uniden sds200 vs. uniden BCD536HP in mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I was looking at the two and was trying to decide which one to put in my truck. My area is a p25 phase 1 statewide system and if I with a GPS if it will auto-sync to scan the repeater sites and talk groups as I go from county to county. This is the network that my state uses and I am in Routt county. State of Colorado DTRS Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies
For your specific county, Routt, there are seven individual sites, none appear to be simulcast. So either scanner should work. However, other sites in your statewide system are simulcast. For any that are simulcast, the SDS200 is the better choice. My SDS200 seems to handle some of the more distant systems (from my home) than the 536HP. Most of the trunked systems here in the DFW area are using simulcast, though some of them are far enough away from me that simulcast is not a major factor. However, if I were to choose only one of the two, it would be the SDS200.

Wtrout

For your specific county, Routt, there are seven individual sites, none appear to be simulcast. So either scanner should work. However, other sites in your statewide system are simulcast. For any that are simulcast, the SDS200 is the better choice. My SDS200 seems to handle some of the more distant systems (from my home) than the 536HP. Most of the trunked systems here in the DFW area are using simulcast, though some of them are far enough away from me that simulcast is not a major factor. However, if I were to choose only one of the two, it would be the SDS200.
OK. But can I hook up a GPS to it to where it will only scan talkgroups and repeater sites for the county and/or city I'm in?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ScannerMaster has them:

Amazon does as well:

Right now, the Amazon price is well above ScannerMaster, but that's one of their 'marketplace' sellers. Amazon itself (look at the list of options on Amazon's page) is about $70, but apparently, out of stock for the next week or more.

Other dealers, such as HRO or Bearcat warehouse, also carry the GPS kit.

bearcat

OK. But can I hook up a GPS to it to where it will only scan talkgroups and repeater sites for the county and/or city I'm in?
The GPS will scan any Departments or Sites that fall within the Range value (distance). So there is not a guarantee that ONLY the County you are in will be scanned. It may scan nearby sites. You can tweak the Range settings for each Department and Site in Sentinel to get much closer to what you are trying to do.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Search "GPS" and "rectangles".....
With some work - and education, it is possible to have the radio switch as you cross a state / county / city / etc. border.
I am set up to listen to every LE agency where ever I am at in 2 states.

Or, with a little tweaking, have it switch a few miles ahead.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I was looking at the two and was trying to decide which one to put in my truck. My area is a p25 phase 1 statewide system and if I with a GPS if it will auto-sync to scan the repeater sites and talk groups as I go from county to county. This is the network that my state uses and I am in Routt county. State of Colorado DTRS Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies
I use an SDS200 and when traveling in my RV (built on a Ford E450 chassis/cab) have it mounted on the knee panel to the left of the steering wheel. I live in Grand Junction and often go over the hills into Denver. Using the GPS, set range at 15 or 20 miles) , it switches perfectly. Obviously, nothing will decode encrypted systems like Denver (and some others on the front range) but all the unencrypted DTRS sites (and convential sites) come in just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.