Uniden Updates/ STARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I see where Uniden has released their updates. Has anyone downloaded them yet and tried out STARS. Hopefully it works well for everyone w/ a 396 or 996.

dtscho

Database Admin
As far as I can tell, the 396 is getting all STARS transmissions now. Huge improvement. This is the Thornburg site.

I haven't compared it to the PSR-500 side-by-side yet.

I also haven't upgraded the firmware on the 996 yet.

Dave

freqhopping

I've upgraded both my 396 and 996. I did the 396 first and with a side by side comparison it was receiving more than the 996. Sometimes the 996 wouldn't even stop on a channel. Other times it would stop but there was no audio. I listen to the Fork Mtn site. It seems much more active now. I'm too far away to make a direct comparison to Div 1 analog to know if I'm missing anything.

N4FTN

Premium Subscriber
Completed the upgrade on my 396T with no problems. The process is a little unusual but with a little diligence and careful reading of the instructions; I had no problems.

I'm in Chesapeake..... Digital Audio on PD Ches improved and seems to have removed the occasional digital bursts that were prevalent. Listening to STARS for the past hour comparing to analog on 159.135; reception has been flawless.

I would say, thusfar, definite improvement!!

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Downloaded and uploaded the latest firmware.

STARS does seem to be coming in better. I haven't tried too many other systems just yet, but I'll comment as I do.

Next test is to see how it does on Langley's next 'exercise' sometime this month. As I'm subbing for a guy who gets pulled for every exercise next week, I'd bet it's then.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Took the 396 for a ride right next to the 500, both set to search the STARs channels. The 500 was picking things up a bit quicker than the 396, but the 396 is still doing better with STARS than previously.

I really need to run this test with the same antenna on each radio. The 396 antenna is not an ideal VHF antenna.

richardbritt

Database Admin
Anyone know where I can get a good price on a BCD396T? I have 2 2096 scanners and live in Chesapeake and want to get better reception of 5th Division since the software upgrade is getting good reviews from Chesapeake now. Thanks

Richard W4MCD in Chesapeake

Status
Not open for further replies.