Uniden the best option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montezuma

After completing a small amount of research on digital scanners, it seems that the majority of my research tells me Uniden scanners are the best option. I am currently using a Radio Shack PRO-164 and I am able to hear my local Police, Fire, EMS, and other departments. I do travel to Atlanta on a semi-regular basis for medical reasons and educational purposes. Since Some departments in that area are going, or are already switched to digital, I would like the option to monitor the open traffic.

The BCD996XT looks to be a good option, and I really like the fact that it can be computer-controlled(I believe I read that on the RR wiki, or somewhere else), and I really like the plethora of options. The only thing that discourages me from that unit is that is it not hand-held.

I would prefer a hand-held scanner, as I tend to be immobile for long period, most of that time in bed or sitting in a recliner. I also travel a minor amount, but not enough to make good use of an installed mobile unit. Of course, if the BCD996XT were relatively easy to switch from home to vehicle and back, then it would make that unit a definite top choice.

If I could find a hand-held unit with many, or most of the options the BCD996XT has, then that would suit my needs. It would be nice to have a hand-held unit that is computer-controlled, since I spend a majority of my downtime either playing games, writing papers for school, or hitting good people, like yourselves, with massive walls of text. Even though I am a Political Science major, I do have a keen interest in electronics, such as computers, RF technology, networking, etc.

Hopefully someone can bear to read through my post and think of a possible unit that will meet most, or all of my needs. I am certainly willing to bend my wishes, to an extent, to find a product that will work.

Thank you and have a Happy New Year!

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
After completing a small amount of research on digital scanners, it seems that the majority of my research tells me Uniden scanners are the best option. I am currently using a Radio Shack PRO-164 and I am able to hear my local Police, Fire, EMS, and other departments. I do travel to Atlanta on a semi-regular basis for medical reasons and educational purposes. Since Some departments in that area are going, or are already switched to digital, I would like the option to monitor the open traffic.

The BCD996XT looks to be a good option, and I really like the fact that it can be computer-controlled(I believe I read that on the RR wiki, or somewhere else), and I really like the plethora of options. The only thing that discourages me from that unit is that is it not hand-held.

I would prefer a hand-held scanner, as I tend to be immobile for long period, most of that time in bed or sitting in a recliner. I also travel a minor amount, but not enough to make good use of an installed mobile unit. Of course, if the BCD996XT were relatively easy to switch from home to vehicle and back, then it would make that unit a definite top choice.

If I could find a hand-held unit with many, or most of the options the BCD996XT has, then that would suit my needs. It would be nice to have a hand-held unit that is computer-controlled, since I spend a majority of my downtime either playing games, writing papers for school, or hitting good people, like yourselves, with massive walls of text. Even though I am a Political Science major, I do have a keen interest in electronics, such as computers, RF technology, networking, etc.

Hopefully someone can bear to read through my post and think of a possible unit that will meet most, or all of my needs. I am certainly willing to bend my wishes, to an extent, to find a product that will work.

Thank you and have a Happy New Year!

If you like the features of the BCD996XT but want a hand held version, get the BCD396XT. They both should have the same options. I have a Radio Shack Pro 96 and a Radio Shack Pro 106. They both work great for me and I program them both with computer software. You might also want to take a look at the GRE PSR 500. It is basically the same thing as the Pro 106 but has the GRE name on it rather than Radio Shack. GRE makes them both.

Hope this helps you and happy scanning!

73's

Chad

W6SDF

AKA Scorch
Let us know when you do get your hands on one, it's fun to watch the udder frustration as you try vainly to get it to work. Just kidding, Sir. Actually we would all be interested to hear of your progress with it and help in any way we can (I'm no expert with it, but many are, just read all the relevent posts!) It is a fairly radical new concept with a fairly steep learning curve, but don't let that deter you as it is well worth the effort!

Regards;

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.