Uniden - UPMan, time to give it up !

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindsay34654

UpMan

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boy's and Girls. Do not blame Up Man remember where the product was made.

I do not care what you buy car, boat, plane, train, or for you hard heads, anything form Rat Shack, the product was new, Many thing new has flaws, hell I have a new ford that has spent time in the shop then on the road for the same issue.

Most of you kept pressing for the radios to come out before it's time, even went and ordered early so you could be the first.

When something is new you do not rush out and get on right away, for some of you look at your first marriage and what happened with that. You liked what you heard about until you bought the product ( married then found out it was not all that it was cracked up to be or there was defects. NO RADIO is going to be everything you want it to be.

Give them time to asses all the issues get back with the MANUFACTOR in one case Viet Nam, remember the country that did not want Americans there in the first place who makes one of the radios. and fix the issue. and for those that think WHISTLER is going to be the end all to be the next thing to God think again.

There will be big issues and all this will start over again.

Support Up Man instead of tearing him down the man is good at what he does at least he did not run like some other company I will not mention. And the next time a new toy comes out THINK before you act

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Everyone has an opinion. For those who are happy with their radios, it complaining and whining. For those who feel their purchase is not up to their standard (like hearing actual traffic reliably) its frustrating. I would not want to be in Uniden/UPMan shoes at this point.

They will have to make a decision as to 1) suspend sales/shipping to get the situation under control, or 2) just continue fixing things on the fly.

Reporting a problem = not whining.
Complaining ad nauseum that there's still a problem instead of waiting patiently for it to be fixed = whining.

It's not an opinion. It's fact. I have 4 children. I think I know whining when I hear it, because I've been listening to my kids do it for nearly 20 years (my oldest just started college last week).

I reiterate: The problems will be fixed. I suggest we keep reporting any new ones we find. Other than that, threads like this (whining that there's still problems that need fixing) are pointless wastes of time. I'll heed my own advice and stop wasting MY time in THIS thread. If there are any mods on here they ought to lock this turkey or better yet delete it altogether. (<--Now THAT is my opinion.)

-AZ

whsbuss

Reporting a problem = not whining.
Complaining ad nauseum that there's still a problem instead of waiting patiently for it to be fixed = whining.

It's not an opinion. It's fact. I have 4 children. I think I know whining when I hear it, because I've been listening to my kids do it for nearly 20 years (my oldest just started college last week).

I reiterate: The problems will be fixed. I suggest we keep reporting any new ones we find. Other than that, threads like this (whining that there's still problems that need fixing) are pointless wastes of time. I'll heed my own advice and stop wasting MY time in THIS thread. If there are any mods on here they ought to lock this turkey or better yet delete it altogether. (<--Now THAT is my opinion.)

-AZ

Thank you for your comments. As I said we all have our opinions. Why do we need to have every thread shut down because some disagree with others? The issues posted in this and other threads show there are indeed problems. IMO I really hope Uniden can fix these issues; I want to re-purchase one. No one is being nasty here, just stating issues and commenting on them.

As far as waiting patiently for fixes, I think we can all agree that's what we eventually want.

rocksteady

I regret selling my 800 and I do like the 800 better. I am glad that the 436 doesn't have the hardware issues.

Sent from my tricked out Droid4!

reconrider8

im not saying to much but you learn not to buy something right as it comes out because beta testing can only do so much on so many different systems. the real tests start when it gets out in the real world and thats a true beta test right there for ya. but upman being quiet maybe hes busy passing on the info from here to his techies

elias1988

Feed Provider
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B651 Safari/9537.53)

Salvation said:
I can't get P25 from my local PD any longer since the latest firmware upgrade. Wont work in NFM or FM mode at all. I have fallen back to my Pro-197 for scanning my P25 channels.. I hope they have a fix soon.

What happens when you have the NAC programmed? I have no issues with P25 conventional (Berkeley and Lakewood Township PD) with the latest firmware.

Essexscan

I think what we/RR admins/UpMan should do is make a sticky/poll of what the actual problems/concerns are and we could vote or short reply to try to narrow down the actual problems and then see if the Firmware fixes them.

Another idea is to maybe start a new thread with the reported problem as the title and people short reply to it to confirm they are experiencing it, no other comments allowed to keep the thread on track

It would definitely help to see what's working and what isn't and keep the complaints/ reports in one place and to restore some order to the process

Anyone think this would help?

Salvation

What happens when you have the NAC programmed? I have no issues with P25 conventional (Berkeley and Lakewood Township PD) with the latest firmware.

You can only program NAC when in Digital mode and I get no traffic at all when I do program it in. As if there was no transmission over the frequency.. Even when I "Hold" on the frequency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
You can only program NAC when in Digital mode and I get no traffic at all when I do program it in. As if there was no transmission over the frequency.. Even when I "Hold" on the frequency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn the squelch all the way to 0 while holding on the channel. Ive seen reports that even on 2, the squelch was blocking full signal strength traffic.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Thank you for your comments. As I said we all have our opinions. Why do we need to have every thread shut down because some disagree with others? The issues posted in this and other threads show there are indeed problems. IMO I really hope Uniden can fix these issues; I want to re-purchase one. No one is being nasty here, just stating issues and commenting on them.

I said I wouldn't waste any more time on this thread, but putting words in my mouth don't fly with me.

For the record: I NEVER said that every thread should be shut down becasue some disagree with others. What I said was threads like this one, which started out basically telling both Paul and Uniden that they suck and should quit making scanners, don't do anyone any good. What I contend that they do is clog up the forum to the point where the real bug reports and solutions get buried amongst all the noise.

And if I may make one more suggestion: ENOUGH with "Paul sure is silent... yep, he don't care, he hasn't said a word, wonk, wonk, wonk" nonsense. I'll type this slowly so everyone can understand: HE WILL SAY SOMETHING WHEN HE HAS SOMETHING OF VALUE TO SAY. If anyone here should take a page from Paul's playbook it's the "Paul sure is quiet" crowd, who should follow his example.

NOW I'm done wasting my time in this thread. Good grief.

-AZ

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Vote with your wallet. Why should they fix anything? These are flying off the shelves. Why aren't people returning these until these issues are corrected? If you bought a tv and it didn't perform to the point that you had to turn your old tv back on to watch the channels you want to watch, I doubt you would just keep it. No you would return it. Why is this scanner any different? I get that there isn't really much other choice for TDMA in this market just yet, but why the loyalty? I for one do not have 600.00 to blow "hoping" it will work. I want a 436 bad, but if it doesn't perform as it should , then there is no point buying it.

Companies are profit based, if these things are returned they either will realize they can't beta test on consumers and fix the issues, or they will go away.

I just don't get why scanners are treated any different from any other consumer electronics.

+10 to this. Don't buy their garbage. I don't and won't, until they have a product that meets MY needs.

People need to stop buying this overpriced crap that doesn't work. when they realize their product sucks, they will either improve it or drop the product line or even go out of business.

I don't see them doing that with scanners, plenty of people are suckers for crap. Go hang out at Best Buy and see what I mean. They remind me of the guy in this video:

http://www.theonion.com/video/sony-releases-new-stupid-piece-of-****-that-doesnt,14309/

yaesumofo

Vote with your wallet. Why should they fix anything? These are flying off the shelves. Why aren't people returning these until these issues are corrected? If you bought a tv and it didn't perform to the point that you had to turn your old tv back on to watch the channels you want to watch, I doubt you would just keep it. No you would return it. Why is this scanner any different? I get that there isn't really much other choice for TDMA in this market just yet, but why the loyalty? I for one do not have 600.00 to blow "hoping" it will work. I want a 436 bad, but if it doesn't perform as it should , then there is no point buying it.

Companies are profit based, if these things are returned they either will realize they can't beta test on consumers and fix the issues, or they will go away.

I just don't get why scanners are treated any different from any other consumer electronics.

How do you know they are "flying off the shelves"?

The sales numbers are no where near where you might THINK they are.

Example.
Two weeks into the release UNIDEN stopped shipments of radios.
The serial numbers up to that point was around 2600 (this is the top number of defective radios (headphone defect)
in the first two weeks? In theory this would be a very strong sales period. 2600 units. 2600 is a very small number when it comes to retail sales of ANYTHING!!! Yes 2600 is a SMALL number and certainly does not indicate that they are flying off the shelves.

Uniden high end scanner sales are not huge.
there is a lot of r and D that goes into radios. I have no doubt that as time marches on we will see improvements.
All that said. I have one of each and they work fine here in SO CAL. the hand hels is so sensitive I use it all over the city of LA monitoring the LAPD with a TINY 3 inch flexable wire antenna (I borrowed it from a lectrosonic wireless transmitter) and i hear way more than I need to, the local simplex operations are tough to monitor but anything going through a repeater is very good sounding. The LAPD is a wide area non trunked apco 25 system.
The La county sheriff is another dept that is received very well on both the 436 and 536.

One of these days I will set up 996 and 536 side by side. I suspect that the receivers are virtually identical.

Who knows?
Maybe they will tell us.

Yaesumofo

Status
Not open for further replies.