Uniden UBCD396XT nooby to digital needing help transferring from analog

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImC0ld

Because you've clearly missed the point that you don't need serial mode to program any variant of the 436 with ProScan. You won't be able to use any of ProScan's remote control and logging features with your variant, but you can still program it.
Wrong. I cant connect to proscan at all.
So i only have Sentinel to program it.

ImC0ld

I looked up the owners manual for the PT version of the 436 and it turns out it works a little different than the US version as far as connecting it to the computer is concerned. Here is an excerpt from the manual that shows the steps to connect your scanner to your computer and set it to be programed from the computer:

HOWTO INSTALL SENTINEL SOFTWARE: If you have not already installed Sentinel software, follow these procedures.
1.Use the USB cable to connect your scanner to your PC.
2.Press Menu, Select Settings, then select PC Programming Mode. The Unit will reboot and go into PC Programming Mode. If USB cable is not connected a error message appears on the LCD, and the scanner will stay in the menu.
3.PC Programming Mode displays while it is connected to the PC.
4.The microSD card in your scanner will install to your PC like an additional drive.
5.Open the drive folder and Double-click setup.exe in the Setup folder.
6.When installation is complete, Sentinel software is installed on your PC.
7.You can now disconnect the USB cable.
8.Sentinel will automatically notify you if a more recent version is available.

UPDATING FIRMWARE: Your scanner updates its firmware through Sentinel. In that process, Sentinel connects to the internet and checks for the current firmware version to download. From time to time, Uniden will release firmware updates to improve existing functionality, add new features, or address issues found in its operation. Updating the firmware takes just a few minutes and is easily accomplished using the Sentinel Software you installed on your PC. Simply connect your scanner to your PC using the supplied USB cable and press Menu then select PC Programming Mode. Then, in Sentinel select UPDATE/Update Firmware and follow the on-screen prompts. For information about what is included in each update, see: •UBCD436PT - Uniden

UPDATING THE DATABASE:
1.To update the scanner’s database, connect it to your PC using the supplied USB cable. Select Mass Storage.
2.Next, in Sentinel, select UPDATE/Update Master HPDB.
3.Finally, write the new database to your scanner by selecting Scanner/Write to Scanner.

Hopefully this helps you a bit with getting your new scanner setup.
Thanks captain obvious.
Ive already connected it to the pc and sentinel and updated it so way past that huge wasye of space post.

The 436PT can connect to the PC and sentinel can program it. The 436PT cant connect to ProScan.
The 396XT does connect to ProScan.
Different USB csbles but if 1 can connect and 1 cant.

Doesnt matter, none of that helps as i still cant get the channels i want.
How do i hear SES?
I can input and send channels between the 396 and the 436 so i need the new SES channel list for either sentinel or ProScan

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Thanks captain obvious.
Ive already connected it to the pc and sentinel and updated it so way past that huge wasye of space post.

The 436PT can connect to the PC and sentinel can program it. The 436PT cant connect to ProScan.
The procedure for connecting and programming the 436PT from ProScan is exactly the same as doing so from Sentinel, as far as the scanner menu choices and all go. The 396XT uses a RS232 serial connection and the 436 uses USB.

Avguy1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks captain obvious.

The 396XT does connect to ProScan.
Different USB csbles but if 1 can connect and 1 cant.

Doesnt matter, none of that helps as i still cant get the channels i want.
How do i hear SES?
I can input and send channels between the 396 and the 436 so i need the new SES channel list for either sentinel or ProScan

I am sorry, I missed where you said you had updated the firmware on it. I was thinking you had said that you connected the scanner to the computer and nothing happened. That is why I was trying to help you sort that part of it out.

As far as the SES frequencies go, I downloaded the frequency list for you from Radio Reference in both CSV and PDF format. I am not sure that the 396 is capable of tuning these frequencies though.

Attachments

• SES Frequencies.zip
    32.4 KB · Views: 10

ImC0ld

I am sorry, I missed where you said you had updated the firmware on it. I was thinking you had said that you connected the scanner to the computer and nothing happened. That is why I was trying to help you sort that part of it out.

As far as the SES frequencies go, I downloaded the frequency list for you from Radio Reference in both CSV and PDF format. I am not sure that the 396 is capable of tuning these frequencies though.

THANK YOU FOR THIS!
I will check it out and learn the difference between the websites lists and this list and hopefully it gives me the knowledge I've been looking for. :)

IS this right? It says SMR but I cant find SES there? I guess it'll be in there somewhere right?
I'll install it and see what the scanner says.

Last edited:

ImC0ld

been playing with these lists for the last 2 hours. Cant get them into Sentinel or ProScan.
Nothing likes CSV files.
I can copy/paste but what format? P25Trunk? I tried that and get a long list of numbers but thats it. Nothing else is in ProScan.
Absolutely nothing with Sentinel. That hates everything I try.

I tried FreeScan and it wont import the list properly.Keeps asking me for a heading for each column but only lets me choose TGID or Comment. There are 9 frequency columns but freescan only lets you choose 1.There are 2 columns at the start but again can only choose 1, which is the TGID?
Its all too confusing....
Oh, Proscan does that as well. Had some sort of impot from clipboard going but only lets 2 fiends, TGID and Comment so all other columns are ignored.
And when I do get the list in, what about the other settings in the other pages? Whats the other channel frequencies? TGIDs? Settings?

Anyone got this in a Proscan or Sentinel already set up file?

And as you said, both the 398 nad 436 probably cant receive them anyway so am Ireally wasting my time?
I'm slowly learning but getting more confused as well.

EDIT: i did finally get the list into proscan but its given me 10,000 channels so I guess I did something wrong.
SES used to have about 20 channels so 10,000 is just a little too many channels.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
ImC0ld,
What type of scanner are you using so I can do a test import? You mentioned Sentinel which leads me to believe you are using the 436 but you also mentioned Freescan which is for the 396XT and not the 436.

Avguy1

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I went into both FreeScan and Proscan and used the Radio Reference import feature to import the frequencies directly from the RR Database. I have attached the resulting database files for you. In both programs, the database automatically imported as a Motorolla database because the scanner is not capable of receiving the particular trucked radio system that SES is using. The FreeScan database also contains the Analog frequencies for SES that RR has listed as well. Those should work in your equipment. For some reason, Proscan would not show me the analog frequencies in the RR import function. Anyway, have fun and see what you can do with this.

Attachments

• Scanner Data Files.zip
    15.4 KB · Views: 6

Avguy1

Premium Subscriber

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

ImC0ld

Ok, I went into both FreeScan and Proscan and used the Radio Reference import feature to import the frequencies directly from the RR Database. I have attached the resulting database files for you. In both programs, the database automatically imported as a Motorolla database because the scanner is not capable of receiving the particular trucked radio system that SES is using. The FreeScan database also contains the Analog frequencies for SES that RR has listed as well. Those should work in your equipment. For some reason, Proscan would not show me the analog frequencies in the RR import function. Anyway, have fun and see what you can do with this.
THANKS for this. Now I can compare the programs with the CSV and website to get an understanding of what goes where.
This is exactly what I've been after.
ProScan can export to HPE so easily send it to Sentinel. :)
The Proscan file is being send to the 396XT now.

Still, both scanners the 396XT and 436PT do the exact same thing just the 436PT feels fat and cheap to me thats why I'm going to stop using it and sell it instead.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
ProScan can send programming directly to the 436 without going through Sentinel. And the 436 will do a lot of stuff the 396 won't.

ImC0ld

ProScan can send programming directly to the 436 without going through Sentinel. And the 436 will do a lot of stuff the 396 won't.

Well so far with my experience the 396xt can do everything the 436pt can do and a hrll of a lot more.
Go read the other 2 pages then come back and tell me what can the 436pt do the 396xt cant?

For me the 436pt CANT, connect to ProScan, connect to my cars head unit, hear anything the 396xt cant, look as good as the 396xt.
The only thing it CAN do is be programmed in 5 seconds where the 396xt takes about 20 mins.
I can see the 396xts screen, have lots of trouble seeing the 436pt screen (eyesight problems)
The 436pt is more complicated for no good reason, the 396xt is easier to understand.
The 436pt is lame grey LCD screen and 1 led light. The 396xt is a colored screen (kinda).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Well so far with my experience the 396xt can do everything the 436pt can do and a hrll of a lot more.
Go read the other 2 pages then come back and tell me what can the 436pt do the 396xt cant?

I don't need to re-read anything, I've been a 436 owner for years, not days, and most of what you've written here is simply incorrect.

Yes, you can program the 436 directly with ProScan. You don't "connect" ProScan to the scanner to program, you simply put the 436 in Mass Storage mode, so that the SD card shows up in the list of drives on your computer (e.g. drive F), and then point ProScan at that drive while it's in 436 mode. You don't need the serial mode remote control/logging function active to program the 436; the even if the OZ version of the 436 had the serial mode, the 436 can't do serial and mass storage at the same time anyway.

The 436 can be programmed with every licensed radio system in Australia, and when connected to a GPS, it will automatically scan only nearby frequencies and channels. And if you're traveling, the 436 will automatically turn on new stuff as it comes in range, and turn off old stuff as it goes out of range. That's probably what ProScan was trying to do when it downloaded the 10,000-channels you deleted--program your 436 with everything listed in the RadioReference database for Australia, so you could go anywhere in Australia and listen to local traffic as you go. The 436 can handle that with ease; the US version comes with everything in the USA and Canada programmed into it by default, which is a far larger number of channels than what's in Australia. The 396 doesn't have enough memory to do that.

ImC0ld

Ok, I tried connecting the 436PT to Proscan like you said and its missing all my extra channels. All that show up in ProScan are the firmware added channels.
I've added 2 more favorites and they show up in Sentinel, they show up on the scanner but dont show up in ProScan so again NO ProScan is not an option for me.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Anything you add to the scanner in Sentinel will not automatically show up in ProScan. You have to read the contents of the scanner into Proscan first.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It should be noted that ProScan doesn't officially support the UBCDx36PT models. No effort was ever done in this area mainly because the UBCDx36PT doesn't have a Serial Port mode so didn't want to do it just partially.

Can you see if changing the ProScan scanner type to UBCD3600XLT works?

ImC0ld

Anything you add to the scanner in Sentinel will not automatically show up in ProScan. You have to read the contents of the scanner into Proscan first.
Like isaid I added the 436PT to ProScan like you said and its missing the extra channels. I"VE NEVER DONE IT BEFORE, THIS IS THE FIRST TIME. so Everything thats in the scanner and working SHOULD be in ProScan but its NOT. ONLY the firmware added channels show up. ALL extra channels I added via Sentinel ARE MISSING.
I did it twice and they are still missing.

Like ProScan said the 436PT (Aus model) is NOT supported in ProScan so it WONT WORK like you are claiming.

If I export to HPE file and import to Sentinel I can send channels between the two scanners. I can also import from Sentinel to Proscan, THATS how I know the 396XT can hear everything the 436PT can. They now both have the same channels and both hear all the channels. Well, except the 436PT cant hear any of the train channels where the 396XT does even that they are a digital squeal it still registers a signal, the 436PT doesn't think that channel is in operation so its missing stuff.

Anyone want a 436PT? Its in ebay. WAS brand new, took out of box, upgraded firmware, tried it out, it failed to be better than the 396XT so its getting sold to whoever wants it.
Will be back in box as new condition. I haven't opened any of the extras (except batteries) so its all new still in their original packagings

ImC0ld

None of those channels hear anything. Either its a really quiet day or the scanner just wont hear any of those channels..
At least I have them now and it will help me learn how to program this scanner (396XT)

Thats just stupid in my opinion, why would SES need to be so locked down in their frequencies? At least the cops do have a few open channels and the MFB/CFA and Ambos are not encrypted so they can be heard but SES? They go off the grid completely.
Is their way better than CFA/Ambos? Do they need to be more secretive? Is there a good reason why they are now so hard to hear?

20 years ago, I used to love sitting down on a Friday night and hear the stabbings at Frankston. Or the car chases down the freeways. The most interesting thing I heard live was that police shooting in Box Hill. Turned into one of those Aus most wanted tv shows. I still remember that, the first call to the chase though the city that ended in Carlton.
Now with encryption and stupid digital its all gone. No longer can the public help find missing kids as we cant hear the calls go out, we now have no idea whats going on out there.

I think people have gained the "**** everyone" attitude. No longer do people help or give a ****.
Oh, not here, I appreciate the help I got, thanks a lot for it. Its out there, in public I'm talking about. Go watch some dashcam footage. You will see car accidents and nobody stops. There are more abuse videos than helping videos. Its a cruel world be live in now.

(Admin, thread can be closed. I got the help I asked for, no need to keep it going)

Status
Not open for further replies.