Uniden...Where is NXDN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

racingfan360

Well said. I was thinking that this morning. How many times did we say Uniden rushed things out and we wound up being beta testers for the original 436/536? I'd rather wait for the beta testers, if there are any, and do it lile Uniden did with the DMR release. You can either experiment, or you can wait.

Respecting what you've said, the difference for me is that we knew we were dealing with a pre-release version of the DMR firmware for the BCDx36 models: you could make the choice if you wanted to download and test with it, or wait until the public release. Assuming a NXDN alpha or beta release even exists, we don't even seem to be being given that choice right now. I for one would be happy to take part in any testing (just as I did for early versions of DSD+) to help Uniden along.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Respecting what you've said, the difference for me is that we knew we were dealing with a pre-release version of the DMR firmware for the BCDx36 models: you could make the choice if you wanted to download and test with it, or wait until the public release. Assuming a NXDN alpha or beta release even exists, we don't even seem to be being given that choice right now. I for one would be happy to take part in any testing (just as I did for early versions of DSD+) to help Uniden along.

I would gladly test it as well, I did with the DMR. I hear you. I would like to know, because I enjoy listening to railroads when I travel, and since they eventually will move to NXDN I would love to have that option without buying another radio.

prcguy

I thought I heard something on the UPMan appreciation thread. Wait, that was about Whistler and NXDN on the Whistler Wendy appreciation thread, sorry.
prcguy

Wow I'm really let down....I would of bet big that Uniden would have at the very least gave us some kind of idea that NXDN was coming soon after if not before, the Whistler NXDN release. It's like a ghost town on the forum about the matter.... Am i the only one that feels this this way or what?

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
NXDN for UNIDEN

I have heard many stories on NXDN coming to the 536HP and 436HP and I have heard stories that it's not, so if you have any thoughts or insight let me know! Thanks

GaRebel

Premium Subscriber
Might be time to move on over to Whistler. At least they keep you posted on what is going on!

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I cannot buy Whistler Radios as they are too too sensitive to my area where I live and Im a diehard UNIDEN guy! Thanks for your thought Buddrousa

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
In good faith I added a Amazon lightning deal on a 2nd 536 today for $398.95 But I have noticed my TRX-s after the updates are tracking a 7 site DMR system better today and the NXDN repeaters local are clear and a 8 site simulcast NXDN system is clear.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
In good faith I added a Amazon lightning deal on a 2nd 536 today for $398.95 But I have noticed my TRX-s after the updates are tracking a 7 site DMR system better today and the NXDN repeaters local are clear and a 8 site simulcast NXDN system is clear.

Sweet, them Whistlers are just to sensitive in my house, I have done alotta research and homework on them and spoke for hours with Scanner Master and the Uniden's are just my preferred pick i guess you would say! LOL.

I like sitting down and programming my radios and making it all work the way I want and I hate the zip code features totally so i'm picking up 2 536HP2 radios next month

SOFA_KING

Uniden aint got nothin'. Bubkus!

And why all the "drama" with Uniden anyway? Avatar hints and teases. Very unprofessional. Just DO IT already and skip the drama.

Personally, I think Whistler handles these upgrades much better. Yeah, sure, they need better software, but at least we know what is coming and we know when it is here. No drama. No using us as Beta Testers either. And NO CHARGE for the upgrades. Just DO IT and be done with it already!

Phil

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I must admit to be very surprised that we have heard no word from Paul Opitz (UPMan) since the Whistler NXDN update. I certainly hope it is not any health-related issue. Assuming that is not the case, its hard to know whether a surprise is in store for us in the next week or so, or as Phil believes "Bubkus." Certainly seems like quite a few folks are going the TRX-1/2 route right now because of the NXDN uptake, which has to be somewhat impacting x36HP sales. However, I suspect quite a few of us reading this have both the x36HP and TRX series of radios.
I hope Phil is wrong and there is a surprise in store in the near future. We will have to wait and see. Happy Holidays to everybody.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the 436 and 536 have enough hardware built in to allow for continued expansion? I read that the reason Whister had to release new models to support NXDN, etc, was because there wasn't enough ROM memory on board to handle required firmware updates to allow them to support further expansion. I wouldn't put past Uniden, given how many companies operate, to not bring the NXDN to the current line, and release new models that support Provice and DRM and then offer NXDN as a paid firmware update since these units are 3 and 4 years old.

Frankly, the prospect of this happening is what has me in wait and see mode before I purchase especially since Whisler new units and Uniden's are quite aged.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
And NO CHARGE for the upgrades. Just DO IT and be done with it already!

Phil

That really bothers me when people say there buying a Whistler and getting a deal on the upgrades! Your not!! Your paying fo the upgrades when you buy the radio!

SOFA_KING

Does anyone know if the 436 and 536 have enough hardware built in to allow for continued expansion? I read that the reason Whister had to release new models to support NXDN, etc, was because there wasn't enough ROM memory on board to handle required firmware updates to allow them to support further expansion. I wouldn't put past Uniden, given how many companies operate, to not bring the NXDN to the current line, and release new models that support Provice and DRM and then offer NXDN as a paid firmware update since these units are 3 and 4 years old.

Frankly, the prospect of this happening is what has me in wait and see mode before I purchase especially since Whisler new units and Uniden's are quite aged.

I REALLY hope they wouldn't do something like that. One thing I give Uniden credit for is extending the life of the x36 line by not making me throw out my scanner and start over again with yet another $500+ unit. In fact, they used to do that all the time and I stopped buying Uniden scanners as a result. I don't want to keep buying new scanners as they "spoon feed" little feature additions. What a waste!

Keep the x36 moving forward. IF they did put out something "better", maybe the same scanner with a better color screen or something...or something truly advanced with real I&Q demod for LSM systems. Otherwise, not interested!

Phil

SOFA_KING

That really bothers me when people say there buying a Whistler and getting a deal on the upgrades! Your not!! Your paying fo the upgrades when you buy the radio!

Still much cheaper in the long run. Whistler handles all the upgrades without all the hassle and licensing complications. I like the way Whistler does it better, although I DO have issues with their software constraints. And I prefer my Uniden x36 scanners for many other performance issues along with GPS controlled scan selection.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.