did try all the filters and check out the settings to make sure everything is correct and it was.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Turn the scanner off for a while and let it cool down. If it functions OK when you first turn it on and dies later, you may have a heat related component failure.
Thanks to everyone who took a moment out of their day to assist us!
-Pamela Lee
News & Weather Director
By the way, the weather forecast should say, "There is a 90% chance of rain and a 10% chance I'm right!"

GregOH

Make sure all priority scan and close call modes are turned off, see here for guidance

That's why we're here. Always a pleasure to help our fellow scanning enthusiasts
Couldn't the op try using Close Call or a custom search? I'm thinking try that and if it still receives nothing, consider returning it.
With the site only being a mile away it should have no issue.

FireLt111

Assistant Fire Chief
And no interruptions if you listen to anything else? WX, etc?
Picks up the NWS just fine!

Now an update:

I want to thank everybody who suggested remedies to get this scanner working. On Friday, we sent her out to Uniden America for repair or replacement. I suspect a hardware issue. But we'll see.

I will keep everyone updated. Once a solution is found and corrected...I will let everyone know just in case this happens to someone in the future.

You guys ROCK!

rbritton1201

Captain1201
Don't forget that even if you have certain Favorite's Lists turned on, you may still have to physically go to the radio itself to turn on those individual Favorites Lists or they will not scan.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget that even if you have certain Favorite's Lists turned on, you may still have to physically go to the radio itself to turn on those individual Favorites Lists or they will not scan.

We ran into that problem but was easily resolved. Despite I sent the file with Favorite List 0, the scanner didn't recognize it so a quick tutorial, and it was set. Confirmed by pressing 0 Enter..showed Nothing to Scan, then repeated it and it was scanning again.

My suspicion is this is going to be an antenna connector issue, hopefully fixed and returned in a couple of weeks and it'll be receiving properly.

GregOH

We ran into that problem but was easily resolved. Despite I sent the file with Favorite List 0, the scanner didn't recognize it so a quick tutorial, and it was set. Confirmed by pressing 0 Enter..showed Nothing to Scan, then repeated it and it was scanning again.

My suspicion is this is going to be an antenna connector issue, hopefully fixed and returned in a couple of weeks and it'll be receiving properly.
Weird though because it received WX with no problem. I was wondering if the Database is accurate.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Just a note that gaps can be caused by Channel Priority, Weather Priority, or Close Call. Make sure all of those are turned off if the issue persists when it comes back. (and no, those would not affect the weather channel reception).

As a test, because I think the channel in quesstion (155.670 if I recall) is conventional, try CHANNEL-155.670 CHANNEL just to monitor that one frequency and see if it works.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Just a note that gaps can be caused by Channel Priority, Weather Priority, or Close Call. Make sure all of those are turned off if the issue persists when it comes back. (and no, those would not affect the weather channel reception).

As a test, because I think the channel in quesstion (155.670 if I recall) is conventional, try CHANNEL-155.670 CHANNEL just to monitor that one frequency and see if it works.

I think it was sent to Uniden repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.