Uniden Vs Whistler Scanners witch one is the better scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
Hello, I have a question, actually, I have several, my first question is Uniden vs Whistler, what is better in the terms of brands? and 2nd is east of programmability?

and last but not least for fun, lol so next month is my birthday and I'm toying with getting another scanner to add to my collection/ shack so my question is related to the brands,

sometimes I purchase a scanner ib eBay like radio shack, Uniden, or Grecom, so I am very interested in your take on it all,

i been still thinking a Whistler 1040 and 1065 but I am also open to unidens as well, so let the fun and debates begin, ROFLMAO :D

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Ease of programmability and usability would go to the following Uniden models: HP1, HP2, BCD436, BCD536, SDS100 and SDS200.

RF performance is a more complex question. If you are in a rural area with very limited strong signals, or at least no strong signals or FIRSTNET where you are and no simulcast, they may all perform ok. If you have some or as I do all of this all the commercial scanners will perform poorly without adding external filters or finding a “sweet spot,” or alternatively directional antennas if feasible.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I have a question, actually, I have several, my first question is Uniden vs Whistler, what is better in the terms of brands? and 2nd is east of programmability?
:D

Many times it is personal preference and what you feel comfortable with, here is a good objective look at one aspect of the two from @w2lie and his Scanner School podcast...

Akuriko

R8000

Very Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
If you want to receive P25 simulcast, Uniden. Whistler will NOT properly decode it no matter what you do.
Beyond that, both are decent units.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
IMHO none of the current line of P25 capable scanners are "easy" to program...by hand. Using software....different story. I like the Butel products and program my Uniden 536 with both ARC536 and Sentinel.

Ubbe

I don't know about 1045 and 1065 but for the TRX models Whistler listens to users request for help and also listen to feature upgrade ideas and implement them. Uniden hasn't done that for years.

For overall RF performance I would say that Unidens non-simulcast scanners are pretty solid and Whistlers RF are more all over the place.
For features and functions Uniden and Whistler are probably neck to neck but Whistler have some functions and features that are very useful and hold the patent for so Uniden cannot use them.

I haven't used a database with TRX and don't know if 1045/1065 can use it, but Unidens way of using a GPS or enter a zip code for their BCDx36HP scanners makes it as easy as it can get, no programming skills necessary. If you go for a lower tier scanner that require manual programming then it depends of the software used how difficult it can be. Having a paid account on RR allows you to download the required info into the software but will probably need you to know a bit about how the radio system works or it will be easy to make a mistake.

/Ubbe

Akuriko

Hello All, my 45th birthday is coming up next month and i am intrested in a few models of unidens and a few models of whistler as i am getting me a scanner to add to my stack.

1. uniden 325p2
2. uniden 996p2
3. whistler 1040
4. whistler 1065

any pros and ccons to those models, i know 1 is both phase 1 and phase 2 the otherr is phase 1 only.

MStep

Hello All, my 45th birthday is coming up next month and i am intrested in a few models of unidens and a few models of whistler as i am getting me a scanner to add to my stack.

1. uniden 325p2
2. uniden 996p2
3. whistler 1040
4. whistler 1065

any pros and ccons to those models, i know 1 is both phase 1 and phase 2 the otherr is phase 1 only.
An early happy birthday greeting.

Admittedly, our listening conditions and requirements are likely totally different, since I am here in the heart of New York City. I always recommend that folks buy the best that they can afford, and I'm surprised that the Uniden SDS200 does not appear on your list. The SDS200 is the base/mobile version and the SDS100 is the portable version.

Nevertheless, you will find a wealth of information about most of those models here on Radio Reference. Best of luck in your endeavors.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber

1. uniden 325p2
2. uniden 996p2
3. whistler 1040
4. whistler 1065

Of course, the first question anyone is going to ask you is what systems do you want to listen to, but since you put your location on your profile I already know San Juan County in Washington pretty well.

The only Phase 2 system you would have to worry about is the Department of Transportation other than that the SO, FD and State Patrol are all on VHF High and UHF.

It's really a matter of opinion.

As far as the 1065 and the 1040 they are twice rebranded GRE radios that were also made for Radio Shack and were released around 2007. When Whistler bought GRE sight unseen, Lock Stock and Barrel they make cosmetic changes to the same radios.

The 1040 was the little brother of the Radio Shack Pro 96 made by GRE which was introduced in 2003 as one of the first digital scanners along with the bearcat 250d. GRE blew the doors off Uniden. Hands down.

As far as the other Whistler radios, I love the design and the small size and the display, you should Google the PSR 800 made by GRE. It was introduced around 2011 and all the other Whistler models are based on that model with improvements with addition of a keyboard and other upgrades. See what the Google search says.

So you are left with the 325 and the 996 P2 models. Remember they are Phase 2 capable which does not mean that they work well on All Phase 2 systems, that's not a concern for you, at least at this time.

So that brings us to the new Uniden scanners which is either vaporware or going to be introduced soon. We DO NOT discuss the new scanners on this thread. If it looks like it's not going to be coming out anytime soon then look for the best price you can get on a 996 P2 or 325 P2, your choice.

palmerjrusa

1. uniden 325p2
2. uniden 996p2
3. whistler 1040
4. whistler 1065

Nothing much to add to what the above members have said.

Personally I would go for the BCD996P2, it's a great scanner.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
You gave two base models and two portables (or handheld if you prefer). First question that comes to mind is will the scanner remain stationary or will you be traveling with it? That oughta narrow you down to just two. To further narrow it down & going by the database research Bob did in Post #3, only the two Uniden models you gave handle P25 Phase-II which doesn't seem to affect your listening greatly as it exists today if you have no intentions on monitoring DOT. If you're looking to "futureproof" go with either of the two Unidens (or an SDS100 or 200 if within your budget since the current system upgrade trend sways towards simulcast Phase-II) because who knows where the VHF & UHF agencies will be operating 10, 15 or more years from now, just something to consider. Happy birthday!

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I didn't read what scanner you have now that you are adding to. But the only scanner out there to receive Simulcast Trunked systems (King county just switched to one), is the SDS-100 (hand-held) and SDS-200 (base). IF you only want to hear Conventional traffic, then you don't even need Phase II.

RichM

To my ear the Whistler base stations sound better than Uniden base stations, especially on digital. Listening to them side by side the difference in sound quality is fairly obvious to me. The Unidens sound a bit ”tinny” and harsh, Whistler seems to have more mid-range and is more natural sounding IMHO, YMMV. As far a scanning/programming they are both great brands that each have their own strengths and quirks.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
To the OP. I have a Whistler. I'll just say make sure you USE the (SEARCH) box here on Radio Reference regarding the models you are thinking about. SEARCH old comments what others say and their experiences with them. There are 100s and 100s of comments of real life use from people in here. Make use of that data.

Akuriko

the current scanners i have is a 536, radio shack pro 97, whistler 1010, 2- 15x, 30c, 125at,75 xlt, i take my hand helds with me, i listen to everything as far as i can hear with my antenna setup i set up too, i just want another scanner or 9 for my room im making it into a shack :D

Status
Not open for further replies.