Uniden Vs Radio Shack Digital Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have a 996, a 396 and a Pro96. Which one is better is debatable. I still think the digital receive is better in the Pro-96,, and I love the virtual scanner folders in the pro96. BUt thats it for that scanner. Its horrible to drive, and why they have put some of the buttons on the front where they did is beyond me.

The 396 could have better receive in some parts of the UHF band, especially the Australian Police band. But its a great little unit, nice size to, I like how compact it is. With the right antenna it is a nice small unit to carry around.

The 996, well I love the 996 at the moment. MIne has been installed in the family car along with access to the serial port so I can hook up a GPS to it. Its great for monitoring the GRN when mobile. The 996 has a few programming restrictions I don't like, such as only 250 talk groups per system, but other then that its a great scanner. I won't be parting with mine for a while.

Another great scanner I have had a while now, and have owned a couple is the 780xlt. Though getting older now, its still a good unit.

You will find all scanners have their bugbears and htings thta people don't like about them. Best thing when buying one is to listen to lots of opinions on various models, as well as get to test a few out yourself if possible.

gmacka

Premium Subscriber
HI DAVE ! I MUST AGREE WITH YOU ON DIGITAL RECEIVE ON PRO 96 IT DOES RECEIVE CLEARER & FASTER THEN 996.HOWEVER THERE ARE A LOT OF MORE OPTIONS WITH 996 UNIDEN SUCH AS TV AUDIO & CUSTOM SEARCHES & PROGRAMED FOR AUSSIE FREQUENCIES PLUS I FEEL AUDIO IS ALSO BETTER.I ALSO HAVE PRO2096 UNIT SET UP IN MY VEHICLE&UNIDEN 996.NEVER A DOLE MOMENT!REGARDS gmacka

SCPD

QRT
I use my Pro96 as a base radio now. I find its works best for me in this configuration. I don;t think it makes a good mobile or portable, simple because its a pain to drive some features in it. I have ot set up for home reception and thats all that needs tp be done to it. Its just scan , pause and the occassional search with it now.
The 996 has better Digital receive then any other Uniden. And it has a digital only receive feature as well, which pretty much cuts out the annoying data burst before each transmission.
The 996 has a tone of great feautes aswell, and the GPS based trunk scanning is great for the GRN. You can't beat it for mobile. Its works a treat. Also there iwll be remote heards released for the 996 next year.

Can't wait to see what Unidne are going to bring out to top this model.

SCPD

QRT
I use my Pro96 as a base radio now. I find its works best for me in this configuration. I dont think it makes a good mobile or portable, simple because its a pain to drive some features in it. I have to set up for home reception and thats all that needs tp be done to it. I just scan , pause and do the occassional search with it now.
The 996 has better Digital receive then any other Uniden. And it has a digital only receive feature as well, which pretty much cuts out the annoying data burst before each transmission.
The 996 has a tone of great feautes as well, and the GPS based trunk scanning is great for the GRN. You can't beat it for mobile. Its works a treat. Also there iwll be remote heards released for the 996 next year.

Can't wait to see what Uniden are going to bring out to top this model.

gmacka

Premium Subscriber
DOES ANYONE ELSE FIND WITH THE NEW UNIDEN 996T WHEN IT RECEIVES ENCRUPTION YOU WILL NOT HEAR ANY OF CONVERSATION ? BUT WITH PRO96 &2096 YOU SOMETIMES HEAR ONE SIDE OF CONVERSATION ! gmacka

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
On the 996, if the comm is "in the clear" and not encrypted, you will hear it. If it is encrypted you will not heart it, it will be blocked and ENC will be displayed. So, if one side is not encrypted, you will hear it.

On the PRO-96, you hear it if it's encrypted or not.

SCPD

QRT
Yes I get the same. If a conversation is only one side encrypted, the 996 will stil allow you to listen to the other side, though the scanner seems to struggle abit during the transition.
The Pro96 doesnt have this issue, because it doesn't mute out encrypted signals, which is damm annoying if you ask me. I would rather not hear all the noise that comes out on an encrypted signal. Digital signals sound bad enough in terms of clarity if you ask me, no matter what radio its on.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
gmacka said:
Dave I Wonder If Radio Shack Will Bring Out A New Model To Replace Pro96 ?

I'm sure Radio Shack is working on somthing, the release of the new DSP update for the 96/2096 tells you that. It will be interesting to see if the handheld turns out to be the PRO-98 or something else.

gmacka said:
I Wonder If You Have Any Knowlegde On Boy Scout Type Scanners ?

Not sure what you mean about "Boy Scout Type Scanners". Do you mean wideband, non-trunking, handhelds?

grant

That already exists
PRO-97 has signal stalker .... Aussie version of PRO96 may have it as well
Uniden 396 and 996 has close call

Grant

Air490

That is the million dollar question gmacka.

It was supposed to have happened at the start of this financial year, but didn't. I don't know of any new date having been set for the full change over.

Status
Not open for further replies.