Uniden - UPMan, time to give it up !

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Uniden -UPMan

It's pretty clear that the 536HP has major design issues,hardware and firmware. You limit the functionality of your Sentinel Software to where it's almost required to buy Butel's ARC536. As of today Butel delayed release their software because " issues with the reliability of USB/serial port on the 436/536".
There is no sign of the Siren Wifi App. No beta,nothing. No talk of the Analyze Mode,no beta ,nothing.

Is the design of the 536HP so bad that we may never see a fully functioning scanner ?

whsbuss

How can this be happening! My god, $500 and $600 spent on a radio that some are just turning off because it doesn't work as it should. WOW!

grem467

Vote with your wallet. Why should they fix anything? These are flying off the shelves. Why aren't people returning these until these issues are corrected? If you bought a tv and it didn't perform to the point that you had to turn your old tv back on to watch the channels you want to watch, I doubt you would just keep it. No you would return it. Why is this scanner any different? I get that there isn't really much other choice for TDMA in this market just yet, but why the loyalty? I for one do not have 600.00 to blow "hoping" it will work. I want a 436 bad, but if it doesn't perform as it should , then there is no point buying it.

Companies are profit based, if these things are returned they either will realize they can't beta test on consumers and fix the issues, or they will go away.

I just don't get why scanners are treated any different from any other consumer electronics.

whsbuss

Vote with your wallet. Why should they fix anything? These are flying off the shelves. Why aren't people returning these until these issues are corrected? If you bought a tv and it didn't perform to the point that you had to turn your old tv back on to watch the channels you want to watch, I doubt you would just keep it. No you would return it. Why is this scanner any different? I get that there isn't really much other choice for TDMA in this market just yet, but why the loyalty? I for one do not have 600.00 to blow "hoping" it will work. I want a 436 bad, but if it doesn't perform as it should , then there is no point buying it.

Companies are profit based, if these things are returned they either will realize they can't beta test on consumers and fix the issues, or they will go away.

I just don't get why scanners are treated any different from any other consumer electronics.

I was actually going to pick up a 436 today but not anymore. The disappointing reports have finally brought me to my senses. If Uniden doesn't get it right, I'll wait till May/June for Whistler to see if they have a better answer.

drdiesel1

I for one do not have 600.00 to blow "hoping" it will work. I want a 436 bad, but if it doesn't perform as it should , then there is no point buying it.

I do happen to have the funds. I'm keeping mine as an example of why not to buy one, as the tech advisor to many many people.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Well said.

I was going to purchase a 536 over the weekend, but decided to put that action on hold until I see how things play out with all the issues that model seems to be having. When, or if, the reported issues are corrected, then I will gladly purchase a 536. If not, I'll stick with what I have for now and see what Whistler come out with down the road.

drdiesel1

It will get better, aside from the headphone issues and the k-nobs being on the wrong side of the radio everything else can be fixed via firmware.

Unfortunately I bet all the software folks are busy fixing the busted firmware and not working on the Android App.

whsbuss

It will get better, aside from the headphone issues and the k-nobs being on the wrong side of the radio everything else can be fixed via firmware.

Unfortunately I bet all the software folks are busy fixing the busted firmware and not working on the Android App.

I'm not so sure others share your optimism that all cures are within a firmware release. The silence over the past day from UPMan is saying something.

chuck_e7

Premium Subscriber
As with all products, companies will push a product out the door long before it's perfected just to be "first to market", and in some cases many things have to be field tested by "real world" usage before it's a "good" product. I worked in the networking industry for many years and went thru various phases of having to tell a customer, it will be fixed with the next version. It didn't make them happy since they had spent boo-coo bucks on a widget that marketing claimed would be the answer to all their problems. I think Uniden is no different. Give 'em a chance, and I'm sure they will come thru. IMHO..

Highpockets

When UPMan let it out new scanners were coming everybody drove him nuts about how long and I can't wait etc.

Well, he tried to make everyone happy and pushed to get them on the market, trips to Japan and beta testing. I'm sure he thought the reports from beta testers were satisfactory and from what he experienced released them, and problems are showing up, I'm sure he's not happy and reading these threads and working to straighten things out as fast as they can.

Myself, I favoried GRE scanners because they decode digital a little better near my location, but you have to give him some credit for the effort he's putting in.

It must be a mad house at Uniden these days. :)

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
All I can say is that there are alot of un-happy people at this point. I am one of them. There are some good things to the radio but the hardware flaws are a huge concern and still have not received an RMA shipping label for my new radio.

Uniden does not seem to thing that there is no urgency. If they want loyal customers you need to be a loyal company and show some urgency.

I just went back to using my BCD996XT radio at this point. My 600 dollar paper weight with hardware and software flaws has been put in the closet to collect dust until Uniden figures out what they want to do at this point with the urgency to fix these issues.

br0adband

If you're that unhappy with the performance of these new scanners, return them and demand refunds - as noted, making decisions like "not turning it on" or "throwing it in a closet" isn't going to help one bit. They obviously have defects, and that's a reason for a return and refund, regardless of whatever so-called return policy or time limits that the resellers may have in place. If they come out with revisions later on, you can always buy them again if you're so inclined.

Not using them isn't going to change things - demanding returns and refunds will have a lot more effect on things not just from the customer perspective but also the resellers who are customers themselves because they'll be forced to raise hell with Uniden as well.

You paid for defective products that are not working as advertised, there's your valid reason for a return/refund, take advantage of it - if the reseller balks, call your credit card company and file a claim for return/refund because the item(s) are defective and not working as advertised.

Tossing hardware in a closet hoping it'll get fixed at a later time... $500-$600+ gone... are you people being facetious or what? :confused:

rocksteady

I knew that when I purchased my 436 that I would be a real world tester and I would have to be patient for fixes. I like the PSR-800 a little better. But I expected to be a Guinea pig. Anyone that thought it would be perfect right out of the box is being unrealistic.

Sent from my tricked out Droid4!

Highpockets

There is no sign of the Siren Wifi App. No beta,nothing. No talk of the Analyze Mode,no beta ,nothing.

I agree, Uniden has a policy on what UPMan can say, I would like to see them ease up on that policy and let him freely let info out that he feels will keep the users up on what they are working on and it's progress.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Good Point. I have a defective unit and ham station is trying to blow it off and says that Uniden is going to fix it. I guess we have a right to return the item no matter what the time limit is since I paid by credit card. Trust me and Citibank won't tolerate monkey business with their customers buying known bad merchandise. All I will have to do is file a claim and point my credit card company to this forum and bingo done deal. No matter what I will get a credit back to my account.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
For the record I have a 436HP and love it. The folks over at a local news station were quite impressed with it also and I expect a few of these units are going to start showing up on their newsdesk in the very near future. I don't think UPMan or Uniden need to "give it up" at all. I think instead many of the people in here raising hell need to "give it up" and give UPMan a damn break. These threads are getting really out of hand. He knows there's problems and he's fixing them. If that's not good enough for you, then I suggest you sell or return the scanner and be done with it. I have a 7 year old daughter and a 6 year old stepson who whine less than this. :roll:

-AZ

whsbuss

Everyone has an opinion. For those who are happy with their radios, it complaining and whining. For those who feel their purchase is not up to their standard (like hearing actual traffic reliably) its frustrating. I would not want to be in Uniden/UPMan shoes at this point.

They will have to make a decision as to 1) suspend sales/shipping to get the situation under control, or 2) just continue fixing things on the fly.

BoboPinky

I knew that when I purchased my 436 that I would be a real world tester and I would have to be patient for fixes. I like the PSR-800 a little better. But I expected to be a Guinea pig. Anyone that thought it would be perfect right out of the box is being unrealistic.

Sent from my tricked out Droid4!

"Rock", first off let me come right out and say I'm NOT attacking you, saying you are wrong, etc. I'm not.

Also, I'm not upset with UPMan, he is (so it appears) trying to answer questions and keep everyone updated.

But... Let me just say... Unless Uniden was selling these scanners as "beta test units", then no one should even entertain the idea of have to be a "guinea pig", or NOT think it shouldn't be "perfect out of the box".

This device is an "appliance". You / we did not buy it as a "kit", didn't pull out our soldering irons, and aren't expected to hammer on open source code firmware. Anyone that thought it would be perfect right out of the box is RIGHT. Sure, sure, firmware updates to "update" the device, not FIX the numerous problems this device has shipped with, problems that would have been evident to anyone at Uniden just by turning the scanner(s) on. Its ridiculous.

I own an "800" and it has been so much better, even in its first versions, than the 436 and 536 models. And trust me, there are a dozen things I DON'T like about the 800. The 436 that I've had the "pleasure" of working with is a friends. He wanted "the best" scanner, and money was not a concern. With the 800's being pretty much gone, and any support from the manufacturer being non-existent, he went with the 436.

He's on his second one, the first one having SD card / SC card slot - scanner issues. This second one has an issue with the LCD display.

Don't get me wrong, the 436 has some features I wish my 800 had, but at least my 800 works and sounds 1000x better then his 436. We've set them side-by-side.

I realize its hard for anyone that's just laid down over $500.00 for something that has so many problems to accept it, and...... as we all know, there aren't too many choices when it comes to scanners, but no one that is buying anything sold as a ready to go, turn it on and enjoy device, should have to "expect to be a Guinea pig".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.