Uniden Update and Loudoun's TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamleff

On my BCD396T I upgrade the firmware a few weeks ago, and found that reception of Loudoun's TRS is actually worse than before. :( Most transmissions are choppy at best.

At my desk here at work close to the Dulles Airport, I have a BC250D (with the radio shack 800 Mhz antenna) and the 396 sitting right next to each other. On-screen meter shows consistently strong signal. Trying four different antennae on the 396, the 250 still receives more than the 396 does. Tried tweaking P25 decode levels to no avail. Reception at home in Ashburn is not very different.

Anyone with a 396 experience the same? What do you folks have your decode levels set to? Any suggestions?

jerk

adamleff said:
On my BCD396T I upgrade the firmware a few weeks ago, and found that reception of Loudoun's TRS is actually worse than before. :( Most transmissions are choppy at best.

At my desk here at work close to the Dulles Airport, I have a BC250D (with the radio shack 800 Mhz antenna) and the 396 sitting right next to each other. On-screen meter shows consistently strong signal. Trying four different antennae on the 396, the 250 still receives more than the 396 does. Tried tweaking P25 decode levels to no avail. Reception at home in Ashburn is not very different.

Anyone with a 396 experience the same? What do you folks have your decode levels set to? Any suggestions?
Contact Upman, see the upgrade thread in the Uniden forum.
I have other suggestions but they don't go over well with Uniden lovers. So contact Upman, others have had this problem in other areas and he has a temp fix for the time being.

rfburns

adamleff said:
On the 996 using V 2.01.01 most of my NOVA & Montgomery Co simulcast systems are set to 11 or 12, but it doesn't help much. The radio will at least stop on a simulcast system with 2.01.01, but the motorboating is still quite bad. If you can move a radio or the external antenna to where you can receive one site much stronger than the others that helps. I think Uniden still has a lot of work to do with simulcast systems. My GRE's do much better on simulcast systems.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
adamleff said:

yep, I have noticed the same thing. while at work, its fine but then again it's crystal clear there with no antenna.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
UPMan has established a Yahoo group called, I believe, unidenflash, to report problems like these.

73 Mike

freqhopping

I hadn't done any comparisons before this, but I've found that I'm missing beginnings of transmissions and any time a unit gives a quick 10-4 or short transmission.

This occurs with both my 396 and 996. My 250D is flawless. Signal strength is not an issue, 5 bars even without an antenna.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
After adjusting the P25 setting to 12, it seems to have helped. I'll see tonight on the way home. This morning on RT7 about Round Hill, it sounded a lot better which is where it is usually the worst for me.

As a side note, at my desk at work I could barely receive the Fairfax Co. TRS (due to the building), but now with the new firmware I am able to receive it would out any issue or adjustment. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.