Uniden Serial Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRFD-118

Does anyone know where on the web or in stores i can find a Uniden Serial Cable for a BCT8 to a computer for a cheap price?

Thanks

garys

Premium Subscriber
It's generic DB9 Male to DB9 Female serial cable. They are often for sale on Ebay for short money. You can also try electronics stores, but they can be pricey.

BRFD-118

I took a closer look at my laptop and realized that this cable wouldn't work. I would need the female side to be a USB connection. Would this work still?

Deeke

I use a cheapo USB to DB9 adapter cord. (they may make just the adapter w/o cord)

Anyway, it was about 1.99 + 1.50 shipping or so. I got mine off ebay.

BRFD-118

One last question it says that the USB to RS232 cable does not supports remote wake up and power management for Windows Vista. Will this be a problem?

Thanks

Deeke

The cable mfg says that or windows?
I don't have vista and really don't know what they mean by pwr mgmt.
If you find one for $5 w shipping and it doesn't work, your out $5 and you may can use the cable elsewhere.
I also use the same adapter cable to tele-port into my tivo's when needed !

BRFD-118

On eBay under the description of the item it states that it is not able to work with vista. But i guess ill give it a try and see how it goes thanks alot for the help!!!

garys

Premium Subscriber
I took a closer look at my laptop and realized that this cable wouldn't work. I would need the female side to be a USB connection. Would this work still?

You'll need a serial to USB adapter. Those are available, again for short money, on Ebay. I like the ones that use a FTDI chip set and that's very common. If the Ebay ad doesn't say what kind of chip set it uses, then email the seller before you buy and ask.

mdel747

i just got one in off ebay 6.50 delivered
it was a rs232/usb works on a bc785d

Window_Seat

Premium Subscriber
Ghost post from the past to go "bump" in the day (from 4 months ago)... Hope I'm not violating any rules by doing that, but I am looking for one of these, and have found a few cables on eBay that are Vista compatible, and they are priced very well. I was this close to buying one custom made for a Dell Laptop with a HD-DB-15 VGA serial port. It was going to cost me almost $30.00 to have made. Unbelievable!

Erik.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
Ghost post from the past to go "bump" in the day (from 4 months ago)... Hope I'm not violating any rules by doing that, but I am looking for one of these, and have found a few cables on eBay that are Vista compatible, and they are priced very well. I was this close to buying one custom made for a Dell Laptop with a HD-DB-15 VGA serial port. It was going to cost me almost $30.00 to have made. Unbelievable!

Erik.

DB-15 VGA is Video - NOT RS232 Serial - two totally different things.

--
Comint

Window_Seat

Premium Subscriber
DB-15 VGA is Video - NOT RS232 Serial - two totally different things.

--
Comint

Yeah, that occurred to me after almost buying the cable.:lol:

I went to Fry's and bought a DB9 Male - USB, and had to install the driver, but it works like a charm (on both my vista & 7 starter).

Erik.

Status
Not open for further replies.