Uniden UBCD396XT nooby to digital needing help transferring from analog

Status
Not open for further replies.

questnz

Friend you are going round and round. NEW 436PT scanner should come with pre programed AUS frequencies, you buy from EBAY ,
what actually the seller advertised new scanner or used, and why the frequencies been deleted or not supplied with the scanner? Can you contact him and ask where is the data suppose to come with the scanner. Also as I suggested to you before, you need to get in touch with someone in Oz to help you, it will be simple if someone just copy original or current updated frequencies to your SD card. It should be legal as frequencies should be in your scanner in first place. There many videos on youtube on the subject. You can be in business very quickly, then you can learn other stuff as you go. Good luck. Chris

Ps Ebay seller was a shop you have some protection under your Consumer Protection Right are you? go back and kick ar*e

ImC0ld

Yea I got the Aus version of Sentinel and its still only got USA and Canada database.
The Australian files on RR are locked behind a paywall.
So everyone in USA and Canada get their channels handed to them for free but us in Australia have to pay extra to unlock them from RR then download many seperate CSV files, then go from 1 app to another to convert then when its all finally done and in Sentinel we can finally sync with the scanner.
Again Aussies get screwed bigtime.

WHY are the files locked behind a paywall for Aussies where USA/Canada aren't? Does RR love to rip off Aussies? WHY is it so hard for us to program our scanners?
I dont understand why there is a AUS version of Sentinel with USA/Canada database??? Shouldn't that be the Aus database? Would make more sense if it was.
There is an Aus version of the scanner, Aus version of the software but not an Aus version of a database? Makes no sense to me.
I guess RR lives of the money Aussies pay them to access what the USA/Canada get for free.

ImC0ld

Oh, about my scanner. Yea it was from ebay but it is brand new, never opened never used. It was a deceased estate they wanted to sell. Their dad brought it then died before it arrived so its brand new.
When I opened the box and turned it on there was no channels. I had to update the firmware and got the CFA channels. Still missing everything else but its got CFA.

ImC0ld

And ARC536 is no good as its a paid software. Not everyone is made of money and can afford things. Took me 6 months to save up for the radio, I'm not going to save up another few months for software where Sentinel is free.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
ProScan can download stuff from RR and program the x36 models. Easier than jamming everything by hand...

questnz

Friend, this how it is. A number of corrections for you. I can feel your frustration but: This web site is mainly geared up for US versions of scanners and support mainly for US scanners. You need to take your frustration to Uniden Australia. However, you get plenty of support and advice here from thousands of very knowledgeable members on this forum.
RR is run by the volunteers' nobody making money from you or me. If you want access to paid stuff you pay, even just for 6 months to sort your scanner and then you away. You come to this forum in the first place as this is the best and most credible source of information on Earth for ALL radio stuff, not only scanners. Don't underestimate common knowledge of all members, we all learn a lot here just by reading many posts on many subjects. As I already suggested to you twice, contact someone in OZ closer to home. They will have up to date info and database settings for you. US-based members don't because they don't need Ozzie frequencies unless they travel there for a holiday or work.
Australian database may be out of date, but it is updated by Australian members, also volunteers, so if they don't update the RR database it is outdated. So is many other Countries, I travel frequently but only get some stuff from RR otherwise I contact local radio shops if I stay there long enough. Otherwise, I am scouting for xyz country interesting frequencies before departure. I do the same when attending Air Shows. Search many attending Team frequencies before I depart. All my collected frequencies are in spreadsheet form, then when i need just cut and paste and tide up the missing bits. There is a steep learning curve on all modern radios as they are more and more complex. So spend some time on the basics first. Battle on, and enjoy your new hobby. Chris

Yea I got the Aus version of Sentinel and its still only got USA and Canada database.
So everyone in USA and Canada get their channels handed to them for free but us in Australia have to pay extra to unlock them from RR then download many seperate CSV files, then go from 1 app to another to convert then when its all finally done and in Sentinel we can finally sync with the scanner.

WHY are the files locked behind a paywall for Aussies where USA/Canada aren't? Does RR love to rip off Aussies? WHY is it so hard for us to program our scanners?
I dont understand why there is a AUS version of Sentinel with USA/Canada database??? Shouldn't that be the Aus database? Would make more sense if it was.
There is an Aus version of the scanner, Aus version of the software but not an Aus version of a database? Makes no sense to me.
I guess RR lives of the money Aussies pay them to access what the USA/Canada get for free.

maus92

Premium Subscriber

Take your complaints to Uniden Australia or Uniden Japan - Uniden US made a deal with RR. BTW, you seem a bit difficult to work with, and mentioned you were banned? I'd suggest an attitude adjustment. Could be helpful. Anyway, Sentinel will accept entries made manually if you take the time to do it. Not optimal, but doable.

Last edited:

ImC0ld

Can proscan do that? I cant connect the 436pt to proscan. I tried but how?
I have the 396 connected abdnd works in proscan.
I use the 436pt, USB cable and nothing happens in proscan.
I use the 396 cable and again nothing happens.

I guess im doing something wrong but cant work out how to connect the 436pt to proscan. I did a search on proscans website and found nothing about the 436.
I did get something saying about a usb driver but as thr 396 is working i thought the usb driver is already installed. I cant find the questioned usb drivers anyway so unsure whats going on there.

So is proscan better for the 436 than sentinel?

ImC0ld

And everyone else, this is the uniden help forum, im asking for help with uniden products so whats your problem?

questnz

Did you read the manual from my first link? I don't have 436 but on 396XT i use to have I always check com port setting first. Make sure that your Windows is actually recognizing Com Port your scanner is on. there should be setting on Scanner software you are using on 436 to select Com port. Have a look in the Windows /control panel system/device manager do you have any exclamation marks under com ports and or USB devices? You cant do nothing unless software communicating with the scanner.
And be nice to people despite your frustration, no derogatory remarks from now on or you ON YOUR OWN for good

This is a voluntary help from members if you want paid to support you go to Uniden in Oz. But II already know you get nowhere. Different members living in different time zones so they can choose a reply or not at different times. Programming Software choice is yours, different things for different people. I don't think there is the better or best software for anything, personal preference.
Differentiate Uniden products from Uniden product usage, two different things. Uniden doesn't provide training. Did you actually check Youtube for 436 scanners, it pays you to do it first. There may be something you learn before post another question
Start here again Uniden 436 and Sentinel 436 manuals on the left Mark's Scanners

Last edited:

ImC0ld

Ive messaged ozscan and no reply. So yea ive asked for help.
And when have i been derogatory?
Ive asked for help and others are telling me to go elsewhere. Its not me starting anything.
If they dont like what i say they dont have to reply. I said before im autistic and frustrated as i did ask for help here when i first got the 396 and got abused and banned.
Now i got the 436 and ive not said a baf word but again im getting abused and told to go elsewhere.
But i cant go elsewhere as this is where the scanner sends me. It talls me to go to RR and pay but USA/cananda get all the sypport for free so why cant aussies?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Can proscan do that? I cant connect the 436pt to proscan. I tried but how?
I have the 396 connected abdnd works in proscan.
I use the 436pt, USB cable and nothing happens in proscan.
I use the 396 cable and again nothing happens.

I guess im doing something wrong but cant work out how to connect the 436pt to proscan. I did a search on proscans website and found nothing about the 436.
I did get something saying about a usb driver but as thr 396 is working i thought the usb driver is already installed. I cant find the questioned usb drivers anyway so unsure whats going on there.

So is proscan better for the 436 than sentinel?
Put the 436 in Mass Storage mode so you can use ProScan to read and write the Favorites to the scanner.
I don't believe the UBCD436-PT supports the Serial Port mode so no serial port driver is needed.

Sentinel is needed to update the scanner firmware and update the HPDB.
ProScan has extra capabilities that I don't believe Sentinel has such as:
  • Multiple Favorites on the same tree which makes it easy to Copy & Paste and Drag & Drop systems
  • Find Duplicates
  • Find & Replace
  • Import directly from RRDB. RadioReference subscription required
  • Import Win Clipboard or from a RR web page. No RadioReference subscription required
  • Versatile Sorting options
  • Google Maps showing all the systems with circles or rectangles
  • Export nicely formatted web page showing any or all (user selectable) the FQK's, SQK's, Number Tags, and systems
  • Copy & Paste and Drag & Drop nodes to other systems and other ProScan instances
  • SDS200 FTP Read & Write using the Ethernet connection

ImC0ld

i tried connecting the 436pt to proscan but nope, it wont connect. it doesnt have serial mode and doesnt have aus database so ive given up on this useless device. its now on ebay if anyone wants it.
i did get the CFA channels that came with the firmware to transfer to the 396XT so the only thing that made the 436pt likeable is now on the 396xt so no need for me to keep it.
i have bad eyesight and couldnt read the screen anyway.

ive given up asking for help. now back with the 396xt which works with proscan, the headunit in the car, and everything i listen to works on it except for the SES as they are digital and still cant find any links to them. either i type them in or get a file and copy it over. doesnt matter, at least im not getting ripped off with the 436pt.

ImC0ld

so, back to the reason why im here. need help with lists and how to program the 396xt.
ive seen the lists here but dont know how to install them into the scanner? there are some channels with multiple frequencies then there are lists with talkgroups and lists with channels, ids, numbers.... as there are multiple ways to set them up im unsure even where to start.
the lists need more info. so a list with talkgroups is p25 or trunking?

the very first thing when trying to add channels is what format? what goes where?

is there a page here which explains how to get from the list into the software?

if i knew where to put what i can just copy/paste and do it myself but i cant find any page telling me anything.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You don't program the 436 in serial mode, you program it in mass storage mode. That's why you're unable to connect to ProScan.

ImC0ld

If youve read anything here you would know ive already said many times its the aus model PT and it doesnt have serial mode anyway so why state whats already said and the obvious?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If youve read anything here you would know ive already said many times its the aus model PT and it doesnt have serial mode anyway so why state whats already said and the obvious?
Because you've clearly missed the point that you don't need serial mode to program any variant of the 436 with ProScan. You won't be able to use any of ProScan's remote control and logging features with your variant, but you can still program it.

Avguy1

Premium Subscriber
I looked up the owners manual for the PT version of the 436 and it turns out it works a little different than the US version as far as connecting it to the computer is concerned. Here is an excerpt from the manual that shows the steps to connect your scanner to your computer and set it to be programed from the computer:

HOWTO INSTALL SENTINEL SOFTWARE: If you have not already installed Sentinel software, follow these procedures.
1.Use the USB cable to connect your scanner to your PC.
2.Press Menu, Select Settings, then select PC Programming Mode. The Unit will reboot and go into PC Programming Mode. If USB cable is not connected a error message appears on the LCD, and the scanner will stay in the menu.
3.PC Programming Mode displays while it is connected to the PC.
4.The microSD card in your scanner will install to your PC like an additional drive.
5.Open the drive folder and Double-click setup.exe in the Setup folder.
6.When installation is complete, Sentinel software is installed on your PC.
7.You can now disconnect the USB cable.
8.Sentinel will automatically notify you if a more recent version is available.

UPDATING FIRMWARE: Your scanner updates its firmware through Sentinel. In that process, Sentinel connects to the internet and checks for the current firmware version to download. From time to time, Uniden will release firmware updates to improve existing functionality, add new features, or address issues found in its operation. Updating the firmware takes just a few minutes and is easily accomplished using the Sentinel Software you installed on your PC. Simply connect your scanner to your PC using the supplied USB cable and press Menu then select PC Programming Mode. Then, in Sentinel select UPDATE/Update Firmware and follow the on-screen prompts. For information about what is included in each update, see: •UBCD436PT - Uniden

UPDATING THE DATABASE:
1.To update the scanner’s database, connect it to your PC using the supplied USB cable. Select Mass Storage.
2.Next, in Sentinel, select UPDATE/Update Master HPDB.
3.Finally, write the new database to your scanner by selecting Scanner/Write to Scanner.

Hopefully this helps you a bit with getting your new scanner setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.