• No

Votes: 42 39.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Tetra does not do simulcasting, which is a disadvantage because of the limited frequency resources in the US. It has some niche uses with transportation facilities and systems, but then there is DMR. OTOH, DMR is not public safety grade, whereas Tetra is PS grade. The "hobbyist" radio market in the US seems to drive Uniden's product development. If enough Tetra systems are installed in the US, then Uniden *might* consider adding the protocol if they can obtain the licensing, and if the royalties are reasonable.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
With absolutely nothing done to the SDS series in over a year, I doubt it would happen anyway.

But I would like to have the capability regardless.

And you can bark that "DMR is not public safety grade" all you want to, but the fact is, there are thousands of DMR systems in use for Public Safety all over the Country, and they are getting along just fine.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
With absolutely nothing done to the SDS series in over a year, I doubt it would happen anyway.

But I would like to have the capability regardless.

And you can bark that "DMR is not public safety grade" all you want to, but the fact is, there are thousands of DMR systems in use for Public Safety all over the Country, and they are getting along just fine.
DMR is not considered public safety grade. There, said / barked it again. It doesn't matter that some vendors sell DMR equipment to some public safety entities.

• Haha
Reactions: RRR

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Just because P25 was named the standard interoperability standard does not make other types public safety grade does it?
DHS agencies won't give you grant money for DMR - there's a reason for that. Industry and government standards groups also see the distinction. I know that in our state, a local radio vendor installed a commercial grade "solution" for a county that never worked well, thanks to the "good old boy" network. It was recently replaced with a P25 network that does work after years of poor performance. It still remains that commercial DMR equipment is not considered PSG by the industry or any major jurisdiction. I get that some entities cannot afford PSG equipment, but that does not mean that selecting DMR equipment to use in a public safety setting makes it PSG. Perhaps the poorest county in our state - and the most mountainous and remote - is migrating to the state's P25 system. The radio infrastructure was built by the state; the subscribers were obtained through various DHS LE and Fire grants; and the county is paying for dispatch consoles , network links, and "renovating" an EOC, for something like $900K for a county of 40K residents. They could not afford to rebuild their own system, but they were able to modernize because of the ability to obtain grants for P25 subscribers and leverage the state's system. Note that Maryland does not charge users to join the state's radio system, unlike some other states.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Sure is some good "Public safety grade" stuff made for MotoTrbo. Thousands and thousands of Public Safety (IE; "Government") DMR systems in use, just take a 'gander through the database here and see. "Public safety grade" is what different agencies make of it. Just because Federal grants may not be let for non-P25 systems, doesn't make DMR / NXDN a poor choice, or "Non public safety grade" to the specific agency.

Public safety IS using DMR, and will for some time now. It works, and doesn't have the inflated pricetag that comes with "P25".

maus92

Premium Subscriber
DHS says:

DMR
DMR is an ETSI radio standard developed in 2005 to address a need in the EU for an affordable, low-complexity digital
radio, predominantly for business applications
. DMR uses a 2-slot TDMA (depicted in the diagram above4) digital
technology in a 12.5 kHz channel width, allowing 2 talk paths with a 6.25 kHz equivalent spectral efficiency when
communicating through the repeater. Because it is digital and TDMA, it provides a variety of features that are not generally
available with analog technology, including messaging, data, improved power performance, and spectral efficiency. DMR
also allows for both Digital and Analog FM operation in the same system, which provides a more graceful transition from a
legacy analog system to a more modern digital system that improves spectrum efficiency and provides a greater feature
set.

NPTSC says:

Nobody is arguing that DMR isn't being used by public safety agencies (although none do in Maryland or the NCR, or any boarding jurisdictions to my knowledge.) And it may be a good enough choice in certain localities. But it doesn't make DMR PSG.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
That is strange P25 is TDMA 2 slot.
That is the thing that makes America great we each are allowed to have our own opinion. This also brings out that only one religious belief is going to get into Heaven and I do not believe that way either.

Reactions: RRR
Status
Not open for further replies.